View Full Version : N70 now shipping

3GScottishUser
28th September 2005, 09:40 AM
Nokia today announced that it has started deliveries of the Nokia N70, the handset maker's first 3G smartphone to include an in-body 2 Megapixel camera. Equipped with a LED flash and dual cameras for video calling, the N70 also incorporates a stereo FM radio with support for Visual Radio, Bluetooth 2.0 and USB connectivity which runs in tandem with Nokia's new XpressTransfer solution which automatically copies all photos and video clips from the N70 to a PC.

The Nokia N70 is also among the first Nokia devices to include the Catalogs Client mobile shopping application, which lets users browse, trial and purchase applications, services and content designed for the Nokia N70.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/6193.html

whatleydude
28th September 2005, 12:17 PM
WOO!

I upgrade in 12 days..

Fingers crossed Vodafone will come through for me.

Yssybyl
28th September 2005, 01:00 PM
Don't hold your breath :) I think they will keep putting you off until November. These things always get delayed.

Shipping has only just started to a few European countries, it will be another few weeks before the UK operators get their hands on them. But they *are* worth waiting for. I've been testing one for the past few months and they really are quite smart. Wait until you see the photogallery application :)

Can't give too much away though...

Ben
28th September 2005, 01:09 PM
Hey! Welcome to Talk3G :D

The Series 60 OS does indeed look to be improving rapidly - is it the photo gallery where you scroll though the pictures as if they're on a wheel? I think there are already some pretty detailed N70 reviews about, and I definitely like the way the graphical interface on Series 60 is headed. The phones themselves could do with being a bit more powerful though...

I'm sure it'll sell as well if not better than the 6680. It'll no doubt make it to Vodafone first, that always seems to be the way.

Yssybyl
28th September 2005, 01:22 PM
That's the one :) It's been the most apparant "wow" factor for all the people I've shown it to...

The underlying software is also much improved in terms of features and stability.

There's every indication that this will be the new Nokia flagship handset as it will be attractive to a much larger user base that the N90/N91. It fits nicely in your hand, isn't too heavy and the photos are great [it'll be a while yet before a mobile can take the place of my EOS300D, but for point-click-print it does the trick and has enough light balancing and picture modes to satisfy the casual user]

Now that it's been delayed I guess advertising will target the Christmas market, but personally I'd rather have a well tested feature rich phone a little late than something rushed to market just because there was a deadline...

But I suppose I'm biased :)

For those members in some of the other N70 threads being tempted to buy them from outside the UK: Please be patient though and not tempted to buy them from online auction sites... these are almost 100% of the time spoof auctions on hijacked user IDs and you'll end up losing your cash...

getti
28th September 2005, 03:48 PM
It does look nice, but look at the pictures on the link. The phone looks like it will get totally covered in finger marks though.

Yssybyl
28th September 2005, 04:11 PM
The silver/black model might need to be kept clean, but the ivory/aubergine [purple/cream to us normal folk] seems to be fairly finger mark resistant and the ink marks and tea stains I got on mine wiped off fairly easily. The screen gets a little dirty at times, mainly because I tend to pull it out of my bag/pocket by the screen leaving a perfect thumb/fingerprint, but a quick wipe sorts this out.

Wouldn't recommend using it after changing a tyre though ;)

getti
28th September 2005, 05:57 PM
If i was in the market for a new 3G phone i would go for the N70 if i am honest. However i already have the ultimate 3G device in the HTC Universal.

All my 3G and PDA needs in 1 device

whatleydude
30th September 2005, 09:44 AM
Well - in other news - the Oct 11th date has slipped to 'mid-october'.

So it looks like it could well be November!

:(

Yssybyl
30th September 2005, 04:23 PM
I still think you're looking at early to mid November for Vodaphone Whatleydude.

Don't mean to make you jealous but I received my "proper" version this morning, but I think I'm one of 30 people in the UK to get one. However, you may see people with them if you're in the southeast of the UK.

Good things come to those who wait ;)

whatleydude
30th September 2005, 04:59 PM
How come you got one fella?

An N70 yeah?

Who with and where from?

Yssybyl
2nd October 2005, 11:31 PM
I'm on the inside... so I got it free! :)

I think you're still looking at start November for Operator branded versions -maybe the Nokia shops and places like carphone warehouse will get it earlier - not a side of it I'm involved in, so I can't say for definate. If I find out then I'll let you know.

In the meantime I'll happily answer questions :)

Ben
3rd October 2005, 01:44 AM
Cheers for the info :D Some cheeky pictures would be fantastic if you get a mo! Feel free to slap 'Top Secret' across 'em! ;)

S'gunna be one cool phone!

whatleydude
3rd October 2005, 10:02 AM
Well I'm really looking forward to getting one - so a brief review of some kind would be REALLY handy.

I'm stepping up from a 6630 y'see.

I want to know as much about it as possible!

:)

Cheers ears.. I take it you like it then?

Yssybyl
3rd October 2005, 01:23 PM
I do like it, very much...

