View Full Version : 3 hikes call charges by 100%

3GScottishUser
15th October 2005, 09:17 AM
With effect from the 17th November 2005, 3 have notified customers that calls outwith bundled minutes will be increased as follows:

3 to 3 and voicemail retreival up from 5p/min to 10p/min (100% more)

International calls also up by 10p/min (Bands 1 -4)

Existing customers are receiving notification by mail regarding the above.

Note: 3's Terms and Conditions (Clause 10d) state that if they change their tariffs to your detriment you can cancel the contract giving 30 days notice. So the above may provide the perfect solution for anyone looking to achieve early release from a 3 contract.

jayd
15th October 2005, 10:51 AM
From the 17th November 3 calls outwith bundled minutes have been increased as follows:

3 to 3 and voicemail retreival up from 5p/min to 10p/min (100% more)

International calls also up by 10p/min (Bands 1 -4)

Existing customers are receiving notification by mail regarding the above.

Note: 3's Terms and Conditions (Clause 10d) state that if they change their tariffs to your detriment you can cancel the contract giving 30 days notice. So the above may provide the perfect solution for anyone looking to achieve early release from a 3 contract.

A slightly misleading title, you had me worried for a minute I thought my monthly bill was going to increase. Also you failed to state the increase in voice mail to a whole 10p/min retrieval is still cheaper than Vodafone which ranges from 12p - 15p/min.

3GScottishUser
15th October 2005, 10:53 AM
One could illustrate the fact that voicemail on other networks is actually free!! Not really relevant in terms of what 3 intend to charge though.

The post title is accurate as specified calls will be 100% more from the date above.

Not good news really but somewhat expected. I am sure this will not be the last notification of this type.

Ben
15th October 2005, 11:12 AM
Is there a change in the 3 to xnet cost?

Three give away so many bundled minutes that hopefully this wont really affect many people. If it helps people terminate their contracts early though then that's great - especially if looking for an early upgrade! :)

jayd
15th October 2005, 11:15 AM
A thread title of "Price of 3 voicemail retrieval to increase by 100%" Would have been more accurate bet hey its only a minor detail. Anyway not knocking just stated you had me worried for a bit I thought my monthly bill was going to increase but it seems it won't.

3GScottishUser
15th October 2005, 11:15 AM
No change to other call charges or inclusive minutes.

Most 3 customers dont use all of their inclusive talktime (according to 3's Mark Jones) so the above should not be an issue for the average customer.

Still worth knowing about though as the above is a heafty increase that will affect some folks, some of the time and it should be noted it covers both calls to 3 mobiles and to the voicemail service.

@NickyColman
15th October 2005, 11:55 AM
The above is hardly a dramatic hike in prices. O2 stil charge 15p on PAYG for voicemail so its hardly going to ramp up bills and have thousands flocking away from Three.

3GScottishUser
15th October 2005, 05:18 PM
I suspect any letter from any network increasing prices, no matter how insignificant, will tempt customers to review their service provider. I generally start to shop around if I read that my electric and gas prices are on the up with the company I deal with, too easy nowadays with www.uswitch.com who work out all the details for you.

One wonders why 3 chose to increase those particular prices as they must know that customers can 'walk' when they change terms like these. Perhaps they are testing the water for something more significant? The new increased 3 to 3 call rate sure aint gonna be a revenue earner for them.

bsrjl1
15th October 2005, 09:34 PM
Neither myself nor wife have had notice of this - unless it turns up on Monday, it will be outside of 30 days notice from 3 of the change. We both use over our 500 minutes, not much, but it would still be an increased cost.

Get people onto the network with cheap calls, then put the prices up. They've got to make their money somehow & must have accounted for people leaving? Might be one of them if I can find another good deal.

