View Full Version : Mobile Insurance 'A Waste of Money'

3GScottishUser
11th October 2005, 09:18 AM
From The Register (10/10/05):

Forking out for mobile phone insurance could be a waste of money according to industry group BIBA.

It's warned consumers that the small print on some policies means that insurers won't pay out even if phones are nicked.

It also points out that with premiums of more than £100 a year, punters should consider pocketing the cash instead. Especially since standard handsets can be replaced for around £40.

Of course, should punters have really expensive top-of-the-range gadgets, then insuring them may well be the safe option.

Said Peter Staddon of the British Insurance Brokers' Association (BIBA): "The main reason for insuring a mobile phone is to cover replacement costs if the phone is lost or stolen and the potential cost of calls on the phone when it is lost or stolen.

"However many policies say that if the owner leaves their phone unattended in a public place and it is stolen or damaged then the provider can refuse replacement or payout.

Some 2,000 handsets are stolen each day. But since most handsets are relatively cheap, insuring them for the wrong reason "can be a waste of money", said Staddon

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/10/mobile_insurance/

whatleydude
11th October 2005, 11:13 AM
What do we think about this?
I pay Vodafone £7.50pcm for their insurance..

Am I wasting my cash?

Yssybyl
11th October 2005, 12:05 PM
If you've never lost a phone and the handset you have now is free on contract then yes, you are wasting your cash.

Personally, I don't have insurance on my phone(s) or purchase protection on store cards etc. I chuck 15 quid a month [the equivalent of this protection] into my end of year beer fund... If I need to pay out for something then I have the money to hand, if not, I get a good night out ;)

Hands0n
11th October 2005, 12:10 PM
Probably, yes. You should look at your household policy, and any personal effects cover you may have in there (or elsewhere). A mobile phone is a "personal effect" and as such often qualifies for cover, although you may not be covered for loss of money through any fraudulent calls made before the phone was disconnected/barred.

There are also independent mobile phone insurances available on the Internet, and these can be cheaper and more comprehensive (fewer get-out clauses) than the mobile operator insurances. A few that I've looked into previously are .....

http://www.cusc.co.uk/ £4.99pcm for a 3G phone
http://www.endsleigh.co.uk/web/policies/mobilephone/
http://www.nofuss-insurance.co.uk/mobile-phone-insurance/mobile-phone-insurance.php
Or this Google search will reveal many more possibilities http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=mobile+phone+insurance&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

The old rule of "shop around" applies strongly to any and all insurances.

Footnote:
All owners of mobile phones should plan ahead for their loss or theft. Record in a readily accessible place the following details

IMEI - to have the handset blocked - renders it practucally useless in western Europe
Mobile Phone Numeber - saves forgetting it in the moment of panic
Customer Services PSTN number (not the shortcode) - so you can call from any landline or other mobile to have the handset disabled against fraudulent use.

As soon as the handset is lost/stolen, phone the mobile operator first to get the number/handset barred/blocked. Then, if it is stolen, phone the Police to report it and get a Crime Number which the Insurance company is going to want.

whatleydude
11th October 2005, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the info!

I've got Home Contents insurance. I'll check my policy.
I'll definitely have a look at some of those sites too.

Cheers mate.

Ben
11th October 2005, 03:07 PM
"I pay Vodafone £7.50pcm for their insurance..

Am I wasting my cash?"

YES! It's just so much money to spend on top of your tariff for insurance. If you think how many times you've ever been in the position where you'd need to claim in the past it'd almost certainly work out cheaper to have to replace the phone from your own funds. It does for me at least. However, that does, of course, mean shelling out a lump sum.

Orange Care, however, is only £5 a month... £7.50 seems like extortion.

whatleydude
11th October 2005, 03:27 PM
I think the term used was "High quality handset" ..

Hence the higher price.

I think I'll scrap it when I get my N70 on Monday.
Cheers guys.

3g-g
11th October 2005, 05:18 PM
What do we think about this?
I pay Vodafone £7.50pcm for their insurance..

Am I wasting my cash?

And so does my next door neighbour, the phone rang with vibrate mode on, it fell from her window ledge in her kitchen and landed in the sink, which had water in it. She called Vodafone, told them the story and as soon as she mentioned it had been in water that was her insurance null and void. So that's 13 months and £97.50 she's paid to them for nothing, Vodafone's solution? You can purchse a replacement handset from us, that'll be £300 please! My advice? Cancel the insurance quick smart, and if you do happen to break your phone get yourself a PAYG handset for £50 which will do you 'till your upgrade time comes round again. Hell, a Moto V3 RAZR is £200 on O2 PAYG, a lot less than the SIM free cost more than likely!