I'll take some pics (using the other N70 I'm still "borrowing", and ensuring they are covered enough so that unscrupulous souls can't use them to trick people on ebay) and write a review tonight.

Anything in particular you're curious about or just general info?

whatleydude
3rd October 2005, 02:38 PM
General Info really..

User interface.. how it feels in your hand.. Is it easy to use with PC Suite.. can you install Symbian Software on it.. whats the radio like.. the mp3 playback..

Etc etc etc..

Yeah - basics!

Nice one chap.

whatleydude
4th October 2005, 11:35 AM
FYI - Vodafone's new October catalogue has (amongst others) the N70 as 'COMING SOON'.
I asked yet again and I got 20/10/05 this time..

It just keeps slipping!
Grargh!

Yssybyl
4th October 2005, 11:40 AM
review and photos will have to wait another day I'm afraid as I got home last night and thought "laptop or beer?" and went for the latter...

You should have put money on November for Vodafone :) I'm not 100% that they've accepted the software yet... it'll be at least 2 weeks after that...

Yssybyl
5th October 2005, 03:35 PM
Bit of news....

VF, Orange and T-Mobile have formally accepted the software [end last week] so give it a couple of weeks to get the variants flashed up and the units shipped and they should be in stores end Oct/start Nov... It was what we've been anticipating, but it's nice to have a bit of firmness about it :)

whatleydude
5th October 2005, 03:55 PM
Nice one chap.

VF are still telling me dates between the 15th and 20th of this month..
But trust me - as soon as I have one - you guys will know the same day.

Trix
5th October 2005, 09:06 PM
Hi all,
I’m posting because I need your advice.

I’ve been waiting for an eternity for the Nokia N70 to come out (my last phone contract ended in June) It’s just such a gorgeous phone, I’m its biggest fan . . . . or so I thought!?

Then the 6280 came along, and now I’m totally torn down the middle!

It’s all about the size of the screen for me ;) So the 6280 is very impressive!

So which do I pick? The super cool N70, or the mini TV 6280 ??? :confused:
Answers on a postcard please.

Ben
5th October 2005, 09:15 PM
Hell Trix, welcome to Talk3G!

The 6280 is a Series 40 device, making it a very different beast to the N70. If you want an advanced operating system allowing you to install your own applications from a massive range available then the N70 is your device.

The 6280 however will probably be easier to use, though more basic in functionality. Like the 6230 and 6230i, I don't doubt that the 6280 will be a fantastic phone, it just isn't a smartphone. It's smaller and lighter, though.

As a 6680 owner I thoroughly recommend getting the N70 and Series 60. But, if you don't need Series 60, then the 6280 could be right up your street!

whatleydude
6th October 2005, 08:58 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with Ben's post.

( in case you were seeking a second opinion! )

...I for one am getting the N70.

Trix
6th October 2005, 09:16 PM
Well Im not a very techie person, so sounds like I wouldn't really be using the N70 to its full potential, as I'm not one for installing applications etc (would probably end up breaking it if I did)

So if the 6280 is gona keep things simple, then it could be the one for me :)

Shame though, I quite liked the prospect of saying 'Ive got a smartphone' and I've been waiting for the N70 for soooo long, kinda feel a bit disloyal just turning my back on it the minute something new comes along. Oh well :p

Anyways, thanks 4 the advice

Ben
6th October 2005, 09:40 PM
No problem, I hope it helped. Keep us up to date on what you do in the end, we'd love to hear about your new phone when you get it - which ever it is! It's almost always tough to decide upon a new phone. It's very rare when something comes along, like the 6680 did for me, that ticks all the right boxes!

Nosskibird
6th October 2005, 11:13 PM
Ive just seen this auction on Ebay #8340036904. It's 55x Nokia N70's for a Buy It Now price of £3,700. Could someone have hold of this many already???

I rang o2 again yesterday as i've been eligible for an upgrade since 16th Sept but as they still don't have a date for the N70 they tried to palm me off with how 3g won't take off for another 2 years etc and didn't i like any of their current handsets.

What a bunch of con merchants trying to shift old stock! I promptly told the sales lady that I wanted it for the internet quality as opposed to video calling and if she had bothered to check my GPRS/WAP usage she wouldn't of embarrased herself.

Never mind, im thinking of getting some p/t Xmas work at The Link in the Bull Ring just for some inside info/discounts!!!!

Nokia really are taking the piss this year.

whatleydude
7th October 2005, 07:15 AM
Alright mate - two things:

1) Those ebay sales are well dodgy. I looked at one a few weeks ago and the dude I spoke with over email wanted the money left in a safety deposit box and he'd special deliver the goods to me.. all very very shifty. I kept asking if the goods were stolen and where he managed to get them from so soon and not once did he give me a satisfactory answer..
So - yeah - be very wary.

2) OMG. How bad are o2?! You'd think they'd be pushing 3G more than anything else. I really cant believe the saleswoman said that to you. Shocking.
Well done you for sticking to your guns.