Vodafone (Singlepoint) did the same thing about 1999 when I was at Uni, except they seemed to think they could change the tarriff to whatever they liked without telling me, even though I'd asked them about this proposed change. On-net calls went from 5p -> 25p/12p peak/off. Took them until the morning of the small claims court hearing to give up, agree a refund & end the contract.

hecatae
16th October 2005, 12:00 AM
just 3 trying to force people on to the higher tariffs.

3GScottishUser
16th October 2005, 07:22 AM
I dont think they are trying to tempt users onto a higher tariff. I am on Talk and Text 600 and the letter detailing the price increase arrived with a leaflet selling the benefits of Talk, Text and Video 700 which provides 100 fewer inclusive minutes!!

I am not continuing with 3 so it really makes no difference to me but its almost insane to detail a 100% price increase for calls made outwith bundled minutes and in the same mailing offer a tariff that reduces a customer's quota potentailly exposing them to higher bills.

This marketing initiative does not pass the common sense test!! One has to wonder who dreams this stuff up, its beyond belief.

Hands0n
16th October 2005, 07:41 AM
3's normal contract t&cs state [paraphrased] that they do not have to notify you in any other form than a posting on their website. However, I have been scurrying around their 3UK and 3 Corporate website and so far cannot find any announcement of these price increases.

It is not at all obvious, nor is is it plainly and easily found which, in my opinion, is completely disingenious of 3. Something that the regulator OFCOM or a clever lawyer would refer to if someone wanted cancel their contract having found out "too late" and 3 claim their 30-day notification policy.

I'm not entirely bothered by these charge increases as they are levelling off with the competition somewhat. Not an entirely surprising thing to be doing given that the competition between networks is so narrow (nothing exactly Earth shattering between any of the big four). All have their sting-in-the-tail got'chas.

Edit: If 3 are relying on the Royal Mail then they posted the advisory letters too late. However, if that is their sole method of advising the customer then notification has to be considered as being given when received by the Customer. We are not, after all, psychic! Well, most of us aren't.

3GScottishUser
16th October 2005, 11:03 AM
Just noticed that Non-Geographic calls (080, 087, 084 etc) have been increased by 50% when made in 3's own videocalling areas.

These calls used to cost 10p/min within 3's videocalling areas and 15p/min when roaming on 02, now all calls to non-geographic numbers will be charged at 15p/min from 17th November 2005.

a_ukboy
16th October 2005, 11:10 AM
Just noticed that Non-Geographic calls (080, 087, 084 etc) have been increased by 50% when made in 3's own videocalling areas.

These calls used to cost 10p/min within 3's videocalling areas and 15p/min when roaming on 02, now all calls to non-geographic numbers will be charged at 15p/min from 17th November 2005.

Just curious but where are you getting this info from?

3GScottishUser
16th October 2005, 11:16 AM
It arrived in a letter direct from 3... did'nt I say that above?

hecatae
16th October 2005, 04:27 PM
I have no letter yet, did it arrive with your bill?

3GScottishUser
16th October 2005, 05:41 PM
It arrived with a leaflet trying to sell Talk, Text & Video 700. The letter was a sales pitch with the price increase information in a little table at the bottom (an afterthought?).

It was signed by the Customer Relations Director a Mr Eric Disney..... I wont be tempted to say anything about that name other than it seems quite appropriate.

One would prusume all 3 customers will get one in due course.

jayd
17th October 2005, 01:41 PM
Got my letter this morning and it's really nothing to write home about, If and it's a big IF you go out of your inclusive minutes then these are following new prices.

3 to 3 and voicemail is 10p per min.
UK Mobiles 25p per min.
UK landlines 10p per min.
Non-geographic e.g 084, 087 , 080 ( not sure if these are inclusive anyway ) 15p per min.

So there you have it nothing to extravagent and I can't really see it affecting many bills in a huge way. Thing is with 3 you get so many inclusive minutes it's rare to go over and if you constantly do then change you price plan.

3GScottishUser
17th October 2005, 02:01 PM
Good, glad we now have confirmation that what I posted in the first place was 100% acurate.

