View Full Version : Mobile Anti Virus Software?

dgilbert2
1st October 2005, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know if I can use my PC (eg with say Norton Anti Virus Software) to check for a mobile phone virus before transferring the file to my Nokia 6680?

My thought process is that it would save hogging the phone memory with Anti Virus software if I always transferred from my PC!

(Tried F-Secure on the 6680 but it just slowed it down and certain programmes like Sky and Orange TV would often not work)

Saint
3rd October 2005, 03:53 PM
Does anyone know if I can use my PC (eg with say Norton Anti Virus Software) to check for a mobile phone virus before transferring the file to my Nokia 6680?

My thought process is that it would save hogging the phone memory with Anti Virus software if I always transferred from my PC!

(Tried F-Secure on the 6680 but it just slowed it down and certain programmes like Sky and Orange TV would often not work)

I just installed Symantec Mobile Security v4.0 for S60 over the weekend on my Nokia 6680. It is a brilliant anti-virus cum firewall. It won't slow down your mobile phone applications. As to your question of using Norton AV for mobile viruses the answer is no because it's engine is built to scan PC based viruses and not mobile viruses as they have different runtime 'requirements'. Also you might want to give TrenMicro Mobile Security for S60 a try as it even block SMS spam that do not originate from mobile numbers.

MORPH
3rd October 2005, 04:49 PM
Also you might want to give TrenMicro Mobile Security for S60 a try as it even block SMS spam that do not originate from mobile numbers.

I downloaded this, but I can't for the life of me find where to purchase the activation code! The links in the notes aren't much use.

dgilbert2
3rd October 2005, 09:44 PM
As to your question of using Norton AV for mobile viruses the answer is no because it's engine is built to scan PC based viruses and not mobile viruses as they have different runtime 'requirements'.

The reason I thought this was that if you search the Symantec Security Response centre http://search.symantec.com/custom/us/query.html for symbian it lists loads of S60 viruses that they now include in their Virus "Live Update" facility, which is behind the PC software. Am I missing something?

Could I get an infected file from somewhere to "test" this?

solo12002
3rd October 2005, 10:39 PM
Could I get an infected file from somewhere to "test" this

Would you want to take the risk, why not E mail them and ask!