View Full Version : N70 and Symantec

Jon3G
23rd October 2005, 01:28 PM
just wondering if the symantec firewall and antivirus software comes with both sim free and branded handsets

The firewall is a cool feature not sure what its going to block but the virus protection is a must have for todays smartphones

booslums
23rd October 2005, 10:51 PM
Hi there,

I have just received a Vodafone N70, which includes the symantec package.

However Ihave not been able to get a live update yet.

Ben
24th October 2005, 12:16 AM
Hi booslums, welcome to Talk3G!

I'd very much like to have a look at this Symantec package... what are your views on it? Does it seem easy enough to use? Is there a notable performance hit when it's running?

booslums
24th October 2005, 04:59 PM
Hi Ben,

The software does not impair or sloww down the phone, however
each time I have tried to Live Update virus definitions a message unable to connect to server appears.

Hopefully this will rectify itself.

whatleydude
24th October 2005, 06:33 PM
Hmm..

I dont think I got this with my N70...

Jon3G
24th October 2005, 08:13 PM
Hmm..

I dont think I got this with my N70...

its in the office section of the menus.

If you didnt get it, were did you get your phone from

Hi Ben,

The software does not impair or sloww down the phone, however
each time I have tried to Live Update virus definitions a message unable to connect to server appears.

Hopefully this will rectify itself.

When the live update connects and it asks you what connection to use, you need t select the internet GPRS connection and not the WAP GPRS connection

Let me know if that fixes the problem

Welcome to Talk 3G BTW

whatleydude
25th October 2005, 08:53 AM
its in the office section of the menus.
If you didnt get it, were did you get your phone from

Nope - Cant find it.

:(

I got my phone from Vodafone!

Jon3G
25th October 2005, 09:24 AM
Nope - Cant find it.

:(

I got my phone from Vodafone!

Mine was from Vodafone too.

Have you changed the memory card? if you have the application is on there

booslums
25th October 2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks Jon,

I used Contract Internet & Virus Definitions were upgraded in about 30 seconds.

No other upgrades are available at present.

whatleydude
25th October 2005, 12:43 PM
Mine was from Vodafone too.
Have you changed the memory card? if you have the application is on there

"By jove Holmes!
I think you've done it!"

Yeperoo mate. Didn't even put the one that came with it in it.
Whacked my 512mb straight in.
Right then - I'll have to dig that out when I get in.
I assume the application can be moved from the Mem Card to the Phone Memory?

Cheers dude - I didnt even think about the MC.

Ben
25th October 2005, 03:43 PM
LoL!

If you have a card reader I'd advise copying the contents of the smaller card onto your 512mb one - that's what I did with my 6680.

Yssybyl
25th October 2005, 04:06 PM
There are quite a few apps on the "provided" MMC that may be of use (vary depending on region/operator so don't complain if you don't have them all):

Antivirus, Wireless Keyboard App, Push to Talk, PDF reader, Powerpoint/Word/Excel Readers, Settings wizard [very useful if you've been mucking about with your settings and want to restore them to your operator standards...], Opera, Yahoo communicator, Infoprint, Lifeblog, Kodak Mobile, Catalogue and a 3d Snowboard game [very reminiscent of the early Tony Hawks skateboarding games, but on snow ;)]

Shame on any of you who never tried the provided MMC ;)

whatleydude
25th October 2005, 04:42 PM
Buggrit.

I don't have a card reader..
Is there another way?

( and the card comes WITH Opera?! DUDE! Why doesn't anybody tell me this kind of stuff! )

EDIT:

Grr - Just remembered that the card is in the drawer with all my other memory cards.
I reckon I could be looking for it for a while..
Damn Damn Damn.

Yssybyl
25th October 2005, 04:57 PM
*grins*

I bet you didn't read any of the bits of paper that came with your phone did you? I'm sure it mentions all the third party applications that come on the MMC in one of the little booklets ;)

Unfortunately it doesn't say it's the N70 on the MMC so you'll just have to extract all the 64MB ones and try them one at a time...

whatleydude
25th October 2005, 05:00 PM
What if i...