Whilst most folks (as I have already said above quoting a 3 exec) don't go outwith inclusive talktime, it is bizarre that they (3) have opened the door to terminations as the changes are to the detriment of customers.

I would advise all 3 customers to read carefully any litrature and materials sent to them as these changes whilst clear were not instantly apparent as they were a secondary issue contained in a sales mailshot.

Hands0n
17th October 2005, 02:31 PM
Point of note; all mobile operator contracts give you the "get out of jail" clause where they have altered their tariff to your financial detriment. I believe that this is a statutory requirement (can't see it being from the goodness of any corporate heart). Occasionally, all of them have made such [negative] tariff changes and there will be an inevitable amount of churn resulting.

There are still [very] many positive benefits arising out of a 3 contract - in particular the amount of inclusive voice minutes for a given amount of £'s each month. These still compare most favourably against the original 4.

There are, of course, elements of 3's service offering that will not suit everybody, regardless of how inexpensive their baseline service is, and the old Caveat Emptor, or buyer beware, applies. For these people there are four main mobile ops and a greater number of MVNOs to select from. Each with its own particular positive and negative attributes.

But, given the above postings I do not really see very much churn or marching away resulting from these tariff changes.

Footnote: As a matter of course, where contract T&Cs are concerned it is definitey advisable to read these thoroughly, asking if any uncertainty.

3GScottishUser
17th October 2005, 02:56 PM
Wheather prices go up, down or however tariffs change the information will be posted here as soon as we know about the changes.

The first post in this thread simply restates the facts from the 3 notification sent out recently. How the changes affect each individual only they can determine for themselves. The important point is that changes are reported timely and accurately so that members can review their calling patterns, contract options etc.

We do try and keep everyone informed with the latest information 1st and this topic confirms we at talk3g.co.uk have our finger on the pulse presently.

hecatae
17th October 2005, 07:12 PM
It arrived with a leaflet trying to sell Talk, Text & Video 700. The letter was a sales pitch with the price increase information in a little table at the bottom (an afterthought?).

It was signed by the Customer Relations Director a Mr Eric Disney..... I wont be tempted to say anything about that name other than it seems quite appropriate.

One would prusume all 3 customers will get one in due course.

Mine says "Mr Eric Dinsey"

cyberkid999
18th October 2005, 09:58 PM
Neither myself nor wife have had notice of this - unless it turns up on Monday, it will be outside of 30 days notice from 3 of the change. .

I think you have misunderstood. You have to give 30 days notice from when Three tell you about it. I got my letters today and one if definitly getting cancelled as i only got it to get a cheap phone.

delinquentwoody
27th October 2005, 07:15 PM
so, has anyone on here successfully cancelled their 3 contract as a result of this price hike? what was the experience like? and... is it still too late to do it! Wouldnt mind a new handset that all lol..

3GScottishUser
27th October 2005, 08:26 PM
Should be no problem whatsoever. The clause is absolutely crystal clear. 3 cant predict future usage nor can they base the conditions on previous usage patterns. If they make changes to your 'detriment' you have a right of cancellation within 30 days of the notice given. After that you will be deemed to have accepted the price changes and have no right to cancel.

Best way to check this out would be to call them and intimate your termination request and then follow that up with a letter to the customer service centre in Glasgow citing the T + C's and their recent communication.

I doubt if they will argue and you will be released from your contract.

Jon3G
28th October 2005, 11:04 AM
If the clause is in the contract then 3 would not be able to stop you from leaving as a result of this. I also doublt very much that 3 would try and arue this because many advisors are clued on the contracts and use that to there advantage when needed. I would really like someone to come back and let us know how they got on.

For the record most contracts have thay clause in there and an example of this is credit cards and this appears in the top 5 lists for customers leaving credit card agreements

cyberkid999
30th October 2005, 06:26 PM
If the clause is in the contract then 3 would not be able to stop you from leaving as a result of this. I also doublt very much that 3 would try and arue this because many advisors are clued on the contracts and use that to there advantage when needed. I would really like someone to come back and let us know how they got on.

