View Full Version : A835 Unlocked

fozzie
7th April 2005, 02:15 PM
I have an A835 that I bought from 3 a while back ..... then it stopped picking up 3's signal (IS THAT A BAD THING)

Anyway I had it unlocked and tried a 2G sim in it from Orange & O2 .... both sims pick up coverage but after a couple of minutes the handset loses signal on them too.

They are both old PAYT sims so as far as I am aware not 3G enabled

Is there anyway that this handset can be made to lock onto 2G only without laying out lots of money ???

Or should I just fling it in the bin ???

Ben
7th April 2005, 02:17 PM
I take it the phone is picking up 3G signal for Orange and O2 but then being kicked off due to not having a USIM inserted? Vodafone offer 3G PAYG... an easy way to use the phone might be by trying one of those if that's the case...

fozzie
7th April 2005, 02:27 PM
Sat with a voda PAYt sim in at the moment .... in 2G mode .... I know that voda has 3g coverage in my area so I thought it wouldve kicked me off by now ....

Yep its just booted me off now .... really wanted to use O2 PAYT cheap with loads of texts you all know the score ....

Have also tried 3 different USIMs in the bloody thing - No reception

Ben
7th April 2005, 03:58 PM
Hmm, do you know anywhere/one who could flash the firmware for you? It's not looking hopeful!

fozzie
10th April 2005, 07:45 PM
Nope dont know anywhere it can be flashed

I have also noticed on other forums that people are experiencing the same kind of problems

3g-g
13th April 2005, 12:59 AM
fozzie,

Have a try here. (http://www.phonehospital.com/)

The shop is in Glasgow, I'll put the address below. I went and they unlocked my C975 when I had it, I imagine, if you ask, they'll be able to do whatever you require to the handset.

738-740, Pollokshaws Rd, Glasgow, Lanarkshire G41 2AE

It's not a personal recommendation, just somewhere I found myself when I was looking, so if you think they'll muck up your phone even more (you can make the decision yourself) then look elsewhere.

If you put "mobile phone repair" into Yell (http://www.yell.co.uk) it should help you out.

fozzie
13th April 2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks I have asked a shop in Paisley to take a look at for me....will see what they come up with

3GScottishUser
13th April 2005, 10:22 AM
I got mine unlocked via a code supplied by a net dealer for about £20 (paid by pay-pal).

The wee accessory shop behind Gilmour Street station might be able to help - try them.

fozzie
13th April 2005, 11:38 AM
Thats exactly where I have taken it .....

Mine was unlocked by an online company too but a few weeks before it stopped picking up 3's signal.

After unlocking it would lock onto O2's signal or whichever sim I put in the handset then after a few minutes it would revert to emergency calls only.

3g-g
13th April 2005, 08:34 PM
That's exactly the same as my C975 did with an Orange USIM in it.. that's why it was swiftly sold on eBay...

fozzie
13th April 2005, 10:13 PM
Wonder if the monkeys at 3 have done something to their handsets to prevent unlockers plying their trade

fozzie
15th April 2005, 04:10 PM
Its dead ..... the shop I took it to in Paisley cant do anything with it so I am now most definitely without 3G in my life ..... On the bright side I have a few bits and pieces for sale from a Motorola A835 - Battery,mains charger,data cable & software

Ben
15th April 2005, 04:11 PM
Nooo! Come back to the light! ;)

Surely we can fix you up with something or other... e606 maybe? :D

It's a shame about the A835 :( How completely irritating. Oh well, I hope you can sell the spares and put the money towards something else.

3g-g
15th April 2005, 05:24 PM
I was amazed at how branded the SW was on the C975 I had. The guy in the shop, when I had it unlocked, thought the same also. And I though Orange went to town on putting Orange World access keys on their handsets!? I wonder how much extra it costs HWL to ruin, i mean, have all the extra features put into the SW...