Put the 64mb card in my N70. Copy the contents..
Then put the 512mb card in my N70 and then Past the contents?
Would that work?

Dammit..

Grr..

booslums
25th October 2005, 05:02 PM
The N70 card has more metal contacts than the previous MMC cards.

My model is a Vodafone N70, but I cannot find Opera, Yahoo,
Kodak or Catalogue on the card.

Yssybyl
25th October 2005, 05:08 PM
As I said, the contents vary with operators. If you have the "unbranded" version then you should have all in the list [with the possible exception of push to talk].

Opera should be in "My Own" [when the MMC card is inserted] and is a red O with the name "www". If it isn't there then Vodafone have decided you don't need it ;)

whatleydude
25th October 2005, 05:14 PM
Thing is -
I downloaded:
PTT, PDF/Powerpoint/Word/Excel Reader, Settings Wizard, Agile Messenger, Opera V8, Info Print, Lifeblog, Kodak Mobile, Catalogue and the snowboard game..

The only thing I dont have is the Anti-Virus and the Yahoo Communicator (never heard of the latter) - but I'll have a look when I get home tonight just in case.

I'd like an N70 compatible version of Opera too..

Yssybyl
25th October 2005, 05:27 PM
In which case, don't worry about copying the contents of the card, just find it and install the antivirus and then throw it back in your drawer and forget about it :) [but next time you get a new phone check what's on the memory card first ;P]

At the risk of veering off topic...is the opera version 8 you downloaded not compatible?

if you type in "about: opera" instead of a URL you get the info, I have: (without the space between the : and o but if I type this then it turns into a smiley ;) )
Version: 8.00
Build: 6339
Platform: Symbian/S60

Any build number higher than this should definately be compatible.

cambridgew10
25th October 2005, 09:47 PM
Thing is -
I downloaded:
PTT, PDF/Powerpoint/Word/Excel Reader, Settings Wizard, Agile Messenger, Opera V8, Info Print, Lifeblog, Kodak Mobile, Catalogue and the snowboard game..

The only thing I dont have is the Anti-Virus and the Yahoo Communicator (never heard of the latter) - but I'll have a look when I get home tonight just in case.

I'd like an N70 compatible version of Opera too..
uaohh how did u download all these stuff?? my n70 too doesn't come with opera, yahoo, kodak,catalogue... how do you get to the settings wizard? sorry guys im a bit new to this, but im also having problems sending mms size above 90KB. they are not sent. the first one i tried to send was a video message. it is still in the outbox even tough i delete it!! i doesn't go away and its a bit annoying coz the little icon for the outbox appears on the first-main page(top right side), and i cannot delete it. my phone its a vodafone and i think it came with all the settings preinstalled.

also does anyone know how to check which is the symbian software version?? please help

Ben
25th October 2005, 10:04 PM
Hello :)

Get your firmware version by dialling *#0000#

All the extra applications are on the memory card that came with the phone. If you can't find the applications then my best advice would be to go into a Vodafone store and see if they can help - ask them to try inserting a different memory card maybe.

There's a limit of 100kb on the Vodafone network for MMS messages - nothing bigger will be permitted. However, you should be able to delete the unsent message - sounds like the phone software could be having problems. If the shop can't sort it out there-and-then, get a replacement straight off the bat.

(By the way... what the hell is "uaohh" ;) )

cambridgew10
25th October 2005, 11:35 PM
thanks dude, i'll take it to a voda shop 2mrw to check it out. i knew the limit was 100KB but that doesn't explain why i cannot sent mms of 90KB..
aouhhh its Italian for aohhhh or ohhhh
ps: very surprised!!!

whatleydude
26th October 2005, 09:13 AM
At the risk of veering off topic...is the opera version 8 you downloaded not compatible?
if you type in "about: opera" instead of a URL you get the info, I have: (without the space between the : and o but if I type this then it turns into a smiley ;) )
Version: 8.00
Build: 6339
Platform: Symbian/S60
Any build number higher than this should definately be compatible.