Yssybyl
7th October 2005, 10:52 AM
Just as an add on to the ebay discussion. Almost all of the auctions are listen on hijacked userIDs and say "do not contact me through ebay because I won't reply" etc etc. They have been listed since the N70 was launched back at the end of April and contain only the publicity shots or images in ppl's hands that were taken at the launch. Nokia and eBay have been shutting them down as quickly as they appear, but there are always a few that will slip through the net.

I buy and sell on eBay a lot, and never ever buy anything that is listed with a stock photo or one that can easily be found on review sites/forums etc. If they won't take paypal then I also steer clear.

There are also auctions for the N91 which isn't for sale anywhere in the world yet! and the N90 as well as the N70. Anyone offerring phones for sale before they are publicly available is almost certainly a crook. These ppl are the bane of my life...

*steps down from soapbox and goes for a coffee*

getti
7th October 2005, 10:55 AM
Expansys have a price for Sim Free N70's now but no idea when they are due in. The price? £604.95

whatleydude
7th October 2005, 02:23 PM
AAAAAAAAAARGH!

...sorry - my Wallet really hurts.

Jeezus.

Yssybyl
7th October 2005, 03:45 PM
It's *almost* tempting to sell mine if they're going at that price! Came as a suprise to me though...

Jon3G
7th October 2005, 04:08 PM
Expansys have a price for Sim Free N70's now but no idea when they are due in. The price? £604.95

That price is crazy

In the Hugh Symons price guide they are £275 inc VAT, all you need to do is set up account and purchase the phone when you have too

Denyo1977
9th October 2005, 04:34 PM
I know (nearly) no one has the N70 so far. But does anyone know when listening to the radio and I don't want to use the Virtual Radio thing (no point anyway with only one radio station offering it in UK), does it still show the station's name automatically (RDS) or do I have enter the name myself?

Nosskibird
10th October 2005, 05:28 AM
Thanks guys for exposing the Ebay scammers!

I found this website with a few sim free N70's if anyone is interested and has £499.99 to spare!! I'm not that flush or desperate thank god!

http://www.foneplanet.com/default.asp?showpage=productinfo.asp&pid=1034828&bid=5259&aid=CD12&opt=

whatleydude
10th October 2005, 02:32 PM
Give it a week or so mate and you'll be able to get it on the Newtorks.

I've spoken with Vodafone again today and they insist that they should have the N70 into their warehouse on the 14th.
With the official rollout starting on the 17th.

Yssybyl
10th October 2005, 03:28 PM
I know (nearly) no one has the N70 so far. But does anyone know when listening to the radio and I don't want to use the Virtual Radio thing (no point anyway with only one radio station offering it in UK), does it still show the station's name automatically (RDS) or do I have enter the name myself?

Just checked this... It doesn't show the station name :(
You can cheat and get a list of settings via your service provider, although the list I got from VF wasn't particularly helpful as I'd've liked to listen to more than BBC Home Counties local radio...

I'm not too keen on the white headphones you get with the N70 - they don't seem very receptive, although it may just be that i'm in a bit of a rubbish signal area...

whatleydude
10th October 2005, 03:54 PM
Can you use the old style Nokia headphones?
I assume the pop-port is still the same?

Yssybyl
10th October 2005, 03:57 PM
Yep, it's the standard "we only want you to use our accessories" pop- port ;)

whatleydude
10th October 2005, 04:20 PM
lol - cool.

Bet it wont fit in my 6630 desktop charger/video-call stand though.
Boo!

Any suggestions on an N70-friendly desktop charger/stand?
Cheers ears.

Denyo1977
10th October 2005, 07:13 PM
Just checked this... It doesn't show the station name :(
You can cheat and get a list of settings via your service provider, although the list I got from VF wasn't particularly helpful as I'd've liked to listen to more than BBC Home Counties local radio...

I'm not too keen on the white headphones you get with the N70 - they don't seem very receptive, although it may just be that i'm in a bit of a rubbish signal area...

Thanks for checking anyway. Not a thing that would put me off, was just curious as the W800i shows the station names.

Btw received an Email today from Vodafone that the N70 will be released this Wednesday (12/10).

Trix
10th October 2005, 08:31 PM
Gona get well jealous if U lot all start parading UR new N70's in 2 days time! :(

*Has tantrum and storms off to sulk*

getti
10th October 2005, 09:06 PM
Also on PAYG?

Denyo1977
10th October 2005, 09:19 PM
Also on PAYG?

Didn't ask about PAYG. Am lucky if I can afford it on pay monthly :p

getti
10th October 2005, 11:06 PM
Expansys can order you one now direct from Nokia but at £600 sim free

whatleydude
11th October 2005, 07:11 AM
The bloke in Vodafone High St Ken insists he won't have it til Monday..

Grr.

damiancutts
11th October 2005, 07:41 PM
spoke to o2 online they start shipping on 31-10-05 and they gave me a quote of £159.99

whatleydude
12th October 2005, 08:58 AM
I had a look in Phones 4 U yesterday and they have it available* on 02, Vodafone and Three.