For the record most contracts have thay clause in there and an example of this is credit cards and this appears in the top 5 lists for customers leaving credit card agreements

I sent my letter recorded to Glasgow last week and still waiting a reply.

3GScottishUser
30th October 2005, 07:25 PM
Expect them to take their time, took them 12 days to read mine and they expected me to accept their cancellation date due to their poor administrative practices. I callled them and made sure they amended the cancellaton date to the one which I originally notified about with plenty of time allowed for postage etc.

Here's a laugh... the Indian CSA who I spoke to tried to suggest that my letter could have taken 12 days to reach them. Once I explained that I live less than 15 miles from their office in Glasgow and sent it with a 1st class stamp they agreed to change the cancellation date!!

Interesting to note that when I called them about this (calls dropped several times) their retentions department not only attempted to call me back but knew I had been disconnected 6 times re this enquiry..... so it's not as if they dont know!!

cyberkid999
30th October 2005, 08:43 PM
Expect them to take their time, took them 12 days to read mine and they expected me to accept their cancellation date due to their poor administrative practices. I callled them and made sure they amended the cancellaton date to the one which I originally notified about with plenty of time allowed for postage etc.

Here's a laugh... the Indian CSA who I spoke to tried to suggest that my letter could have taken 12 days to reach them. Once I explained that I live less than 15 miles from their office in Glasgow and sent it with a 1st class stamp they agreed to change the cancellation date!!

Interesting to note that when I called them about this (calls dropped several times) their retentions department not only attempted to call me back but knew I had been disconnected 6 times re this enquiry..... so it's not as if they dont know!!

Have you suceeded in getting out OK? Have they tried to get your phone back?

3GScottishUser
30th October 2005, 09:25 PM
I was at the end of my contract anyway so nothing to do with the price increase. I notice the stupid thing is still on after my cancellation date but who cares the CSA noted my cancellation date request and I wont be paying 3 UK anything in terms of line rental after that specified point.

What a shower of chancers.

_Dom_
31st October 2005, 11:35 AM
im getting sick of 3... 1 in 3 calls drops and its getting really fustrating...if i cancelled my contract would i have to pay anything?

Alex C.
31st October 2005, 11:56 AM
So I could cancel, would I then need to send the handset back? are there any other charges

Ben
31st October 2005, 12:07 PM
The handset is yours. Potentially you only need to pay for what you use up to the date of cancellation.

Hands0n
31st October 2005, 01:51 PM
_Dom - Just as a matter of interest, what part of the country are you in and receiving such poor quality 3 network service?

You cannot cancel purely on the quality of service as they have a catch-all clause that allows them to provide you with variable service levels. However, in the context of this specific thread, if you have received the letter from 3 that is advising you of tariff changes you have 30 days to write to them cancelling because of it. They have to honour that. Otherwise you're in to the full term of the contract (unless they change tariff upwards again!).

cyberkid999
31st October 2005, 10:17 PM
check this out guys...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=104497

3GScottishUser
31st October 2005, 11:02 PM
Cashback deals are a matter of contract between the customer and the dealer and are in no way connected to 3's T+C's. If a customer terminates a contract as a result of a 3 price varience and then fails to provide the evidence required by a dealer offering cashback - that is two separate issues.

Anyone on a cashback deal will have to examine their options carefully (3 know very well how many folks are tied into such deals).

delinquentwoody
3rd November 2005, 01:32 PM
Well, I've just got off the phone to Three CS and they are refusing to cancel the contract under clause 10.1d! A 20 minute discussion with the lady in India (my 3rd call) went something like this.

Basically she kept saying the price change was not a big enough change to cancel it under this clause ('it is only a 10p rise in international calls, I see you have not made any international calls' - I told her she cannot comment on my future use of the phone).

