View Full Version : Form or Function?

Ben
17th October 2005, 11:12 AM
What is it your brain first wants when you're after a new mobile phone?

Please vote in the poll and leave a reply if you wish.

gorilla
17th October 2005, 12:00 PM
I voted extra features. Although, 'big' phones are ruled out as are phones with small screens.

whatleydude
17th October 2005, 02:27 PM
I too voted 'extra features'.

Ben
17th October 2005, 02:50 PM
I went for Large Screen. I guess the first thing that catches my eye is what the screen is like. I'd like to have said battery life, but luckily for the manufacturers that's not the first thing to pop into my head. It should be though, battery life is rubbish these days!

3GScottishUser
17th October 2005, 03:06 PM
I went for size. After being laughed at carrying about an NEC e606 for a while, being weighed down by a Moto a835 and c975 and feeling pocket stretched by the quirky Nokia 7600, my new Samsung Z500 is a bit of light relief with all the functionality you could ask for.

Screen size is an issue (need to go to specsavers soon) as it's getting harder for me to view the display. I was playing with my old SE T68i the other day and its still a very comfortable handset to use. I like a mobile phone to be discreet, yet functional. If I want to watch video I think I'd get a PSP or the like. Hybrid devices are fine but the more I think about it, (and this wont suit mobile networks), I'm happier with a small device for communication purposes as the first priority.

PS: When I tried the T68i it was with a Virgin SIM that has not seen the light of day since December 2004..... plugged it in and made a call and it told me my balance was £6.38!! So much for them deactivating the account after 6 months inactivity!

Hands0n
17th October 2005, 03:20 PM
Large Screen - these old eyes are not what they were, even with contact lenses the screen size is critical (varifocal contact lenses are prone to shadowing of print making small founts difficult to resolve). With ordinary glasses on I can resolve pretty much any size of mobile screen (i.e. SE-T68i, Samsung T100, Moto E1000,). But the larger screens of the likes of the Nokia 6680, Moto A1000 and so on suit me better.

But then this begs the question - "What do you want to use your mobile for?".

Phone calls & Text - stuff like the Samsung Z500 are ideal
Multimedia - its got to be the likes of the E70, 6680, E1000, A1000 etc.

It is going to be hard for the manufacturers to strike a balance. I can also see why many UK folk are now carrying around two mobile handsets!