View Full Version : 3 6680's getting returned?

3GScottishUser
17th October 2005, 04:58 PM
Both CPW and e2save (same company) are advertising 3 branded 'reconditioned' Nokia 6680's at reduced rental rates on Talk and text 600. £ 4.99/month on the 18 month deal or £ 9.99/month on the 12 month deal (for 12 months - on the 18 month deal the price rises to £30/month for the last 6 months).

Now obviously these dont come from the factory as 'reconditioned' so CPW must have enough stock being returned to them to make it worthwhile to advertise this product.

The description of 'reconditioned' is as follows: "These items are either ex-demonstration, trial or mail order returned. These are not flawed products. In fact, each one has been quality inspected by our engineers, reconditioned if necessary and each one comes with a full years warranty.

Please note that reconditioned are repackaged once tested and do not come in the original box.

These products are only packaged with a manual and charger, other accessories are not guaranteed."

I suspect most must be returns within the 14 day trial period?

Good deal?

Worth getting one just to use for calling other mobiles?

Hands0n
17th October 2005, 05:38 PM
Yes, it is very definitely worth getting one of these for any use at all ........ IF, and this is a big IF, you are of the type who would be able to use a Symbian-based 6680 in the first place. They are not merely a phone! There is a lot more to them. For instance, the slider for the camera I could see becoming a nuisance to someone who would barely-if-ever use such a thing! The Mrs got the hump with mine in moments after using it to make a call the other day. "Po*y slider thing ...." she grumbled "... keeps moving in my hand, nearly dropped the phone". Now I have never had that problem, ever!

These are definitely not for the uninitiated, and I hope that does not sound at all elitist as it is not meant to be!

Almost everyone I have showed my 6680 to has asked pretty much the same question "What do you want one of those for?". It is hard to extoll the virtues of such a device without sounding and appearing like some mad Tefal-head. They, generally, just about get the phone/text/camera thing. But when you get on to all the other stuff it will do their eyes glaze over and you know you've lost them :)

Footnote: In your very specific case (and anyone else in similar circumstances vis a vis 3) my strongest suggestion is "No, stay away from 3 at all costs" as they very obviously do not cut it in your neck of the woods, although equally plainly they do excellent in a lot of other locations. Unless, that is, you are planning on moving lock stock and barrel down to Kent (at least) where we all glow in the dark, there is so much 3G signal about (4th 3G mast going up across the road right at this moment!).

Ben
17th October 2005, 06:19 PM
The reconditioned phones seem like a great way of getting a high-end phone for knocked-down prices. Hopefully offers such as this will introduce people to Series 60 who would never intentionally demand it when purchasing a new phone. Lets face it, once you've got Series 60 you tend not to go back!

I agree with Hands0n though - not a good idea in your case.

3GScottishUser
17th October 2005, 06:20 PM
If I got one it would only be for 'interest value'. I have more than enough inclusive minutes with my main contract and with STC etc they sure do go pretty far.

It's a real bargain though - hard to resist but many must have indeed resisted and returned these to make it worthwhile for CPW to be featuring them on the front page of their website. If it was only e2save that had them then I would have thought all returns were being redistributed via them but when it appears as prominently as it is now there must be significant stocks.

£!20 for a 6680 on 3 with 500 x/net mins & 100 texts on a 12 month deal - it is tempting!!

jayd
17th October 2005, 06:20 PM
Please no ;). You must stay away from 3 at all costs. Nah serious until they sort out the problems in your neck of the woods there is no point putting yourself through another 12/18 months of three.

Ben
17th October 2005, 06:24 PM
I agree. You're not getting a decent indication of what the network is like nationwide, so there's no point.

Hands0n
17th October 2005, 06:32 PM
Seriously 3GSU, you're just sticking rusty needles in your eyes if you do go and get one. They are a beaut handset, to be sure, but that would not be your prob. You've got a very pooey network in your area, it needs fixing first.

Do one of two things; (a) get on to 3's Customer Services by email (pointless any other way) and report the atrocious 3G in your area - find the mast and give them the street name and postcode if you know it, or (b) go blow your local 3 mast up with some of those very nice display fireworks that all the 13-year-olds are walking the streets with these days! One or two of the 50-shot mortars should do nicely!!

3GScottishUser
17th October 2005, 06:39 PM
I just got a very timely PM.... suggesting that ' a bargain is not a bargain if you dont need it' and that I suppose is 100% correct. I suspect I might buy it and play with it for a while then after some problems toss it aside and I'll have had a very poor impression of a decent product due to the limitations of the 3 network in my home area. Perhaps allowing it to find a home where it can be properly serviced with a decent reliable signal would be best.

Now if those could be unlocked for £20 down the market that would be another story!!!

Ben
17th October 2005, 06:50 PM
Now if those could be unlocked for £20 down the market that would be another story!!!
Tell me about it! Damn, when the unlockers finally suss out the DCT5(?) lock then it's going to be fab-dibbly-abulous!