My opera works to an extent but I only get images.
The words and letters just appears as teeny tiny squares.
Very odd.

I've spoken to Opera and they reckon they'll have an N70 specific version availbe by the end of the month - so... *shrug*

( still havent had a chance to check that memory card yet! - will do it tonight - thanks for all your help by the way folks )

whatleydude
26th October 2005, 09:19 AM
uaohh how did u download all these stuff?? my n70 too doesn't come with opera, yahoo, kodak,catalogue... how do you get to the settings wizard?

Right - just quickly:

You can download and install the following bits of software for your phone from the following websites:

Opera: http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products
Kodak: http://www.kodakmobile.co.uk/PSClientDownload.jsp
Nokia Settings Wizard: http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,77767,00.html

The others I don't know..

Also - Does anyone know if the 100k limit on MMS will be upped anytime soon? It seems odd now that we're moving forward into 100+kb cameras that this limit still exists..

Yssybyl
26th October 2005, 09:57 AM
My opera works to an extent but I only get images.
The words and letters just appears as teeny tiny squares.
Very odd.

I've spoken to Opera and they reckon they'll have an N70 specific version availbe by the end of the month - so... *shrug*

With the version I have [8.00, build 6339] that came on the MMC I can see pictures and text fine. Opera are still updating it but afaik this is only for compatibility for the n70 in languages other than English. Sounds like the version you have is quite old and not recognising the fonts on the phone

You really need to find that MMC of yours ;)

whatleydude
26th October 2005, 10:01 AM
You really need to find that MMC of yours ;)

lol - tell me about it!

I've even put a reminder in my phone so I dont forget when I get home after work!
:D

Jon3G
26th October 2005, 11:00 AM
uaohh how did u download all these stuff?? my n70 too doesn't come with opera, yahoo, kodak,catalogue... how do you get to the settings wizard? sorry guys im a bit new to this, but im also having problems sending mms size above 90KB. they are not sent. the first one i tried to send was a video message. it is still in the outbox even tough i delete it!! i doesn't go away and its a bit annoying coz the little icon for the outbox appears on the first-main page(top right side), and i cannot delete it. my phone its a vodafone and i think it came with all the settings preinstalled.

also does anyone know how to check which is the symbian software version?? please help

With regards the MMS issue, - if you are with Vodafonethen I understand MMS cant be sent above a certain size

Can anyone else help

cambridgew10
26th October 2005, 12:07 PM
thanks guys im off to a voda shop 2day to check if they can help. i'll let u know

cambridgew10
26th October 2005, 06:54 PM
just spoke to voda cs. they sent me new settings for mms via text msg on my phone, but i still had the same problem. so they now recon its a faulty phone and they are sending one new out 2mrw. very pleased for that but a bit puzzled coz they told me to keep the sim card:confused: now i dont get it, if is a softw issue how come they don't replace the sim too:confused: oh well i guess they know better. i just hope i'll be fine now:) :)

Ben
26th October 2005, 07:53 PM
The phone software is stored on the phone itself, your SIM should be fine - but if the same problem happens in the new handset then it'll be easy enough for them to issue a new SIM card just to be sure.

I'm glad they're sending a replacement out :)

cambridgew10
26th October 2005, 09:20 PM
good to know dude thanks:) :)

whatleydude
27th October 2005, 09:19 AM
In other news:

I'VE GOT ANTI-VIRUS!

*Hazzah!*

Ben
27th October 2005, 10:14 AM
Congratulations ;) All work ok for you? Updates itself correctly etc?

booslums
27th October 2005, 12:03 PM
I have had a new N70 delivered today & when I installed the Security program, said it was corrupted, re-install.

I removed it from the phone but on trying to re-install it has disappeared from the Office section, but it still shows it in the application manager
as installed on the memory card.

