View Full Version : Worth Changing From 6680?

getti
12th October 2005, 03:49 PM
I have a 6680 and was looking at the N70 as my next purchase,. It will be Sim Free cause i dont want no pain in the arse homescreen ruining it.

But is the N70 worth the price and how much of a step up is it over the 6680?

whatleydude
12th October 2005, 04:03 PM
Hmm..

I dont think I'd buy an N70 SIM-Free if I already had the 6680.

How long is it until your upgrade on your current Network?
Could you ask for a debranded one?
*shrug*

Yssybyl
12th October 2005, 04:11 PM
I believe it is worth it. However, I don't believe that the upgrades are worth the premium you will pay getting it SIM free atm. IIWY I'd wait until after Christmas when any final upgrades will have been released and the prices for SIM free have dropped. However, that's the sensible option.

If you're the sort of person who wants the latest gadget ASAP [and waiting a few months for the price to drop isn't an option] then I think it's down to whether you want soemthing different or something better.

The N70 isn't really all that much different from the 6680 but it is based on a better version of Symbian, has better/upgraded features/apps and doesn't suffer from a lot of the problems that the 6680 had. Everyone I know who has a 6680 has started telling me "It's great but..." and a lot of these "but"s have disappeared from the N70.

However, I'm biased :). I reckon Whatelydude will give us a less biased opinion as soon as he gets his hands on his...

whatleydude
12th October 2005, 04:18 PM
Lol.. doubtful.

I already know I'm going to love this phone.
Fingers crossed I'll have it tomorrow.

Back to topic - I dont think I'd ever buy a SIM Free phone at all.

Thats why my opinion differs from Yssybyl's.

If you've got the cash to spend on one - then yeah, get one!
But for me £500 is a month's rent y'know?
Its down to personal expenditure I guess...

getti
12th October 2005, 05:42 PM
Im currently on Orange PAYG with the 6680. Money is not much of a problem seing as i was going to spend £670 on a JasJar.

I know someone who will buy my 6680 for about £170 as its in great condition and i can keep the PAYG USIM which is why i was looking at the N70.

At the moment Expansys are wanting £605 which is way off what I would pay. I mean for £5 less I could get a Sharp 903 handset only with it's 3.2 megapixel camera!.

Knowing Expansys though by the time I get paid again it will be about £500 and I will get £25 off that if I order through the Today On 3G shop making it £475.

Take off £170 for my 6680 and the N70 would cost me £305

fat jez
12th October 2005, 07:33 PM
Having used both, there really is not enough difference between them to warrant an upgrade. The N70 is quite a bit more sluggish than the 6680 and I much prefer the 6680's keypad layout. There is more memory available on the N70, but unless you are running an intensive app like Tomtom satnav, you won't make use of it all.

Unless having a slighly higher res camera and a built in radio is that important to you, I'd stick with the 6680. I doubt I'd upgrade.

Cheers,
Jez

Yssybyl
13th October 2005, 11:42 AM
I'm afraid I have to disaggree... I don't find the n70 sluggish compared to the 6680 at all...

Unless fat jez has used an early [pre - release?] version... The symbian upgrades alone make it smoother all round.

Maybe just go into a shop and play with one before you order it online but (as whatelydude discovered in iirc P4U) make sure they don't fob you off with a 6680 ;)

Jon3G
23rd October 2005, 01:26 PM
if you have a 6680 then the upgrade is not worth it. The N70 does look better and feels better. However the features are more or less identical

your choice

fat jez
23rd October 2005, 04:35 PM
Unless fat jez has used an early [pre - release?] version... The symbian upgrades alone make it smoother all round.

The version I used had the Orange homescreen on it, but as far as I am aware, it is the release version. I personally found it sluggish compared to the 6680, although I have no idea why as the specs are almost identical.

Cheers,
Jez

jayd
23rd October 2005, 06:10 PM
The version I used had the Orange homescreen on it, but as far as I am aware, it is the release version. I personally found it sluggish compared to the 6680, although I have no idea why as the specs are almost identical.

Cheers,
Jez

Well seeing as Orange are over a month away from releasing it, it had to be a prototype.

fat jez
23rd October 2005, 06:39 PM
remember that the software goes through testing before release, so this will be the release software that is currently being tested. It takes time to report any bugs to Nokia, they will test the release version long before the handset gets anywhere near a shop.

Cheers,
Jez

jayd
23rd October 2005, 08:24 PM
That's what I meant to say :) i.e it's still in testing and Orange is notorious for messing with the phones software which often leaves them slower and less responsive than other network models, so I conclude that yo used a pre release version which caused it to act sluggish ;)

Ginz
23rd October 2005, 09:28 PM
So Orange are over a month away from release and it's out on the other networks already? It's out on Voda and T-Mobile. 3 at the end of the month.

Jon3G
25th October 2005, 09:26 AM
it may be very close.

on setup.orange.co.uk you can download the setting for both the N70 and the N90

Cant be long now

fat jez
25th October 2005, 11:20 AM
That's what I meant to say :) i.e it's still in testing and Orange is notorious for messing with the phones software which often leaves them slower and less responsive than other network models, so I conclude that yo used a pre release version which caused it to act sluggish ;)

It is only pre-release in the sense that the phone has not yet been released. However, the actual version that is on the phone I used will almost certainly be the same as the one that is released. The lead times would not allow it to be otherwise. Now, I am not saying that the Orange homescreen is not slowing it down (I would love to be able to disable it on my 6680), nor am I saying that further revisions of the software will not take place following the handset's release, but in my experience, the N70 does not offer enough over the 6680 to warrant an upgrade.

Cheers,
Jez

jayd
25th October 2005, 02:07 PM
It is only pre-release in the sense that the phone has not yet been released. However, the actual version that is on the phone I used will almost certainly be the same as the one that is released. The lead times would not allow it to be otherwise. Now, I am not saying that the Orange homescreen is not slowing it down (I would love to be able to disable it on my 6680), nor am I saying that further revisions of the software will not take place following the handset's release, but in my experience, the N70 does not offer enough over the 6680 to warrant an upgrade.

Cheers,
Jez
You actually said it was sluggish compared to a 6680, your the only person I've heard say this, everyone else has mentioned it's more responsive. I'm awaiting delivery on mine today so I will give you my opinion, but it does seem that orange is the cause of your problem.

booslums
25th October 2005, 02:53 PM
I have one on Vodafone, which is much faster than the 6680,
has auto. voice tags, better bluetooth response, especially with
voice dialing via headset in the car, better camera & Symantec
Internet Security installed on the memory card.

3g signal strength & battery life seems much better to.