I pointed out that the clause does not say what size change it has to be, so it can apply to any change to my detriment. She said I could cancel the contract, but would have to pay the early termination fee. I pointed out that the clause states 'a cancellation fee will not apply', but said she could not cancel the contract in this case.

I asked the lady if this letter meant that my contract would be changing to my detriment, and she said 'yes', so I said I would like to cancel it then, under my right in section 10.1d of the agreement. She said she could not do it under this circumstance. I asked what circumstance this was, and the response was 'well it is only a minor change'.

I told her that by refusing to allow me to cancel the contract under this, that would mean 3 are breaking their own terms and conditions. To this she replied 'I cannot comment on that'. I said I will put it in writing, as stated in the clause, to cancel the contract.

It sounds as though 3 are not wanting to accept cancellations through this clause even though it spells it out crystal clear that the contracts can be cancelled in this situation.

Ben
3rd November 2005, 01:36 PM
Yikes! Thanks for sharing that experience. I suppose it's to be expected that their response would be as you say... perhaps calling head office would produce results?

Anyone serious about cancelling via this clause should really consider sending a letter by registered post to head office before it's too late, time's a-ticking!

Hands0n
3rd November 2005, 06:00 PM
Take it from a seasond 3 Mumbai CS hack :( ........ First lesson; in matters such as these do not attempt to deal with 3's CS in Mumbai. These matters are beyond their competence (as you will frustratingly find out). These people are good only for the most basic of requirements and [since the beginning] are not able to provide more comprehensive support such as Contract Ts&Cs negotiation and Billing Administration. For this you need the UK operation to take over and deal with you.

Second lesson; if the call to the CS is taking more than 10 minutes and they are continually reading their script at you then you are on a hiding to nothing. It is pointless proceeding further with them and it is time to get on to the Executive Office in the UK. Again, you've exhausted the Mumbai CS margin of competence and ability.

As Ben says, put it in writing and make sure that the letter goes out by either Royal Mail Recorded or Special Delivery. There is no rush other than to meet the 30-day deadline you have for cancelling your contract.

Once written 3 then have the opportunity to comply with their own Ts&Cs or face the prospect of being sued for "Breach of Contract" if they do not let you cancel within those terms.

It really is a great pity about the Mumbai CS apparent continuing degree of incompetence. It ruins the Customer Experience with 3 that would otherwise be quite high given the current good state of their network and the handset art. The Mumbai CS is to 3 what a rotting corpse at a dinner party table would be. It stinks [still]!

3GScottishUser
3rd November 2005, 06:01 PM
Get the letter to Glasgow right away. They have changed their tariff to your detriment so you CAN cancel and its really a waste of time discussing the matter with the Mumbai Staff.

timothythetim
3rd November 2005, 06:31 PM
Oh, I think I might cancel now.
I got my phone from e2save, there shouldn't be any problems with them, should there? I've not claimed any cashback yet and wouldn't be going to til next month. (I don't really mind missing out on the cashback, I'd rather just get out of the contract)
Do I just have to send three a letter recorded delivery and that should be me?
On that other forum, people seem to have been cancelling by phone and getting a pac code. Will I be able to get the code ok if I send a letter?
Thanks

cyberkid999
3rd November 2005, 09:13 PM
Oh, I think I might cancel now.
I got my phone from e2save, there shouldn't be any problems with them, should there? I've not claimed any cashback yet and wouldn't be going to til next month. (I don't really mind missing out on the cashback, I'd rather just get out of the contract)
Do I just have to send three a letter recorded delivery and that should be me?
On that other forum, people seem to have been cancelling by phone and getting a pac code. Will I be able to get the code ok if I send a letter?
Thanks
I am still waiting a reply from Glasgow but as I have proof I sent my letter well within the 30days I aint too bothered. However you need to be aware that if you use your phone after the change you will be deemed as accepting the changes so watch out - 17 November is the date so if not resolved by then turn your phone off.

fozzie
4th November 2005, 04:08 PM
Stupid question corner - If I terminate my agreement due to this price hike what do I have to pay the network ?