*by 'available' I mean 'not-in-stock-but-you-can-ask-for-a-demo-and-we'll-try-and-show-you-the-6680'. That was a funny conversation.

"The N70 sir? Yes.. Here it is."

"Er... No. That's the 6680.."

DOH!

Ben
12th October 2005, 10:00 AM
I wonder if that was a 'Phones4U special offer'? Or maybe a 'Phones4U special-needs offer'. That's disgraceful! But it's not like we haven't come to expect that from P4U.

Denyo1977
12th October 2005, 07:35 PM
Called Vodafone today and no, it has not been released. I was told that Friday will be the day. Somehow I doubt it but I will have to wait and see.

getti
12th October 2005, 08:42 PM
I can confirm that Voda are getting in either this week or next

GerbilChops
12th October 2005, 10:18 PM
I have bin in town in Plymouth, we r usually last to get anything down here in the south west :-( and in the carphonewarehouse they said a couple of weeks. In this other phone shop they sed next year and in the link they sed 7-10 days.
Does any1 reli no wen it is comin out cuz i am so despirate 4 1 i nagged and neagged my parents to let me get a contract fone and when the finally give in it isnt out!!!!!!! It was supposed to b out ages ago!!

The T
12th October 2005, 10:37 PM
Ordered today phone number from Vodafone Website as I needed to supply PAC, £40 for phone, good tariff.

Ben
12th October 2005, 11:16 PM
Welcome to Talk3G The T!

Ordered today? That's great news. Any idea when it'll arrive? You must be rather excited!

getti
12th October 2005, 11:24 PM
I have bin in town in Plymouth, we r usually last to get anything down here in the south west :-( and in the carphonewarehouse they said a couple of weeks. In this other phone shop they sed next year and in the link they sed 7-10 days.
Does any1 reli no wen it is comin out cuz i am so despirate 4 1 i nagged and neagged my parents to let me get a contract fone and when the finally give in it isnt out!!!!!!! It was supposed to b out ages ago!!

Hey i didnt know you were in Plymouth. Im in Torquay and often travel to plymouth

Hands0n
12th October 2005, 11:36 PM
I had a look in Phones 4 U yesterday and they have it available* on 02, Vodafone and Three.

*by 'available' I mean 'not-in-stock-but-you-can-ask-for-a-demo-and-we'll-try-and-show-you-the-6680'. That was a funny conversation.

"The N70 sir? Yes.. Here it is."

"Er... No. That's the 6680.."

DOH!

P4U .....how very P4U of them ... LOL .......... oh thats so funny, my ribs hurt. Straight from the classic Monty Python Parrot sketch ..... "It's not dead sir, it's resting.......pining for the fjords" I have come to the conclusion that they are specially trained and not the brain-dead this-is-the-only-firm-that-would-take-me-on that they portray. The salesman should be made to write out 1,000 times "A 6680 is not the same as an N70".

Okay, so who's trading up from a 6680 to an N70 then? Oh, and why?

3g-g
13th October 2005, 12:02 AM
Okay, so who's trading up from a 6680 to an N70 then? Oh, and why?

Not me!

Although the camera is better, there's nothing else more that appeals enough to make me wanna splash the cash.

I do like the Nokia E series though, well, the one that looks like a Palm Trio. I have a stange "thing" for devices that can do everything.

whatleydude
13th October 2005, 06:18 AM
Fingers crossed I'll be getting my N70 in the next 24hrs.

Ordered it from Vodafone on 191 yesterday and they said they had it in stock and it would be with me today...

...I'll report back later and let you know!

LeMotor
13th October 2005, 10:23 AM
Want to let you know that I ordered my N70 by phone on T-Mobile Web 'n' Walk 200 just now...will arrive tomorrow!

whatleydude
13th October 2005, 11:17 AM
Hurrah!

At 11:15 this morning - 13/10/05!

My new Nokia N70 arrived from Vodafone.

GET. IN.

( attached picture as proof )

Ben
13th October 2005, 11:42 AM
Brilliant! Wow, they got that to you really quick!

What are your first impressions? Feel free to spoil us with pictures to drool over :D

Yssybyl
13th October 2005, 11:45 AM
I'm looking forward to some non-biased opinions ;) Just don't tell me it's rubbish or my butt will be on the line...

whatleydude
13th October 2005, 11:59 AM
lol!

Well - because it came straight from the warehouse and not from a store - its currently charging up on my desk c/o its little nokia charger adaptor..

Once its had a couple of hours though I'm gonna turn it on and let it do its thing with my 6630, (synchronise the data and contacts etc), then I'll pop my 512mb dv rs-mmc in it so I can listen to my mp3s via my funky white earphones... and I'll be away!

By the way - took me bloody ages to figure out how to put the battery in!
The back of the phone is pretty seamless!
lol

I'm SO pleased.
Its the shiny silver version too..

