View Full Version : 3G - Better or not?

Ben
7th April 2005, 02:51 AM
FAO 3G Mobile Users: Do you find your 3G mobile an improvement over your last GSM mobile?

It's early days I know, but the question is begging to be asked. Has 3G actually enhanced your life? Are there things you do with your 3G handset that, realistically, you can't do with a GSM handset?

Why are you even on 3G? Was it for a cheaper tariff, special features like Video Calling and extra content, or faster mobile data?

Please vote in the poll and post any additional comments below. Thanks!

Ben
7th April 2005, 02:55 AM
Ok, I'll start.

I have voted for "Yes, an improvement." - While I have experienced advantages through having the faster data rates, I have not made much use of video calling. My experience has also had hassles, with various bugs in the first Z1010 incarnations and issues with the Orange 3G service. My initial Three UK experience with the NEC e606 was simply horrible and unusable.

Basically, while I can see the potential, I'm still waiting for that big improvement to come along.

Hands0n
7th April 2005, 08:23 AM
I'd rank 3G alongside the old Analogue 1G service right now. Sure, it does fancy stuff like Multimedia and Videocalling but overall the look and feel is of an infant technology (which, to be fair it pretty much is).

My experience is solely with H3's implementation of 3G - I have absolutely no practical experience of using 3G for Internet access - something that I can [and often] trivially do with my other 2.5G service. Instead, apart from the novelty of the odd (very odd) Videocall, the [often] failed Videomessage the H3 3G phone, a very nice Motorola E1000, is used for less than my SPV-C500 2.5G phone. Hence my vote for "........not been as good"

Will I be wanting to run dual contracts at renewal time? Errrr, that would be a big "No". Unless H3 sort out Internet access I will most likely migrate away to someone who does provide it.

miffed
7th April 2005, 08:53 AM
I must admit my sentiments are pretty identical to Handson's - although I managed a "nothings changed" vote - mainly due to the fact that I always had a 2.5G alternative close enough to hand for data etc

From a data viewpoint, if your only 3G experience is H3G then you feel like you've take a step (or several steps) backwards

My only other experience of 3G was with vodafone -(payg sim into my a1000 ) I had 70p credit on the sim , I opened one web page and ran out of credit ! and that is the extent of my experience with Voda - which has really put me off the idea of 3G data access (at current rates) , as it was reminded me of when I first used HSCSD and ran up a bill of £141 on orange ! also , the fact that GPRS seems "quick enough"(relatively) and is doing a reasonable job at present

Of course I am reviewing the situation all the time (hence my presence !) and I will , eventually start to use 3G data , but I feel the time is not right now

3GScottishUser
7th April 2005, 09:19 AM
The major worry for now has to be the attitude of the staff in the retail outlets. i have 2 friends who work for large retail chains and their opinion is that none of the 3G services are that compelling at the moment. They dismiss 3 as a worthwhile option on every basis apart from price because of the service quality and rate the others as only really worth bothering about if you need the fast internet access whilst on the move.

Its easy to see why. They just pick up a Moto Razr V3 or a Samsung D500 and hold it next to the latest 3G offerings and ask 'What would you want to carry around?' Fair comment I suppose and I imagine until we see the likes of the SonyEricsson k600 not a lot will change. Only price will drive folks to 3 and the rest will rely on tekkies and high end users for now.

I predict Q3 and Q4 of this year will see some furious activity by the networks as all of try and push 3G benefits with handsets that more closely match the style and quality of GSM offerings.

Marcwic
7th April 2005, 08:03 PM
It's too damn expensive for data. Just like the Internet would never have taken off if it was charged per kilobyte.

miffed
7th April 2005, 08:43 PM
It's too damn expensive for data. Just like the Internet would never have taken off if it was charged per kilobyte.

Yeah I agree - And the first network (if it ever happens ) to offer flat rate 3G access will clean up IMO

Ben
7th April 2005, 09:57 PM
They can get all you can eat for about $25 in the States I think. I read an article the other day that was suggesting that if the networks in Europe attempted a similar thing they would simply become flooded. So why can the States do it but not Europe? Makes no sense to me!

Hands0n
7th April 2005, 10:08 PM
Its entirely a cultrual thing. The States have the "stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap" mentality that works so very well. Europe comes from a position of almost total state ownership. Even though we have private enterprise today, the mindset that accompanied state ownership is still prevalent in those that run the organisations in Europe. We pay for what we get and we should be damn well thankful for it too! Gah!!! Don't get me on my soapbox :)

3GScottishUser
9th April 2005, 11:11 PM
Interesting so far that most (I know its a small number) seem to think that GSM was better than 3G. I suspect W-CDMA has to deliver the basics every bit as well as the enhanced sevices for it to be taken seriously.