I think it's a good idea to have a break from 3. You should defo consider writing to them about the naff network though, then check it out in ~12 months time maybe.

3GScottishUser
17th October 2005, 06:54 PM
"I think it's a good idea to have a break from 3. You should defo consider writing to them about the naff network though, then check it out in ~12 months time maybe."

I will take that advice on-board, perhaps write to them re my disconnection, tell them why.

I don't want to provoke argument but I get the feeling it won't be 3 UK in it's current form if I go back in 12 months. I still suspect there will be 4 networks by the end of 2006.

Ben
17th October 2005, 07:00 PM
Yup, either 4 networks or 3 should at least be under different ownership following the spin-off. Having 5 networks here at the moment certainly makes it interesting! Still, that's a debate for another thread, another time ;)

Good idea about writing to them with the disconnection - it'll carry more weight then.

Still, good observation re: the reconditioned phones. Hopefully it'll be a chance for a lot of users to get their hands on a truly powerful handset for next-to-nothing.

Hands0n
17th October 2005, 07:31 PM
My experience of reporting 3's naff transmitter mast in my local area is documented elsewhere on here. Suffice it to say that their network control took positive action and the problem was solved within days. Something that, had you placed a bet with me, I'd have lost!

BB5 unlocking is turning into the fabled Unicorn. We all know about it but noone has seen one! But one thing for absolutely sure, there is so much eager anticipation for BB5 unlocking that when it comes out there will be no shortage of unlockers in the biz all anxious to mop up the early rush.

solo12002
17th October 2005, 08:41 PM
For some who would top up their pay as you go mobile by £10 per month, this is going to be a great deal for them, a first class mobile at a low monthly cost,and if they have 3 coveage they do well out of it, as long as they dont go over 500 mins.

Hands0n
17th October 2005, 09:01 PM
Cashflow alert! :)

The sting is that it is not really a low monthly cost as CPW would want you to believe. Looking into it a bit deeper it is all done by a series of cashbacks. The first two are automatic, CPW send you a lump sum, 3 discount your rental for 6 months (on the 18 month contract). After that you pay the full whack £30 a month to 3. CPW give you a further two cashbacks in later months (before 12 months) and the whole total averaged out over the 18 month period works out to the £4.99pcm they suggest.

The only problem I see with this is that the punter has to lay out the full £30 a month for months 7 to 18 with the cashbacks to ease the pain. But in the final six months you are paying out the full £30.

For sure, the averaged out saving truly amounts to a monthly rental of £4.99 - and this is great providing that the £30pcm outlay between and after cashbacks is affordable to you.

Apart from that, it really is an excellent offer.

cyberkid999
18th October 2005, 09:48 PM
Cashflow alert! :)

The sting is that it is not really a low monthly cost as CPW would want you to believe. Looking into it a bit deeper it is all done by a series of cashbacks. The first two are automatic, CPW send you a lump sum, 3 discount your rental for 6 months (on the 18 month contract). After that you pay the full whack £30 a month to 3. CPW give you a further two cashbacks in later months (before 12 months) and the whole total averaged out over the 18 month period works out to the £4.99pcm they suggest.

The only problem I see with this is that the punter has to lay out the full £30 a month for months 7 to 18 with the cashbacks to ease the pain. But in the final six months you are paying out the full £30.

For sure, the averaged out saving truly amounts to a monthly rental of £4.99 - and this is great providing that the £30pcm outlay between and after cashbacks is affordable to you.

Apart from that, it really is an excellent offer.

If you can afford to pay out the full line rental anyway then its no problem and I am already on my Third cashback deal with CPW/E2save

cyberkid999
18th October 2005, 09:53 PM
Both CPW and e2save (same company) are advertising 3 branded 'reconditioned' Nokia 6680's at reduced rental rates on Talk and text 600. £ 4.99/month on the 18 month deal or £ 9.99/month on the 12 month deal (for 12 months - on the 18 month deal the price rises to £30/month for the last 6 months).

Now obviously these dont come from the factory as 'reconditioned' so CPW must have enough stock being returned to them to make it worthwhile to advertise this product.

The description of 'reconditioned' is as follows: "These items are either ex-demonstration, trial or mail order returned. These are not flawed products. In fact, each one has been quality inspected by our engineers, reconditioned if necessary and each one comes with a full years warranty.

Please note that reconditioned are repackaged once tested and do not come in the original box.

These products are only packaged with a manual and charger, other accessories are not guaranteed."

I suspect most must be returns within the 14 day trial period?

Good deal?

Worth getting one just to use for calling other mobiles?

A few points worth noting... I do not know anybody that has got one of these that did not come with all the standard kit and 9/10 times they do come with original packing. Mine was band new with no useage whatsoever and a user another another forum got a black 6680 only the other day. You will see these deals are very limited and can be there one day and gone the next so they dont wait until they have enough stock before updating their site. e2save is the best and although they may not be on the main page if you go in the back way and look under phones - Nokia you will see them. currently got 6680 at £4.99 for 5 months and 6630s at £1.99 for 12 months...