View Full Version : help.....

mcstan
2nd October 2005, 07:37 PM
hiya

i got my new nokia n90 on friday, "yay it's great..." part from.. when i'm in a call it keeps going in to loudspeaker mode.. anyone els had this issue??? and i also had the phone just die on me.... it said 3 bars i walked away for a few mins and came back and it was off O-o hopeing it because it was the frist charge i given it..

so any tips??

p/s don't use mobliefun they suck.... they mixed my phone up with someone els to me ages to sort it out...

Ben
2nd October 2005, 08:10 PM
Keeps going into loudspeaker mode while you're in a call? That definitely sounds like a software bug if you're certain you're not pushing any buttons. My best advice has to be send it back and get a new replacement dispatched (as you're within 14 days you're entitled to a brand new replacement).

Welcome to Talk3G!

mcstan
3rd October 2005, 10:08 AM
yup i was thinking it was a software bug my self, but i heard there was software bugs before i got it, well i heard in forms that is... even more crazy last night i was in a call to my gf and my phone was running out of power.. and the phone went in to video mode.. O-o it was going crazy... could not even switch it off video mode lol
i just woundering if people with the n90 had the same thing as me or not?

Yssybyl
3rd October 2005, 01:00 PM
There are known battery problems with the N90. A couple of things to check:
If you are in a very low 3G area then you can save battery life by switching to GSM only. Also, make sure that you haven't got applications running in the background. The backlights can drain the battery fairly quickly too.

As for the loudspeaker issue, there was a rare occurance that in a weak 3G signal, on handover to 2G during a voice call, the loudspeaker activated. If this might be the case then if you can provide as much detail as possible I can try to chase this up. See if you can repeat it when you are in GSM only mode.

Hope this helps

3g-g
3rd October 2005, 04:13 PM
Just out of interest Yssybyl, who do you work for? :)

Yssybyl
3rd October 2005, 04:33 PM
5 letters, ends with an "A" :)

I'm having to reread everything I post to make sure it's all suitable for public knowledge...

But I came across this site by accident and couldn't help but add in my 2p worth :)

3g-g
3rd October 2005, 04:58 PM
Ah, good stuff, COBRA, COmputadores BRAsileiros, "Brazilian Computers", electronics and services company, was the first state-owned designer and producer of computers in the 1970s, later acquired by the Banco do Brasil.

They must be interesting to work for. ;)

Anyways, welcome to Talk3G, we hope you stick around and continue to add to our ever growing community.

Cheers,

G.

Yssybyl
3rd October 2005, 05:11 PM
lol

to my shame I couldn't think of another acronym that fitted and didn't have time to Google with such broad search terms.

I'll be sticking around. It's nice to find a forum that's full of like-minded people exchanging information and tips rather than just flaming each other. [or at least not in the threads I've been viewing ;) ]

Hands0n
3rd October 2005, 06:22 PM
No flames here Yssybyl - we like to keep it nice and professional :) and light and easy also. There's tons of good stuff all over the place and your contributions are always very welcome. Also, check out http://www.todayon3g.co.uk/ run by Getti, one of our forum members.

I'd like to add a "Welcome to Talk3G" also. Spread the word :cool:

Shame about the buggy N90, but then again as the technology gets ever more complex I suppose first gen software will be bound to have the odd flaw or so. The big deal is whether or not, or how even, the mobile manufacturer/operator is going to resolve the issues.

Someone on the forum posted SonyEricssons "self help" for such matters including firmware upgrades downloadable and self-installable. Now that is def the forward. Nokia's own self help is very good, but not quite up that standard yet.

I digress!!

mcstan
3rd October 2005, 11:19 PM
hiya

well i'm on o2 i looked on the site and it says my 3G it patchy where i live

i tryed doing a video call and it says that o2 network does not suport this..
i looked ever where on the phone,to put it in GSM mode but can't find it.. any help possble??

also.... when it does this loudspeaker thing, i'll put it back to handset and 1 sec later it will go back in to loudspeaker mode will do this a few mins fighting with it to back in...

also the sreen has the wall paper side on like you just had it in video cam mode.. which is not the case.. untill it go's back to normal one piont i had a feeling it was me moving the cam so it would switch on.... so i started to move the cam facing down during the call.... which seem to speelyhelp... but yet it still does it...

it ever so buging...

p.s if this does not read okay because i'm really sleepy and i need my bed!! night

Yssybyl
4th October 2005, 09:21 AM
Don't worry about being sleepy I think I understand what you where trying to say :)

You may have to contact O2 and ask them to enable video calling for your SIM - not all tarifs allow it by default.

In tools->Settings->Network there should be an option "Network Mode" that will be set to "Dual mode". Options->Change should give you the GSM option. [Although if you have an operator specific verison they might have removed this option, in which case there's not much you can do...]

