View Full Version : T-Mob confirm HSDPA

3g-g
10th October 2005, 12:35 AM
Could all this dithering of T-Mobile with their 3G launch be a cunning plan? As they've confirmed that they'll be offering HSDPA next year will this place them in a position to pinch a whole load of business corporate customers that want the fastest possible mobile data connection? Could Vodafone and Orange end up chasing T-Mob?!

From zdnet. (http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/3ggprs/0,39020339,39226975,00.htm)

As it launched its new mobile Web service, T-Mobile confirmed that customers should be able to get download speeds of up to 1.8Mbps on the move next year

T-Mobile has launched its own mobile Internet service, dubbed "Web n walk", and has confirmed it will be introducing HSDPA — high speed mobile broadband — to its subscribers from next year.

Despite launching its Internet service within days of O2's i-mode debut, T-Mobile is opting for an open access service, rather than the walled-garden approach favoured by O2 and recently ditched by 3.

Alongside a Google homepage will be the usual suspects of email and IM, with a 'child lock' to stop kids accessing adult content. Anyone over 18 can request the lock be removed.

To accompany Web n walk, T-Mobile will be releasing eight new handsets by Christmas including the Paris Hilton 'hack' phone, the Sidekick, and a 2G, 3G, Wi-Fi combo, the MDA Pro.

The MDA Pro will run on Windows Mobile 5.0 and other handsets will feature a browser from Opera.

According to a T-Mobile spokesman, access speeds will be around 384Kbps.

But customers should get a boost in 2006, when T-Mobile's group chief technology officer Hamid Akhavan says the company will introduce HSDPA, which offers speeds of up to 1.8Mbps.

solo12002
10th October 2005, 10:34 AM
Dam shame you cant get it on pay as you go. But them they do have dear prices of 30ppm on pay as you go, would you want it?

Ben
10th October 2005, 10:38 AM
I think (hope) all the networks will be ready to launch HSDPA next year, and I actually doubt that T-Mobile will be the first to do so.

HSDPA is where 3G really gets exciting. Optimizing the already-improved data capabilities of UMTS could really change the way we consume data - providing the networks and handset/device makers are able to keep up.

I guess one argument is that it doesn't really matter who makes the HSDPA jump first. Just like when 3G launched, the initial selection of devices that are compatible with it will undoubtedly be pretty poor. If Nokia were to announce a HSDPA compatible device this side of Christmas then things could move at a faster pace...

solo12002
10th October 2005, 11:21 AM
" If Nokia were to announce a HSDPA compatible device this side of Christmas then things could move at a faster pace..."

Problem with that Ben is Nokia is good at announcing but getting dam slow to get them out, I mean talk of N90 and 70 a year ago, one still not out in the shops!

rabmc
31st October 2005, 08:28 PM
" If Nokia were to announce a HSDPA compatible device this side of Christmas then things could move at a faster pace..."

Problem with that Ben is Nokia is good at announcing but getting dam slow to get them out, I mean talk of N90 and 70 a year ago, one still not out in the shops!

also nokia are are providing the UMTS hardware at base stations for several of the network operators... so they need to keep on side with them too...

don't want to be launching handsets if the networks aren't buying into the technology first.... :p