I have a bill due but what else do I need to shell out ?

3GScottishUser
4th November 2005, 04:13 PM
You are only due to pay the cost of the line rental up to your disconnection date plus any other call/content charges incurred prior to then. That is all!

fozzie
4th November 2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks mate .... great to have a decent source of info like this forum unlike the badly moderated idiot nest that exists elsewhere

3GScottishUser
4th November 2005, 04:17 PM
We try our best!!

Just be careful as 3 seem busy in Glasgow with termination requests and you might find that they extend your disconnection date by 12-14 days. If they do this complain and refuse to pay as its their poor admin that is the cause of the delays.

Best to send all termination requests to Glasgow by 'signed for' delivery, that way you will have proof of receipt etc.

Good Luck.

delinquentwoody
4th November 2005, 04:49 PM
Well my letters in the post! It's been sent by signed for delivery so I shall await their response.

3GScottishUser
4th November 2005, 04:55 PM
They seem to be accepting termination requests based on the above. Plenty of confirmation on Usenet and other forums.

I just wonder how long the person who thought up this 'own goal' will last after the true cost of this price increase becomes apparent.

Unvelievable, you just could'nt make up some of the stuff 3 UK impliment.

Hands0n
4th November 2005, 05:37 PM
Outside of Usenet and the forums I wonder how many people have actually twigged that the contract T&C to get out actually exists.

I don't particularly think that 3 are sweating on this though. They, like any, have to make occasional adjustments to their prices. Its just a bit unusual these days to see prices for mobile network stuff going up - they normally now "give" you more for the same price!

Not many people read, let alone understand, their service contracts. Also that particular term exists in pretty much all service contracts - it would be an "Unfair" T&C to expect the Customer to sign up to all and any price increases without a get out clause. It is my experience that such clauses are quite common in both individual and corporate service contracts. Thus, all mobile operators will have that in their contracts in one form or another.

For example, Orange state

4.3 terminating your Contract because Orange has changed its terms
You may also terminate your Contract if we vary its terms, resulting in an excessive increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this Contract to your detriment. In such cases you would need to give us at least 14 days written notice prior to your Billing Date (and within one month of us telling you about the changes). However this option does not apply if:
4.3.1 we have increased the Charges by an amount equal to or less than the percentage increase in the All Items Index of Retail Prices published by the Central Statistical Office in the Monthly Digest of Statistics in any 12 month period; or
4.3.2 the variations we have made have been imposed on us as a direct result of new legislation, statutory instrument, government regulation or licence; or
4.3.3 the variation relates solely to an Orange Additional Service, in which case you may cancel that Orange Additional Service in accordance with Condition 15.1.

The above Ts&Cs from Orange are probably more cleverly constructed [than 3's] as they limit your get out to a situation governed by the "All Items Index of Retail Prices".

The case in point, 3 UK, their contract section 10.1 (d) states the following;

10.1 You may end this agreement in the following ways:
(d) Within one month of a detrimental variation to
your agreement.
You can end the agreement within one month of us
telling you about a variation to your agreement
(which includes your Price Plan) which is likely to be
of detriment to you. You must give written notice to
3 Customer Services within that month and your
agreement will finish at the end of the month,
once we receive your notice.
(A Cancellation Fee will not be charged.)

That is worded quite loosely and reasonably open to interpretation and so I guess 3GSU's prediction of a new job vacancy at 3 may well come to pass). It does, however, leave the gate wide open in the Customer's favour as it is left to you to decide what is likely to constitute a "variation to your agreement (which includes your Price Plan) which is likely to be of detriment to you". It can therefore be reasonably argued that 3 cannot make such a decision of detriment, that is only something that you can - which negates the ridiculous assertion by 3's Mumbai CS operative posted earlier in this thread.

