View Full Version : Fuller's 3G vision challenged

3GScottishUser
23rd October 2005, 02:15 PM
Interesting article in the Sunday Times today about 3 UK and Bob Fuller's assertion that it is a new type of media company. The article explores TV via 3G and the prospects for targetted advertising etc.

A worthwhile read.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1838359,00.html

Hands0n
23rd October 2005, 03:52 PM
The danger, I percieve, in presenting ones self as a "media company" [new or otherwse] is that the individual who wants to buy a mobile phone may well not even consider using you in deference to a mobop who plays the "phone" card which is understood by all of us.

An interesting read, nevertheless. I only question the wiseness of disassociating 3 from being a mobile phone network/supplier. Will the buying public understand, or will they imagine that 3 are getting out of the [mobile phone] business or, at the very least, watering down their commitment to it.

I predict that The City will love them for this though.

3GScottishUser
24th October 2005, 07:10 PM
Very interesting, perhaps the penny has dropped that if any future value is based on 3's attempt at becoming a mobile phone network they could have major credibility problems.

Trying to pass themselves off as something else could be a interesting diversionary tactic but sadly they are just one of 5 3G operators and the rest could equally be described as 'new media' companies with similar products on offer.

The only notes that count are the ones that come in wads and customers have yet to prove they have faith in 3 and want to buy their video etc in significant numbers. There appears to be a desparate amount of promotion and price cutting on those very services that all 3G networks thought would be big moneyspinners. Question is if you have to virtually give the product away to encourage take-up then have to cut prices of video etc to the bone when is payback time? Its not looking great and I think one is now watching a frantic attempt to produce some good news re the prospect for multimedia revenues on mobiles. Sadly for 3 I suspect the Sunday Times has good reason to doubt the whole current strategy and time is now running out as the rest are on the march.