View Full Version : Nokia 6680 bluetooth

nathanfox
3rd October 2005, 10:41 PM
Hello,
I hope some1 can advise me on this matter. I have a nokia 6680 that is locked to three network. When I try and ativate the bluetooth it says, "unable to perform bluetooth operation". I have been told by a local shop that they can update the firmware on my phone for £10 and I have revised this and I have V 2.04.15 and I know I can update to v3.04.37. I was wondering whether anyone has had this problem and whether a software update has fixed it. The thing is I don't want to pay out £10 if it won't work because i'll only have to pay again to get it fixed from three. Who knows it may be a hardware problem,
Any help would be great,
Thanks
Nathan

P.S Could the fact that I don't have a memory card in have anything to do with it? Can anyone check this for me please? (There mite not be enough memory with the memory card) and also my Vid. Editor is not working on the phone in the imaging folder. Could this have anything to do with it, if so is there any way I can deletethis application or will a software update fix this? Help is very very greatly appricated. Thanks

3g-g
3rd October 2005, 11:23 PM
Hi Nathan,

Welcome to Talk3G!:)

I have heard of some buggy 6680's, however none with the Bluetooth problem you're experienceing, but that's not to say it isn't SW related.

Where have you been quoted £10 for the new SW? Is that via an official Nokia repair center? If your handset is less than a year old, an official NRC should repair any problems free of charge, my local CPW (also a Nokia R.C.) cleaned the Orange branded SW out of my 6680 free of charge, the just classed it as a SW problem. You can locate them via the Nokia website.

I've removed the memory card from mine and the Bluetooth function still operates fine, I doubt that has anything to do with it. WRT the video editing.. it's not something I use, however if your SW is updated on the handset there's a good chance it'll fix any problems you're experiencing with that.

First steps, find the Nokia repair center that'll update your SW at no charge and let us know how you get on.

G.

Ben
4th October 2005, 03:18 AM
First off, this is certainly a fault. Nokia's now have a two year warranty, so whatever happens you are entitled to a fix free of charge.

If your phone is less than 6 months old you can, apparently, return to where you purchased the handset and request a replacement. You are entitled to this by law, under your statutory rights.

Definitey try an approved Nokia service centre though - find your nearest here: http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,77483,00.html

Welcome to Talk3G!

nathanfox
4th October 2005, 07:52 AM
Well I went into my local nokia centre at the weekend and they told me they couldn't touch it because it was locked to three. He siad if it was on o2, vodaphone it would be fine but because it is on three only they can fix it :S Plus I have lost the proof of purchase so this invlidates my warranty doesn't it? To get the software flashed it was at a local repair shop on my local parade of shops.
Nathan

3g-g
4th October 2005, 08:47 AM
Well I went into my local nokia centre at the weekend and they told me they couldn't touch it because it was locked to three. He siad if it was on o2, vodaphone it would be fine but because it is on three only they can fix it :S Plus I have lost the proof of purchase so this invlidates my warranty doesn't it? To get the software flashed it was at a local repair shop on my local parade of shops.
Nathan

Don't let anyone tell you it's a problem for 3 to fix, explain to them that you're not wanting the handset unlocked (as CPW thought at first with myself), you'd just like the current SW updated to try and resolve the issues you've been having. As far as losing the proof of purchase... as Ben mentioned, the handset has a 2 year warranty, unless you're someone special and have had the handset for years, then there's no way it'll be out of warranty! Three were one of the last to launch the 6680 and a good dealer should know this, at the most you can only have had the phone for a few months.

Just as a personal opionion, I wouldn't take the handset to anyone else other than a official Nokia place, you're up the proverbial creek without a paddle if a local shop for local people knackers your handset, they won't take responsibility for it if it stops working altogether, and if they did, then it's likely you'd of invalidated your warranty there as it's not an official repair place.

Try again with the Nokia route is the best advice I could give really.

Good luck!!

nathanfox
5th October 2005, 06:17 PM
Hello,
Just been into town and they've taken it in under warranty for a free software upgrade. The only reason they had to take it in was because the repair guy wasn't working today. But I can go get it tomorrow at 6 o'clock and i'll give you the results then.
Seems the saturday staff don't have a clue what they are talking about. LOL. I'll keep you updated tomorrow when I get it back

Thanks for all your help

3g-g
5th October 2005, 07:00 PM
Excellent news!:)

Keep us all informed.

G.

Ben
5th October 2005, 07:31 PM
Hey! Really glad they've taken it in. Best of luck with the repair!

nathanfox
6th October 2005, 06:38 PM
Hey not a very good update I'm afriad. Apparently my phone crashed the software when they tried to update it (So i've still got the same software and all my files on there) And apparently this has happened to alot of nokia 6680's (so itz not just me. phew!) and that new improved software will actually be out and ready for them to install on Monday 17th October. Can anyone confirm this? the only other alternitive I had was to send the phone off to nokia and the turn-around for that is normally about 2-3weeks anyway. Anyone had the same problem or can someone confirm that new improved software is coming out?
If this software does not fix the problem, do nokia have to give me a new replacement? Can they do this even if I don't have the proof or purchase?
Regards

bsrjl1
6th October 2005, 08:51 PM
v4.04.07 will be out soon for EURO, it's already available for EMEA & ASIA.

I would hope that Nokia would be sensible - it's obvious that your phone is still in warranty, even without a receipt. Delivery note would probably do. But it doesn't make your warranty invalid, just harder to prove.

Technically your agreement is with 3, who will usually get your phone sorted withing 3 days (seem to have improved recently, although they still have problems). The Nokia support network is in addition, but they don't have to repair your handset. 3 so far haven't allowed service points to update 6680s, not sure why. The 3 variant files aren't available to them.

nathanfox
7th October 2005, 05:05 PM
could this be what they are talking about?

Regards

Nathan