So, if you are still within the Month of receiving your written notification by 3 and you want to get out of your existing contract with them then you have to follow the instruction within the Ts&Cs to the letter.

Just make absolutely sure that you send your written letter via Royal Mail Signed For delivery.

Edit:
For further comparison .... Vodafone's Ts&Cs say the following (relevant bits enboldened by me);

[B]8) Ending of this Agreement
a) You may end this Agreement immediately by writing to us if:-
• we do not do what we have to do under this Agreement and do not put it right within 7 days of being asked in writing to do so;
• all of the Services are permanently no longer available to you;
• we increase the monthly (or other periodic line rental charge under clause 7a) and such increase (calculated as a percentage) is more than the increase in the Retail Prices Index Figure ("RPI", also calculated as a percentage) for the period from the month of the last increase (if any) to the month before we send the notice of the change in tariffs and you write to us before the increase takes effect. If we increase the monthly (or other periodic) line rental charge by more than the increase in the RPI we will tell you; or
• during the Term
i) we increase in the United Kingdom and under clause 7a, call or other usage charges which have the effect of increasing your call or other usage charges by more than 10% or the increase in RPI calculated as in 8a above (which ever is the greater) based upon your previous call or usage pattern;

So, its calculators out for that one then!

cyberkid999
10th November 2005, 07:29 AM
Best check your contract with the shop before jumping in on this as it looks like they can get the phone back or payment.

These are the T&C from CPW....

10.2 If you enter the 3 Contract and subsequently move onto a lower tariff or bundle with few inclusive minutes or fail to fulfil your payment obligations during the Minimum Term or you end the 3 Contract for any reason within 6 months and the relevant tariff includes a subsidised handset, you must in addition to paying any other charges either:

10.2.1 return the Handset to us by sending it special delivery to the address in paragraph 10.1 at the same time as giving us and 3 written notice that you wish to end the 3 Contract; or

10.2.2 keep the Handset, in which case you agree to pay us the handset-only retail price (up to £400) being the purchase price (the "Purchase Price") of the Handset and you hereby authorise us to take the relevant Purchase Price from your nominated credit or debit card or through such other means as we may require in the event that the Handset is not return in accordance with paragraph 10.2.1 above.

these are on the CPW website

also looks like e2save have a similar arrangement....

8. Changing Price Plan
The pricing of a phone (and any associated offers inc. cashback/line rental) is dependent on a specific price plan being selected. If you subsequently change this price plan within the periods defined below then the purchase price variance for the phone, based on the price plan you have actually changed to, will be charged to your credit/debit card.

Periods during which "purchase price variance change of price plan charge" will apply:
T-Mobile 11 Months
Vodafone 6 Months
O2 6 Months
Orange 6 Months
3 6 Months
BT Mobile 6 Months
Virgin Mobile Duration of contract

In addition, any cashback/line rental offers will be reclaimed if these are not applicable to the price plan you have changed to. We therefore strongly advise that you do not change your price plan within the specified periods.

http://www.e2save.com/tandc.php

3GScottishUser
10th November 2005, 08:14 AM
I know they can clawback from dealers if customers cancel within given periods but i suspect its very unlikely that 3 UK would attempt to recover losses from dealers resulting from cancellations that have arisen as a result of their own pricing policy.

For the reason above i suspect it is very unlikely that a dealer will ever contact anyone wheo terminates directly with 3 due to the price increases. One should perhaps hold onto the handset for a few weeks to see if any follow up letter arrives from the retail supplier, but I suspect dealers would be in mirky waters as the terms you signed up to have been varied by the network and that factor will result in a different tariff from the one you signed up for.

Hands0n
10th November 2005, 09:25 AM
It will all rather be depenedent upon which contracts you are signed up to. I dare say with the dealers your contract is with them for the sale and supply of the service being provided by 3. So you will be beholden to both the Dealer and 3 itself.