TheBrit
12th April 2005, 06:04 PM
The biggest difference is the phone itself. I'm not doing much that can only be done in 3G.

3g-g
12th April 2005, 06:44 PM
I've voted, yeah, an improvement, but only on data. I use remote access via 3G everyday, and I can't imagine how I'd go back to HSCSD now. As far as telephony, there's no change, so I suppose if you're only making calls or sending texts then what's the difference?

Now, if all the networks suddenly made voice and texts half the price they are on GSM the numbers taking up the new handsets and contracts would rocket! If that was the case, you'd then have the people on the network it's more likely they'd start using other services as they were there, i.e. videocalling, video downloads and so on.

@NickyColman
12th April 2005, 10:17 PM
If video and data were priced at a reasonable level then i would use videocalling all the time! But as it stands the prices of Video and data are just too high to sustain regular usage! Had text messages been set at say 20p a pop then i dare say that texting wouldnt have been as huge as it is!

I think if the networks get pricing right then it will benefit them in the long run.

Ben
12th April 2005, 10:45 PM
See, that's where I love my contract! I've got that 60 minutes of video calling and 50mb of data a month completely free - it's like a dream tariff. Ok, so I only get 30 voice minutes, but I don't use it for many calls so for me my 3G phone works out incredibly cheap. Still... looks like I'm going to be spending a fortune on these Orange music downloads.

Hands0n
13th April 2005, 12:03 AM
Way back in 1982 SMS text messages were 60p a pop! Understandably, noone used them very much. Brought down to 10p a pop and they are now a mainstay of the mobile networks revenue earnings. I'm a "stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap" man. Watch EasyMobile get a large slice of the cake with their 6p per min (yea, I know its a time-limited offer but ............ they have the option of keeping it going for longer).

Videocall should not be of any more value than Voicecall if it is to even begin to become in everyday use. At 20ppm (today) and 50ppm (when the time limited offer runs out on Three) it will remain a novelty. I'm guessing it will take someone like Stellios to take on the others if and when he launches 3G services. At the moment the cosy 3G cartel have it all their own way (and I include Three in that number).

TheBrit
13th April 2005, 12:23 PM
SMS started as a GSM feature and GSM was not in use back then. We were all using ETACS.

Are you referring to message pagers?

Hands0n
13th April 2005, 01:21 PM
Hmmmmm, these old grey cells must be failing me. Of course, SMS was indeed with the advent of GSM (and it was 60p a pop as I recall). Our plan at that time was to merge message paging into the handset useage but could not because of the much higher cost of SMS over message paging as it was then.

jman
14th April 2005, 09:30 PM
"If video and data were priced at a reasonable level then i would use videocalling all the time! But as it stands the prices of Video and data are just too high to sustain regular usage!"

Even with the increased capacitiy of 3G networks they surly would not be able to handle the sort of data that would be needed if video calling was cheap and cheerful. It might have to stay as a premium service for some time to come.

I voted that 3G hasn't really affected me that much, but im sure in time it will have a significant impact on most mobile phone users.

Ben
14th April 2005, 09:46 PM
...and that's a very good point. I find it consistently frustrating that when we're such a tiny country (in the grand scale of things) we have such bad infrastructure. We should really lead the world in all our infrastructure being the nation that we are, but somehow it just doesn't happen.

I don't think the networks anticipated just how hard they're going to have to work to get a return on their 3G licences. It's certainly going to take more than a few video clips! But can they really upgrade their infrastructure enough to support bandwidth intensive applications? I'm not sure they can...

jman
14th April 2005, 10:11 PM
"can they really upgrade their infrastructure enough to support bandwidth intensive applications?"

In time im sure it will happen, be it 4 or 5G or whatever, I see it as " natural progression". 3G in its current implimentation looked very sweet when it was on the drawing board, and it offers so much more then 2.5G, thats for sure, I think that the networks need to take a reality check, or it might be the next big bubble..... .

Hands0n
14th April 2005, 10:19 PM
4G won't be a transmission technology in its own right - more it will be a general purpose access method with the underlying transports being those that we already know and love (!!) such as 2/2.5G, 3G, WiFi, WiMAX and whatever else comes along.

The notion is that a 4G user will use whatever [or the best] transport is currently available in that location, entirely without the user having to make a choice or selection. As new (and faster) wireless transport methods are developed they can then be easily placed under the 4G "umbrella".

I once posted a link to a really neat and descriptive article on 4G on another "3G Forum" but can't seem to find it, don't think I bookmarked it ..... If I turn it up I'll post it somewhere suitable on here.