Not sure what is happening with the loudspeaker and wallpaper. If you can give me a more coherent version when you're a bit more awake I can have a look into possible causes/solutions. :)

mcstan
4th October 2005, 05:25 PM
ahhhh cheers bud... don't ask me why but forgot i could scoll down that part of the phone lol i'm in gsm mode now!!!

done a few calls seems to be fine.. i let you know more when i get longer calls.. which is does it more on

thanks for the help you given so far!! :D

mcstan
5th October 2005, 11:11 PM
okay.... my phone still broken it seems...

after the phone call being 10 mims it do the werid loudspeaker thing.. still

i want to see if it was me pushing the buttons on the phone or somthing, so i used my handsfree kits which comes with the phone, then i put the phone on my desk and made my call... while in the call my phone will keep switching on the cam on the phone and then close it... it keeps doing this all the time..
this phone is so bugy.....

it's a great cam phone...... but yet i can't do a simple phone call without the phone going all loopy..

@NickyColman
5th October 2005, 11:42 PM
heya, ive got an N90, had it about 2months now and I love it.

Ive had no such problems with my handset, apart from a few glitches, but nothing warranting concern. For example, when playing a video, RealPlayer sometimes stops playing the video. If you reopen it tho it works fine. Also this is hardly a problem, its more of a query, when i go to open a new message i have the following options

Text
Email
Multimedia
Postcard

The last option, Postcard, does nothing when clicked and if i try to create a message from another location in the phone I dont have the Postcard option. Its as though there are a few little problems in the phone that need ironing out.

Ive just remembered when browsing the web how the little globe icon is a blank square on mine.

If your handset is full of problems, your best off finding your nearest Nokia Support Centre and take it there. At least that way you dont have to try and convince the company you bought it from to replace it. I had a problem with my N6680 and they repaired it for me no problems and for free. Your handset will be under the Nokia guarantee so you'll have no hassel.

Keep us updated how it goes tho!

Yssybyl
6th October 2005, 09:52 AM
Does sound like you might have a duff one there :(

What's the SW ID [*#0000#]?

Do as Bleubean said and take it to a Nokia support centre and let us know

mcstan
6th October 2005, 05:43 PM
not sure where that number is mate...

all i know it's a uk phone..

i be senting it back mobliefun said they going to fix it

Ben
6th October 2005, 05:45 PM
If you could get your software version for us, for reference, that'd be helpful. Just type *#0000# into your phone's main screen. If it's already on it's way back to mobilefun then not to worry!

mcstan
6th October 2005, 06:08 PM
ok it's v2.0530.3.5
29-07-05
rm-42

think i should sent it back on friday or do it on monday... can't make up my mind

Hands0n
6th October 2005, 06:47 PM
Whatever you do, sent it Royal Mail Special Delivery, nothing less! you're insured for up to £500 then.

Yssybyl
7th October 2005, 10:40 AM
That's a very old version, and may be the cause of several of the problems. When you get it back, you should have something with a xx-09-05 date on it at least.

Hope you get it back fixed soon!

mcstan
8th October 2005, 12:15 PM
i not sent it off yet keeping it over the week end..

does anyone have the softwear update for it then??

mcstan
7th November 2005, 11:35 AM
gah... still waiting for my phone to come back...

it's now been sent to nokia... because no one can fix it.....

sigh

Ben
7th November 2005, 01:51 PM
Yikes :( Perhaps it's time to have a tantrum down any customer service lines you can find until somebody sends you a replacement :S

whatleydude
7th November 2005, 03:00 PM
Ah yes.
A tantrum always helps!
:)

Hands0n
7th November 2005, 06:03 PM
A month has gone by and you have been reasonable beyond reasonablness in waiting ...... and waiting ..... and waiting.

You should insist that the Seller offer suitable resolution to your problem (it is his responsibility [in UK law] to provide you, not to pass you from pillar to post). I suggest that you point out how reasonable you have been, that you have no intention of putting up with the situation any longer, and that you expect and insist on the Seller supplying you with a replacement product or, alternatively, a full refund of any moneys paid and all and any contracts cancelled immediately.

If they insist on getting all silly about it, politely inform them that you will take the matter up with the local Trading Standards office. Ask the person you are speaking to for their name and position within the company (you might want to start off with that question first).

Its always horrible to get into this space .... but you have to stand up for your consumer rights. Not many firms will do right for you unless you do.

NB: Was it Mobilefun? I've always found them very Customer-friendly, but then I've never had a contract phone from them.

mcstan
9th November 2005, 11:48 AM
hiya

well got a new phone today!! at last... and sim card
my new sid is up to date

v3.0535.4.3
01-09-05
rm-42

phone seems to be okay so far i keep you lot update