View Full Version : sending texts to foreign phones

trackbikes
7th April 2005, 10:59 AM
I have my A1000 enabled for foreign use but everytime I try to send a text to a foreign phone (even one that is sat next to me in the UK) It just sits in my outbox. I've emailed 3 cust services (now thats a misnomer!) but as usual no reply.

So does anyone know how i can send texts to foreign phones?

3GScottishUser
7th April 2005, 11:09 AM
It should happen without any problems. Have you tried using both the 00XX and +XX (where XX is the country code) when sending SMS?

There have been some comments previously about the 3 SMS service not working to some destinations but I thought they had sorted this issue.

trackbikes
8th April 2005, 08:51 AM
here is the reply from 3..

"Unfortunately the previous information given was not accurate. At present we
have no agreements with Spanish networks for text messaging. We are
currently working to remedy this situation however at present this service
is unavailable. "

The biggest destination for brits abroad and they don't have an agreement bloody typical! And how suprising that they gave me the wrong information to start with

Ben
8th April 2005, 09:07 AM
That's very unfortunate :(

There's absolutely no reason for a network not to be interconnected with other countries unless it simply isn't prepared to pay the demanded interconnection fee. Basically, if Three wanted the ability to terminate messages on Spanish mobiles they could.

Perhaps you could consider online alternatives for sending texts abroad? They're generally cheaper than from a handset would be.

trackbikes
8th April 2005, 09:15 AM
That's very unfortunate :(

There's absolutely no reason for a network not to be interconnected with other countries unless it simply isn't prepared to pay the demanded interconnection fee. Basically, if Three wanted the ability to terminate messages on Spanish mobiles they could.

Perhaps you could consider online alternatives for sending texts abroad? They're generally cheaper than from a handset would be.

But as I only use texts when I am "on the road" online isn't very useful.

Constantine
13th April 2005, 12:10 AM
Three doesn't have roaming agreements with every network abroad. My experience with Greece. Greece has three networks, yet Three has roaming agreement with only two of them. I guess that's the reason that when I texted a friend of mine (he was with the third one, the one without an agreement with Three), the message failed.

Friendly, Kostas.

3g-g
13th April 2005, 12:34 AM
This seems strange, however one of my friends was having a similar problem with text messages not arriving on her Orange phone being sent from an O2 phone. The networks shouldn't need a roaming agreement with another netork to deliver text messages, now that number porting is possible it's impossible to tell what number belongs to what network, to some extent anyway. What I've also found is that the network from which the text message originates is responsible for the delivery of the message, thats why each has its own message centre number. If a message isn't going somewhere it's more likely to be a problem with the network your sending it from.

There's a couple of things you could do to see if they resolve your problem in case it's not an operator issue.

Is the message centre number in your handset correct?

The other one's a bit wierd but worked in my friends case. She went into the network selection part of her handset, did a manual search, picked another network, (not the one she was on, i.e. Orange) the registration failed, it then re-registered on Orange, and suddenly all the text messages from O2 came through! All I can presume was that her handset hadn't fully registered for all the services she was allowed to use when she'd turned on previously.

Try it and let us know if you have any change.