View Full Version : Is it me or ......

Hands0n
16th October 2005, 08:31 AM
..... is the current range of Orange 3G handsets utterly dull and boring (save for the Nokia 6680 which I already have on 3 and the Samsung Z500 which I don't)?

My contract runs out at midnight tonight and the on-line Upgrades page offers me some completely dire handsets, none 3G, for £50 upgrade fee. This is hardly the way to retain a Customer (big C) of several years good standing. But, aside from that, even if I wanted to upgrade today/tomorrow there is nothing in their portfolio that I would want to upgrade to! How bad is that?

Even the Orange price plans are nothing to write home about. If this is the influence of France Telecom then I would anticipate Orange not doing too well through the remaininder of 2005. Which would be very sad indeed.

Okay, so Orange have the rest of October then November and December (up to the 24th) to light fires and inspire the Customer. Unless Orange have something tucked up their sleeves I suspect that their Retentions team will be very busy throughout the rest of the year!

Well? Is it just me or ............................. what?

3GScottishUser
16th October 2005, 09:50 AM
I see what you mean but I suspect it's a matter of timing.

The arrival of a cash rich new entrant was something all the major players have had to contend with. For a while all the established players could do was to sit back and watch as they could have exposed themselves to acqusations of misusing their market position had they been too aggressive. Luckily for the 'big 4' the new entrant has been plauged with problems of their own. Problems with the network, switching issues, handset issues and a customer service shambles. Forced to compete almost exclusively on price the big 4 have concentrated on fashion considerations and have been able to not only retain customers (some have actually increased their subscriber bases) but retain margins, although they have had to offer more for the same levels of income.

Just piling on subscribers at any cost does'nt make sense. Vodafone led the way this week by dumping 'Dial-a-Phone' because the deals were not attracting the profile of customers that they could make long term income from.

Orange have been the least 'phased' by all the turmoil over the last year. I suspect they have lost customers but they may be happy to have 'culled' many who were not really profitable for them. Timing is everything and with Vodafone, 02 and T-Mobile currently spending heavily perhaps Orange have decided this is not a good time to pour money into the market. Lately Orange have been building their corporate business and with the Broadband business about to be renamed (Wannado will become Orange) they will gain significant benefit for the mobile communications business when the rebranding takes place. I expect to see some package deals too.

It does look like Orange are 'treading water' letting the others throw lots of money around. Perhaps 'steady as you go' is the right strategy for now and when the market cools (as it will) they can invest in attracting customers again. There is 'school of thought' that suggests some networks are ploughing a lot of money into capturing customers that wont make them any return over the life of a contract and that is confounded as its the same price conscious customers that they appear to be targetting.

Perhaps France Telecom have some bigger plan for the future? One thing is for sure Orange may be taking a nap just now but once fully awake they generally make their presence felt.