SHINY SHINY!

Denyo1977
13th October 2005, 07:53 PM
Just ordered the N70, but I have to till Monday :(
A bit annoyed I have to pay £15 for the courier service.

aidey6
13th October 2005, 09:17 PM
I just got one on from my local Vodafone shop this afternoon! the sales assistant said they had it yesterday (it was the only one they had too). I am trading up from a N7610, so i am now a 3G user :)

I could have upgraded for £65, but chose to canx (and downgrade to lowest tariff) as i could not wait any longer!!

Nice program which allows me to copy contacts, pix and vids over

Ben
13th October 2005, 09:38 PM
Welcome to Talk3G aidey6!

It's fantastic to hear so many of you getting your hands on this phone so quickly. Fingers crossed it has been well tested.

Who is it who's making you pay for delivery, Denyo? Sounds a bit off!

getti
13th October 2005, 10:09 PM
As soon as Expansys drop the price from £605 to around £500 or less I will get my hands on one too.

Out of all the 1.3 megapixel camera phones for 3G, Nokia had the best quality in the 6630 & 6680 so i can only imagine what it's like having a 2 megapixel lens with auto focus :eek:

aidey6
13th October 2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks Ben,

Blimey £15 that's a bit steep vodafone were going to charge me £3.95; that was next day delivery too, but i was too impatient!

It has the Vodafone screensaver, but it is not branded and you can have your own mp3's as ringtones (i only add that as i've heard other people state that vodafone handsets not allowing people to have their own mp3 tunes as ringtones)

cambridgew10
14th October 2005, 01:45 AM
i ordered mine too today from the vodafone phonesale, they said it will arrive tomorrow....today its 01.37am!!!! oh well hope so, one thing tough i paid £90 for it for an 18 months contr. paying £20 x month( 125min+250text etc). T mobile offered me almost the same conditions on contract. anyw i'll post info once i figure it how to work it...

Denyo1977
14th October 2005, 04:18 PM
Maybe I wasn't thinking straight last night but if they really charge me £15 for not even a next day delivery I woul dbe pi..ed off great time.
Had a look on the internet and if I had cancelled the contract and got a new one I would have payed £120 for the phone on Anytime 200. And what do I have to pay? £180!

whatleydude
14th October 2005, 04:51 PM
That sucks!

I got mine for £50 + £3.75 delivery...

cambridgew10
14th October 2005, 05:08 PM
That sucks!

I got mine for £50 + £3.75 delivery...
i can't believe i'm still waiting for mine:mad: , you have been blessed in more than one way my friend!!! its 5pm and still no delivery. Thats really annoying especially coz i had to stay indoor allday. i called voda and they told me that there is time untill 6pm, and i sayd "and then???".... call us back saturday, which is when i work all day offcourse. Anyway i lost all hope to get it today, hopefully monday. that really sucks tough....

GerbilChops
14th October 2005, 09:28 PM
Rang vodafone today, the woman sed that they were just closing and that she wud ring me on monday bout gettin my fone!!:mad: I want it NOW lol!
Oh well when i have waited months 4 it wot is a few more days?
Let ya no wen i finally get it!

C ya's

GerbilChops
15th October 2005, 03:14 PM
:) Got my fone today from the vodafone shop and i love it. it is smaller than i thought it wud b and even more gorgeous!!
I will upload sum pics later:)

Nosskibird
15th October 2005, 03:54 PM
Welcome to Talk3G aidey6!

It's fantastic to hear so many of you getting your hands on this phone so quickly. Fingers crossed it has been well tested.

Who is it who's making you pay for delivery, Denyo? Sounds a bit off!
Well i took great pleasure in sticking 2 fingers up at o2 yesterday and changed my contract to Vodafone. They gave me the N70 for half the price o2 wanted for upgrade, matched the contract, gave me my first months line rental free, following 5 months half price and 3 months free insurance!
Oh and the delivery is £3.75 which should be with me Monday.

Thanks for all the info on this forum it has been a real help in choosing my new phone and where to get it from. Can't wait to show it off now!

Nosskibird
15th October 2005, 03:58 PM
i ordered mine too today from the vodafone phonesale, they said it will arrive tomorrow....today its 01.37am!!!! oh well hope so, one thing tough i paid £90 for it for an 18 months contr. paying £20 x month( 125min+250text etc). T mobile offered me almost the same conditions on contract. anyw i'll post info once i figure it how to work it...

Hiya, Vodafone gave it to me for £50 as I told them o2 were charging £99.99 (but still not available until week commencing 31st Oct) but it's probably because i'm paying £30 on 18 month contract with 200 mins and 500 texts. First month free though and following 5 months half price.

Barter Barter Barter is all i can recommend to anyone who hasn't bought yet!

aidey6
17th October 2005, 11:43 AM
The issue i've had with mine is that the Gallery can sometimes take a while to open, (I have 31meg free on the card and 19meg free on the phone)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that it recorded in mp4 352x288 (same as N90) although you need to use lowest settings if you want to send an MMS

whatleydude
17th October 2005, 12:05 PM
Mine's ok...