The above would be true for any network contract bought through a dealer - and the T&Cs would be applicable depending on what kind of deal you have purchased. The cash-back deals do seem to have the most onerous contract T&C, not unexpectedly.

When I signed up for my 3 contract in Jan of this year for an E1000 part of my agreement with the local dealer was that I would refund the discounted part of the handset price if I changed my price plan or terminated my contract with 3 within the initial six months.

These mobile network contracts are a minefield and very heavily biased towards the supplier. Probably just making it through the UK Fair Contract laws and guidances.

3GScottishUser
10th November 2005, 09:34 AM
I cannot imagine 3 will be stupid enough to attempt to clawback commission from a dealer because someone has cancelled a contract that they changed the prices on.

Does anyone honestly think that CPW, e2save, phones4U etc will tolorate this? Very unlikely and I'm sure they have better things to do than to chase previous customers for handsets and/or money because a network varied the terms they had been sold in the first place.

Whilst there may be some dealer T + C's to protect them from early cancellation that are fair, in this particular instance I would predict it is not really feasable for dealers to enforce them. (Keep you handset though if you do cancel - just in case).

cyberkid999
11th November 2005, 06:18 PM
Well, after 3 weeks I have got mine cancelled. I sent in a letter to Glasgow and an email to CS. They said they could not respond to email for data security. Then I started to get phone calls which I ignored as I did not want to get into the alomst certain argument. I kept emailing and then they said I could telephone and cancel and at the same time update my email on file so they could respond directly.......I changed my online email to that I was using and today I got this reply....

Thank you for your email regarding your account and your request to close it and receive your PAC code.

Your request has been received and your account will be closed once you have used the PAC code. Your PAC code is: xxxxxx and this was generated on 09 November 2005. If the Pac code is not used after 30 days from the date of issue, then your account will stay open. If the PAC is used your account will close and you will not be charged any termination fee under clause 10.1d of the terms and conditions.

If you require any further assistance, please contact our Customer Service Team by dialling 333 from a 3 handset (free of charge), or 08707 330 333 from any other phone (calls charged at national rate).

Thank you for contacting 3. Please accept my apologies on behalf of 3 for the frustration and inconvenience you feel this has caused you.

Yours sincerely,

David Paterson
3 Customer Services
www.three.co.uk
Welcome To Our Network

My deal was with CPW on an 18 month TT600 with 6 months half price and a free 6630. I have just done the first 6 months and got a my first cheque cashback for £75 which made the first 6 months free. So no line rental, a free phone and no clawback as CPW dont have any conditions for leaving after 6 months...... so off to port my number to Virgin and then back again to Three on my £2.99 for 12 months e2save deal with another free 6630.

a_ukboy
12th November 2005, 12:49 PM
When is the last day we can cancel with respect to the price rises? the reason i ask is i have a 6680 which has stopped working and Three are saying its got liquid damage, can't see how as its never been near any liquid or moisture!! its not been dropped or even got a scratch on it...
Anyway Three just don't wanna know and i've 7 months of my contract left, so this as i can see is my only option!!!

3GScottishUser
12th November 2005, 01:57 PM
You should be able to use the above up until the 17th November. After that date you will be deemed to have accepted the price increases by default so you have 4 days to make up your mind!

cyberkid999
12th November 2005, 04:18 PM
When is the last day we can cancel with respect to the price rises? the reason i ask is i have a 6680 which has stopped working and Three are saying its got liquid damage, can't see how as its never been near any liquid or moisture!! its not been dropped or even got a scratch on it...
Anyway Three just don't wanna know and i've 7 months of my contract left, so this as i can see is my only option!!!

was it on a cashback deal and if so who with?

oranashicola
15th November 2005, 11:33 AM
As long as your e-mail is correctly configured, you can get free voicemail as email attachments. I have always been able to do this, and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to, either.