As I now have 2 memory cards with Symantec security on, I tried
swapping cards, but it still does not appear in office.

Has anyone any suggestions.

whatleydude
27th October 2005, 01:29 PM
Congratulations ;) All work ok for you? Updates itself correctly etc?

WELL......

The LiveUpdate updated ok, as did the Symantec Security but the Virus Definitions don't seem to be working..

When I update the other two (after the first time) say 'No Updates Available' but VD says 'Cleanup after update failed'.

I don't know what it meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeans!

Help meeeeeeeeeee...

;)

Thanks.

EDIT - just tried again and now it says: 'Apply update failed'

Darn thing.

EDIT 2 -

Its goes like this:

'Preparing to update'
'Searching for update'
'Getting update'
'Get update succeeded'
'Apply update'

Then it stops and i get 'apply update failed'.

Boo.

Yssybyl
27th October 2005, 02:06 PM
Just tried mine to see if there was a problem...

Symantec version 4.0.3.54
Liveupdate version 4.0.1.48
Vodafone SIM connected via Vodafone Internet (rather than vodafone live)
Tried to update - >
Liveupdate - > no update available
Symantec Security _>
'Preparing to update'
'Searching for update'
'Getting update'
'Get update succeeded'
'Apply update'
'Apply update suceeded'
'You must exit LiveUpdate and restart your phone for the settings to take effect'

This I did and all seems to work fine

I'm currently using SW
V 2.0539.1.1
29-09-05
RM-84

I don't know what to suggest to booslums about his Symantec problems... If I come accross any similar problems/solutions I'll let you know

whatleydude
27th October 2005, 03:15 PM
My LiveUpdate & Symantec Security are fine.

Its the Virus Definitions that are the problem..

cambridgew10
28th October 2005, 01:04 AM
WELL......

The LiveUpdate updated ok, as did the Symantec Security but the Virus Definitions don't seem to be working..

When I update the other two (after the first time) say 'No Updates Available' but VD says 'Cleanup after update failed'.

I don't know what it meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeans!

Help meeeeeeeeeee...

;)

Thanks.

EDIT - just tried again and now it says: 'Apply update failed'

Darn thing.

EDIT 2 -

Its goes like this:

'Preparing to update'
'Searching for update'
'Getting update'
'Get update succeeded'
'Apply update'

Then it stops and i get 'apply update failed'.

Boo.
i had exactly the same problem with my new handset delivered to me today. i actually could not open the symantec app after i tried to run live up. so i took off the sim and reinstall it. after i got to open the symantec app and the virus definit is up to 3/10/05. so the update must have worked coz at the beginning it was smting like 2/04/05 or so.

Ben
28th October 2005, 09:50 AM
I hate to say this but I didn't have a lot of confidence in Symantec offering a mobile solution in the first place - just like I don't have any confidence in their desktop offerings.

I use FSecure on my 6680 and it has never caused me a problem :\ I think Nokia picked the wrong partner here.

whatleydude
28th October 2005, 10:43 AM
FSecure?
Are they any good?
Where could I get it from?

Jon3G
28th October 2005, 10:55 AM
I do rate this product, However I dont see the need for the firewall function. It does not stop bluetooth attacks and does not protect you when running sensor. The threat of hacking attack while browsing on the handset is so small that the firewall may be using memory resource that could be used for something else

Ben
28th October 2005, 12:41 PM
I agree WRT firewall... there must be a better way to ensure Series 60 is secure than a third party application.

FSecure: http://www.f-secure.com/wireless/

Jon3G
28th October 2005, 02:56 PM
I agree WRT firewall... there must be a better way to ensure Series 60 is secure than a third party application.

FSecure: http://www.f-secure.com/wireless/

You really are plugging this product, are you on a paid to do this? :)

Seriously I will check it out and have a look

Ben
28th October 2005, 03:24 PM
lol! No, I'm not :p

I'd heard people hark on about it for ages. It was only after a friend of mine kept getting bombarded with Cabir that I decided to take the plunge - better safe than sorry!