I've got a 512mb card.. it takes a second or two but its alright.

I've managed to get Agile Messenger working too - it just needed 'un' and then 're' -installing!

One issue I discovered over the weekend though was (and this might be hard to explain - so bear with me)

On my 6630, when I click 'send' after writing a text msg, I would almost always automatically push 'red' to go back to the standby screen and then lock my phone and put it in my pocket. The 'outbox' icon would appear on my main screen and stay there until the msg was sent.

On the N70, habit has been forcing me to do the same thing. But with a different result. The 'red' button now cancels whatever applications are running. So even though the thing comes up saying 'message sending' - if you push 'red'; it cancels.

I didn't know this. Half the texts I 'sent' over the weekend didnt go at all..

"Had a great night saturday where were ya? I did text ya.."

"No you didnt..."

AAARGH!

Hands0n
17th October 2005, 02:34 PM
What a Larry :)

How silly of Nokia to make such a fundamental change to how the "Red" button works. There must be be a lot of new N70 owners hanging around bars waiting for someone to turn up LOL.

Ben
17th October 2005, 02:53 PM
That sounds bizzare! I've only just gotten used to having the multitaskingness of the 6680's Series 60 OS, using the red button to leave applications running in the background, and they go and change it?! :S

3g-g
17th October 2005, 03:29 PM
So... now the red button cancels everything down?? So you don't have the issue of having to close all the applications because you haven't gone through the menu structure and clicked on "exit"?

Jagsman
17th October 2005, 04:22 PM
When you say the red button do u mean the hang up button?

If that is the one you mean then i dont have that problem, sent a message to my other number and pressed the red hung up button while it was sending and the message sent no problem.

whatleydude
17th October 2005, 04:30 PM
That sounds bizzare! I've only just gotten used to having the multitaskingness of the 6680's Series 60 OS, using the red button to leave applications running in the background, and they go and change it?! :S

Well yes and no.

At the moment - I'm pretty sure the red button closes everything.

But - if, like me, you're used to mulit-tasking everything you can carry on that way - you just have to do it differently.

Take my text example I gave earlier.
Instead of pushing 'red', I now push the 'menu key' which takes me (obviously) to the menu. From there I exit using the 'exit' key.
Leaving the messaging function... functioning!
With me?

Some programs (like the Radio and the Music player) actually have an option on them to 'play in background' ..which does exactly that.

But from now on - pushing 'red' shuts EVERYTHING.

PS ....found the new version of Snake(s) today. Wow.
lol

Hands0n
17th October 2005, 05:27 PM
See. ....... what we needed was two buttons. One to close down individual apps. One to close down the lot! Not this see-saw'ing between versions of the OS. Grrrrrrrrrrrr gnash grumble mumble mutter

whatleydude
18th October 2005, 12:30 PM
Anyone else getting told twice that they have a new text message?

Once when they get one and then again when they open it?

getti
18th October 2005, 03:03 PM
Expansys today dropped the price from £604.99 to £589.99 so thats £15 off. Hopefully when im back from paris it will be about £550 and then I will order via my Today On 3G store and get 5% given back to me which is £27.50 so that makes it £522 which is nice

Denyo1977
18th October 2005, 08:54 PM
Received my N70 today. I really like it but what I don't like is the lid for the memory card. It's bound to break off.

Yssybyl
19th October 2005, 12:51 PM
Take my text example I gave earlier.
Instead of pushing 'red', I now push the 'menu key' which takes me (obviously) to the menu. From there I exit using the 'exit' key.
Leaving the messaging function... functioning!
With me?

Some programs (like the Radio and the Music player) actually have an option on them to 'play in background' ..which does exactly that.

But from now on - pushing 'red' shuts EVERYTHING.

PS ....found the new version of Snake(s) today. Wow.
lol

FYI a long press of the menu key will allow you to switch between background apps so you can quickly get back to the home screen (telephone icon) - I find this the easiest way to leave apps running in the bg.

You'll get used to it ;)

New snakes is great... worth the upgrade alone inmho ;)

Are you (or anyone else for that matter) still having dual notifications of new messages?

getti
19th October 2005, 01:09 PM
Expansys were asking £605 for the N70, Now they want £590 and it will be in stock 5th November.

However I have now found it at another well known online shop IN STOCK for only £460.

I wont post where because I want to get one but have to wait til next friday, and i want to make sure they have stock :D :p

Jon3G
19th October 2005, 04:56 PM
Expansys were asking £605 for the N70, Now they want £590 and it will be in stock 5th November.

However I have now found it at another well known online shop IN STOCK for only £460.

I wont post where because I want to get one but have to wait til next friday, and i want to make sure they have stock :D :p

you snake :) :p

3g-g
19th October 2005, 05:16 PM
£485 here... with 3 months free insurance worth £20...

