View Full Version : Bluetooth IBM laptop

timothythetim
23rd October 2005, 10:26 PM
This is problem is probabyl not specific to the 6680 but that's the phone I'm using.
I got this absolute peach of a laptop from IBM, Thinkpad T43. Does absolutely everything brilliantly and quickly (its got a fingerprint scanner :D).
Anyway, I'm having trouble bluetoothing with my 6680. I can send files from windows explorer to the phone but I cant send them the other way, it just says "sending failed". I checked all the laptop settings and its set to receive anything from anyone.
Also, PC suite isnt working either. When I set up a bluetooth connection through the PC suite wizard, it briefly says phone connected but then drops the connection.
I have a feeling it is probably to do with the bluetooth drivers because there are windows and WIDCOMM ones installed. I have looked on the net but haven't been able to fix it.
Anyone got any ideas?
Ta

bsrjl1
24th October 2005, 01:35 PM
I have the same laptop, same phone & had the same problems! However I've just turned the Bluetooth on using the IBM prog & it seems to work fine now using the WIDCOMM drivers. Not sure how to remove the MS ones, although they don't seem to be causing any problems for me.

PS: did you scan another finger "just in case"? ;-)

Hands0n
24th October 2005, 02:15 PM
There has been an ongoing problem with Bluetooth drivers from [certainly earlier] WIDCOMM (and others) in conflict with M$'s built-in BT support that was introduced in Service Pack 2. M$'s BT drivers are limited in what they can do in comparison to the third party support drivers.

There are solutions posted on the web, mostly the plan seems to be to replace the M$ drivers with WIDCOMM ones, but the sequencing of enabling and installing is critical.

One that worked for me is this;

In the window described above, go to the drivers-Tab, select Update Driver. Then follow these steps:

Install from a list or specific location
Don't search.
Have Disk
Enter c:\Program Files\\bin
OK
Ignore the warning about drivers not being signed
Complete the installation.
Sometimes you must reboot, sometimes not. But now the Widcomm software will recognize the drvice and you will have access to the full functionality

Full article here --> http://www.gnegg.ch/archives/bluetooth_driver_nightmare.html

Or for more comprehensive info you could have a look here --> http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/manual.html

Cheers M$ ........... Not!

Ben
24th October 2005, 03:42 PM
Wow, this must be one of the few problems I haven't had! ;)

Luckily bluetooth from my Sony Vaio T2XP works seamlessly with both my 6680 and Vertu, using, as far as I can tell, the standard Windows software.

Compared to the problems I had setting up two phones as modems (I don't like to be without net, me!) with a Belkin adapter on my old laptop the MS setup was a breeze.

timothythetim
24th October 2005, 06:20 PM
Cheers, folks. I will give it a shot.

timothythetim
24th October 2005, 09:50 PM
Hmm,
I still can't get it to work. The MS drivers dont appear to installed anymore. The widcomm ones are the only ones that are showing. PC suite still wont work and I can't send files from the fone to the comp.
Anyone got any ideas?
Are there any new widcomm drivers available?

Hands0n
25th October 2005, 12:48 AM
Is yours an old Bluetooth dongle for the PC - by that I mean pre XPSP2?

Getting upgrades for the WIDCOMM drivers is nigh on impossible. The dongle manufacturer will have to supply these. If not you may have to re-invest in a more recent dongle and get the latest drivers that way.

bsrjl1
25th October 2005, 08:29 AM
No the T43 has BT built in. Have you looked on IBM's site for any drivers, or even re-downloaded the one you've got to install again?

Hands0n
25th October 2005, 10:46 AM
Aha, that makes it even better then - try writing to the Support email addy for the laptop and see if they've got any XP-SP2 compliant BT drivers for the beastie. They should be able to let you have the latest WIDCOMM drivers.

bsrjl1
25th October 2005, 11:04 AM
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-58609