View Full Version : New to 3G, what do you recommend?

Dazzy
8th October 2005, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone, I am looking for a new contract, after ending mine with orange, I have been told by a couple of people that Three are really good. But could anyone please answer these questions for me.

When I check coverage on three's website, is this the coverage for video calls? or for voice calls too?
Does anyone know how much coverage three have compared to Orange or O2? (worldwide aswell) (contract)
And my main dilemma is which phone to get, I quite fancy the Nokia 6680 and the Sony Ericsson K608i, the sony phone looks so nice, but the features of the 6680 are tempting, could anyone please recommend a phone?

Thankyou so much in advance for all your help, and its great to be part of this fantastic forum!!
:)

Ben
8th October 2005, 08:11 PM
Hello Dazzy, welcome to Talk3G :)

The Nokia 6680 is a superb phone, and as an owner of one myself I can strongly recommend it over the Sony Ericsson. However, if you don't want/need Series 60 and would prefer the smaller form factor the K600/K608 offers then perhaps it's the phone for you.

I can't really recommend Three from my own experiences, but my own experiences aren't recent. Three have nationwide voice and picture coverage provided by O2, with their own network covering 85% of the UK population. If you want to access web/wap sites on Three then it'll cost you £2.50 a month for a limited selection of 100/200. Full blown Internet access costs £45 a month on top of your contract rate.

Orange, your current network, currently have the most extensive 2G/3G integrated network. I say integrated because calls and data sessions can move on Orange from their 2G network to their 3G network and back again without being dropped. Orange also have features like Fireplayer, Music Player and Orange TV for the 6680.

Vodafone are the second largest integrated network and have an aggressive range of exclusive handsets like the Sharp 903 along with some attractive deals on their website - especially on 18 month contracts. World wide, Vodafone are your number one choice.

O2 and the newest entrant T-Mobile have relatively small integrated networks.

The choice really is yours. In order to find what's best for you think of how many minutes and texts you really need each month (check past bills) and don't be sold more than that. Three have some very attractively priced deals but, on the flip side, their customer services operation is still the worst of all the networks making things hard if things go wrong. All the networks have their ups and downs... better the devil you know?

Check coverage on all the networks here: https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=142

3GScottishUser
8th October 2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Dazzy, welcome aboard

When I check coverage on three's website, is this the coverage for video calls? or for voice calls too?

They show their own coverage and also their roaming parner's (02) coverage. They have coverage of about 85% of the UK population themselves and rely on 02 for the rest (99%). When switching takes place during a call the call is terminated, this can be a problem in fringe areas. Best to check with friends etc to find out what the coverage is like in your area. 3 deliberately keep their own signal as the priority as it costs them money when you roam on 02.

Does anyone know how much coverage three have compared to Orange or O2? (worldwide aswell) (contract)

They have more 3G coverage than any other network right now in the UK but dont have as many roaming partners abroad as the established networks. Some reports have been made that 3 dont have SMS access to some countries including Spain, wiorth checking.

And my main dilemma is which phone to get, I quite fancy the Nokia 6680 and the Sony Ericsson K608i, the sony phone looks so nice, but the features of the 6680 are tempting, could anyone please recommend a phone?

The SonyEricsson is nice but has no memory expansion. The nokia 6680 is cool but its about to replaced by the N70 which 3 will have soon. It's main improvement is a better 2MP camera.

3's prices are quite tempting (customer service is dreadful) but there are other superb deals around too, Vodafone have some good deals on their website with 1/2 price line rental on most handsets. 02 have some interesting deals (£30 for 500 X/Net mons and 100 texts) and Orange also have some specials available. Oh and T-Mobile are launching their 3G line-up this month with open Internet access included on their price plans. You really could'nt have picked a better time to get a great choice and superb value.

Just remember you get what you pay for!!

Happy hunting.

Dazzy
8th October 2005, 08:53 PM
Thankyou so much for your replies, I have seen the "Online950" tarriff on Three, I am very very tempted and just about to order it, yes, I am going for the Nokia (due to the memory expansion).
This is what I get with the Tariff for £25 a month (which I think is pretty good):

750 UK texts 150 minutes 25 UK Video Minutes 25 UK Photo/Video Minutes £10 of inclusive downloads

The £10 of downloads is for 3 months only and it's only a 12 month contract, so I can always change at the end of it.

What do you guys think to this tariff?
(I do text alot)

Ben
8th October 2005, 09:12 PM
There's no doubting the value of the tariff. The closest you'll get on Orange for £25 a month is 500 texts and 100 minutes, though as an existing customer you *might* be able to get a good deal on retentions (0800 079 2288).

Give it a go! If it doesn't work out you could always return it and cancel.

3GScottishUser
8th October 2005, 09:28 PM
Wait!!!

02 can give you a free 6680 on thier online 100 texter tariff. (750 texts/MMS/Video messages + 150 X/Net minutes) They currently charge videocalls as voice so you can get up to 150 Video minutes within your deal. 02 Active is free and you get open Internet access. Oh and you get seamless switching between 2G and 3G. (02 have quite reasonable coverage now - strongest signal in my home area).

Better still its a 12 month deal.

Dazzy
8th October 2005, 10:38 PM
Just checked the O2 site out, it's the 18month contract which has the 750 texts etc, the 12 month contract only has 500 texts, the seamless switching between 3g and 2g is pretty good though, although I read this late and ordered the phone, but I get 14 days to return it and go on O2, do you think I should?
(I would go for the 12 month contract rather than the 18month one)

http://shop.o2.co.uk/shop/o2uk/jsp/tariffs/selectTariff.do?tariffPageView=PayMonthly&pageTab=12Month

Hands0n
8th October 2005, 11:16 PM
@Dazzy - in any event take advantage of your 14 day return with Three. If you have any hint of trouble get the contract terminated pronto, do not be fobbed off by the Dealership or 3's Customer Services. That really is your only opportunity to get out of the contract, after which 3 will hold you to the full term.

That said - if you get a good 3G signal in your areas of operation (home, work, social etc..) then there should be no real reason to jettison 3. Where it works, their network is very good. In fringe areas, and some other areas the problems reported on this and other forums seem to be quite dire. My area of operation is in Kent (North mainly, but all over generally) - I travel to East and West Sussex also. Generally the 3G signal availability is very high in all but the most difficult terrain where, it must be said, I get no 2G signal from Orange either. So it does appear that 3 in the South East, at least, could be considered an area of high availability.

Footnote:
My constant reservation with 3 (I am on a contract at present) is their utterly atrocious Customer Services, they really do suck. Very badly. Occasionally [on the many forums] you'll see reports of happy CS experiences, but the vast bulk of them support my own experiences (since 3's inception) in that they are quite poor at resolving issues of any but the most trivial nature. I find using the email address [email protected] works much better than trying to talk with the "Mumbai Muppets". It may take a few days to get a response, but generally the resolution is quick and satisfactory. And you have a paper trail should you need to escalate your issue.

Dazzy
9th October 2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks for your info on O2, I have just checked the site out and they don't really have much 3G coverage in my area, so I dunno what to do know lol, I think I will see how I go with 3, after all, I have a couple of weeks to see if I like it or not :-)

Thanks again

Daz :-)