Seems to be the cheapest I can find it... That link always takes you to the N90 for some reason, however on the LHS of the page are the other SIM free handsets. :)

Come on getti, share with the community the location of N70s at £460! I'm sure a whole load of other people on tinternet will have also found it by next friday!

http://www.livetelecom.com/erol.html#305x7980

getti
19th October 2005, 05:57 PM
www.l8shop.net

whatleydude
20th October 2005, 07:46 AM
Are you (or anyone else for that matter) still having dual notifications of new messages?

Yeah man - I mentioned it in an earlier post - it doesn't annoy me that much yet - but I do want to get rid of it if possible..

whatleydude
20th October 2005, 11:59 AM
By the way - anyone know how to rotate pics in the gallery?!

Yssybyl
20th October 2005, 12:41 PM
By the way - anyone know how to rotate pics in the gallery?!

Gallery - > highlight thumbnail -> lsk (options) - > Edit -> Options -> Apply effect. A popup will show various options, rotate CW and CCW are on the top row indicated by circular arrows.

If you take a pic with the dedicated shutter button then it will auto rotate so it's the right way up when viewed through the gallery.

What version of software do you have? I'll chase up whether there's a fix yet for the dual notifications.

whatleydude
20th October 2005, 12:44 PM
Cheers mate -

one push of *#0000* later and...

v 2.0536.0.2
12-09-05
RM-54

I would imagine thats the only one knocking around...?

I found the rotate thingy in the end - its just a pain when it used to be just one button y'know?

Yssybyl
20th October 2005, 12:56 PM
Some of the later vodafone handsets may have 2.0539.1.1. Must admit I've not heard of that error, but I'll do a bit of digging and see what I can find.

getti
20th October 2005, 03:12 PM
Well guys I am a VERY happy person. Managed to find a Nokia N70 in stock for £460 and they only had 1 left...... of which I managed to order.

Had to borrow £150 but i get paid next week so that was not a problem. Just got the email to say it's been dispatched and i will get it before 1.00 tomorrow.

Sim free N70 with my Orange PAYG 3G Sim card and what's best.... NO BLOODY HOMESCREEN!!!.

Plus Pro Evo 5 and Football Manager 06 are out tomorrow, my birthday on Sunday and i got a trip to disneyland paris next week.

Ahhhh what a great day

whatleydude
20th October 2005, 03:32 PM
Happy Birthday for Sunday!

getti
20th October 2005, 03:39 PM

GerbilChops
21st October 2005, 09:10 AM
I heard what some of you said about when u press the red button whilst sending a text and it cancells it, well mine dont do that, its just stays in the outbox untill sent.

V 2.0536.0.2
12-09-05
RM-84

Dunno if this means anything to anybody!!!:confused:

getti
21st October 2005, 09:36 AM
My N70 just came now. Put it togather and am playing on it now. VERY nice too

Jon3G
21st October 2005, 10:12 AM
Well guys I am a VERY happy person. Managed to find a Nokia N70 in stock for £460 and they only had 1 left...... of which I managed to order.

Had to borrow £150 but i get paid next week so that was not a problem. Just got the email to say it's been dispatched and i will get it before 1.00 tomorrow.

Sim free N70 with my Orange PAYG 3G Sim card and what's best.... NO BLOODY HOMESCREEN!!!.

Plus Pro Evo 5 and Football Manager 06 are out tomorrow, my birthday on Sunday and i got a trip to disneyland paris next week.

Ahhhh what a great day

Happy birthday Getti, I hope you have a good time

Ben
21st October 2005, 10:28 AM
I heard what some of you said about when u press the red button whilst sending a text and it cancells it, well mine dont do that, its just stays in the outbox untill sent.

V 2.0536.0.2
12-09-05
RM-84

Dunno if this means anything to anybody!!!:confused:
That's interesting :\ If you push and hold the menu key, after exiting out of Messaging with the red button, does Messaging still appear as an open task?

whatleydude
21st October 2005, 10:54 AM
My N70 just came now. Put it togather and am playing on it now. VERY nice too

PLAY THE NEW SNAKES!

And oh yeah - going back to that 'red' button thing.

I found all my old messages that didnt send..

IN MY DRAFTS FOLDER!
Grrr...

So for me - pushing 'red' cancels sending and saves the msg to Drafts.

cambridgew10
21st October 2005, 02:26 PM
PLAY THE NEW SNAKES!

And oh yeah - going back to that 'red' button thing.

I found all my old messages that didnt send..

IN MY DRAFTS FOLDER!
Grrr...

So for me - pushing 'red' cancels sending and saves the msg to Drafts.
hi there could you tell me where can i download the new snakes. thanks

whatleydude
21st October 2005, 04:56 PM
Is it not on your phone?
Mine came pre-installed in the 'my own' section.

Jon3G
21st October 2005, 05:21 PM
WOW. this phone is amazing.

Must say the N70 is only really a upgraded 6680 and if you have a 6680 then have a good think if you wana pay the extra cash just to get the N70.

But I love it already and the snakes game is really cool

jayd
24th October 2005, 03:59 PM
Well I just took the plunge after 2 happy years on 3 well not including the first 6 months. But impatience got the better of me and I couldn't get a straight answer when 3 would release it so I've gone with Voda. Got a decent deal after a lot of hagling, hanging up and phoning different sales people :) . 12 month contract, 350 Mins + 500 Texts ( which are also used for data, 20 texts = 1mb ) so seeing as I only use about 100 texts a month thats about 20MB of data a month. £40 a month with 3 months 1/2 price and the phone for only £5. Now I know I have 21 days to decide if i'll keep so unless 3 bring it out within the next 3 weeks I will be a voda customer again permanantly after 2 years absence.

Jon3G
24th October 2005, 04:10 PM
Well I just took the plunge after 2 happy years on 3 well not including the first 6 months. But impatience got the better of me and I couldn't get a straight answer when 3 would release it so I've gone with Voda. Got a decent deal after a lot of hagling, hanging up and phoning different sales people :) . 12 month contract, 350 Mins + 500 Texts ( which are also used for data, 20 texts = 1mb ) so seeing as I only use about 100 texts a month thats about 20MB of data a month. £40 a month with 3 months 1/2 price and the phone for only £5. Now I know I have 21 days to decide if i'll keep so unless 3 bring it out within the next 3 weeks I will be a voda customer again permanantly after 2 years absence.

21 days

I thought the cancel policy was 14 days

jayd
24th October 2005, 04:45 PM
21 days

I thought the cancel policy was 14 days

Your right my mistake.

whatleydude
26th October 2005, 09:23 AM
Anyone got the Visual Radio working yet?

booslums
26th October 2005, 12:56 PM
No, it keeps saying my area is not covered (Wolverhampton)

whatleydude
3rd November 2005, 12:21 PM
There's a few more N70 owners now..

Who else gets told they have a new message twice?
(sometimes three times)

Ginz
3rd November 2005, 05:24 PM
Mine hasn't ported over yet but from Monday I'll let you know :)

getti
3rd November 2005, 05:58 PM
Mine only tells me about the message once. Damn its a shame prices drop so quick.

14 days ago mine cost me £489.95. Now they can be picked up at the same place (Mobile Fun) for £377.95

Ginz
3rd November 2005, 07:35 PM
£100+ down the pisser. Pretty gutting.

GerbilChops
1st December 2005, 06:03 PM
Does anyone get the problem where you take your n70 out after getting a text message to find out you have 6 missed calls because it has not rung in general?
Well it has happened quite a few times to me but i havent taken the memory card out or anything. If i turn the fone off then on again, it rings again.
Took it to vodafone they sent it away :( now i have to use my 7610 till i get it back!!
Bout the messages sending being cancelled while sending and being saved to drafts after pressing the red fone. i dunno if imessaging still appears as a task i will check when i get my phone back

Ben
1st December 2005, 06:41 PM
Sounds like a software fault - not had the issue on mine - hopefully it'll ring out no probs once it's returned to you from Vodafone :) Do you know what the software version was before? That way you can check that it changes.

Yssybyl
2nd December 2005, 11:54 AM
There is a fix available if you suffer from this - should be solved by a quick update at a service centre.

Ginz
2nd December 2005, 04:37 PM
I have been experiencing the same problem. How can I get it updated in Hull?

Ben
2nd December 2005, 05:27 PM
You need to locate your nearest Nokia service centre - mine's a CPW.
http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,77483,00.html

Hands0n
2nd December 2005, 06:50 PM
Go into a Carphone Warehouse - they are the approved Nokia repair centres, generally. You should be able to locate your nearest one on the Nokia web site http://www.nokia.co.uk - on the right hand side is their "Store Finder" where you can "Enter postcode to find your nearest shop or repair centre"

Let us know how you get on with the software update - also please post on here what your current software is by tapping in the code *#0000# That way if anyone else has the same software and problem they can identify it readily.

Edit: Snap @Ben LOL :D

GerbilChops
2nd December 2005, 11:48 PM
Got my fone back at last.:D They have updated the software on it so hopefully i will have no problems now with it not ringing. apparently there was a fault with my software version.

WAS
v 2.0536.0.2
12-09-05
RM-84

NOW
V2.0539.1.2
19-10-05
RM-84

Only annoying this was my antivirus software that came with the fone is not on it anymore and now i am goin to have to pay to get it back!!

OH by the way... about texts not sending when the red fone is pressed, mine does carry on sending but messaging does not appear as a running application when the menu key is held.

Ginz
3rd December 2005, 12:12 PM
Mines V 2.0536.02

12-9-05

RM-84

GerbilChops
3rd December 2005, 07:17 PM
Just take your phone to where you got it and they will send it away!!!

aidey6
15th December 2005, 01:59 PM

according to the review (gsmarena) it is only avail in Finland at present...:(

aidey6
15th December 2005, 03:08 PM

http://www.visualradio.com/index.html This site will tell you when and where it is available...