View Full Version : Pc Suite Not Recognising N70

booslums
25th October 2005, 10:38 PM
I previously used Pc Suite version 6.6, with a 6680.

My N70 has synced & telephone numbers transfered from the pc to the phone correctly, but each time I try to install new programs, an error message comes up saying the operation could not be completed.

The same thing happens when I try to open the Nokia Phone Browser.

I removed Pc Suite 6.6 from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP s.p. 2)
& re-installed/paired the phone, but still have the same problem.

Anybody any ideas.

Many Thanks.

whatleydude
26th October 2005, 09:20 AM
Does the message appear on the PC or on the Phone?

..and I take it when you say 'new programs' you mean sis files for the N70 right?

Yssybyl
26th October 2005, 09:47 AM
When you reinstalled did you use the version that came on the CD with your n70 or did you put back the old version?

You should have version 6.6.16 or later. If you have and it's still a problem then I'll make sure the guys here know about it.

whatleydude
26th October 2005, 11:39 AM
For the record my N70 works fine with PC Suite.

It took a while to get it going - installing new drivers for the cable etc but yeah - its ok.

Also - word of advice - always get PC Suite from the Nokia website.
The CD version will obviously not have any recent updates on it..

:)

booslums
26th October 2005, 12:45 PM
After speaking to Nokia technical department & undergoing several checks,
it appears the phone is faulty.

I have contacted Vodafone, who are sending a replacement tommorrow.

The Pc Suite software I use was the latest downloaded from the Nokia site.

I would be interested to know if anyone else who has a Vodafone model has had any similar problems.

Another factor is I have had 3 crashes when accessing programs & connecting via Bluetooth in the past 3 days.

I have only had the phone for 6 days.

Yssybyl
26th October 2005, 01:01 PM
Definately sounds like you have something wrong there as it shouldn't crash at all. Glad to hear Vodaphone are doing their best to sort it for you though.

jayd
26th October 2005, 08:26 PM
Exactly the same problem here. I can sync with outlook but thats it, I also have a vodafone model.The phone is recognised and it tells me a N70 is connected but then I always get the same error telling me the operation couldn't be completed.

jayd
27th October 2005, 09:18 AM
Just an update to say I don't think the N70 is the problem my 6630 is doing the exact same thing, not sure whats going on here yet, could be that I have recently installed Mcafee security suite? Noy sure how this could effect it but its the only real change I've made since previously being able to use PC Suite.

booslums
29th October 2005, 10:46 PM
I received my third N70 since 21/10/2205 & I still cannot install new programs from my pc to the phone.

Error messages come up, however I can send telephone numbers & synchronise with Outlook 2003.

I use Bluetooth for connection.

Help!!!!

Ben
29th October 2005, 11:03 PM
Have you enabled the ability to install custom applications? I believe there is a security feature, disabled by default on the Vodafone model, that prevents the installation of third party applications. Lucky the setting can be changed!

Go to the application manager and Settings, ensure Software Installation is On.

booslums
3rd November 2005, 03:49 PM
A week on, I have had 3 handsets, changed my bluetooth dongle & still cannot use File Manager or Install Applications in PC Suite 6.6.18.

I have carried out everything this forum & Nokia have suggested with
no luck.

I have connected successfully to my office pc & wonder if Mcafee Internet
Security could be the culprit at home.

Has anyone any suggestions.

jayd
3rd November 2005, 05:02 PM
A week on, I have had 3 handsets, changed my bluetooth dongle & still cannot use File Manager or Install Applications in PC Suite 6.6.18.

I have carried out everything this forum & Nokia have suggested with
no luck.

I have connected successfully to my office pc & wonder if Mcafee Internet
Security could be the culprit at home.

Has anyone any suggestions.

Ha BINGO, you have Mcafee as well? So do I. And its the only major change i've made to my PC since the last time PC suite worked. Could well have found the culprit then, now only to find a work around.

Ben
3rd November 2005, 05:13 PM
Ha BINGO, you have Mcafee as well? So do I. And its the only major change i've made to my PC since the last time PC suite worked. Could well have found the culprit then, now only to find a work around.
Oo... another reason not to use McAFee! I'll add it to my list! ;)

Some alternatives:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1
http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/
http://www.f-secure.com/

and my personal choice...
http://www.sophos.co.uk/ (A UK company)

Fingers crossed that it is McAFee that's the problem... at least if the cause is found then this rather benign symptom can be overcome. Good detective work :p

booslums
8th November 2005, 03:26 PM
Has anyone any further ideas when using Pc Suite 6.6.18, how to open File Transfer & Install applications, with Bluetooth & Mcafee Internet Security 2006 Version 8.0 installed.

Operating system : Windows XP Home c/w Service Pack 2.

I am at a wits end.

Hands0n
8th November 2005, 05:44 PM
@booslums - have you tried uninstalling Mcafee IS 2006 V8? Because if that is the root cause then you'll have to find another way of protecting your system.

I use a suite of [free] progs to do that with my kit which typically outstrips the commercial products;
1. AVG Anti Virus (finds virii that Mcafee does not!)
2. Kerio Personal Firewall (very strong protection even in Free mode)
3. Ad-Aware SE Personal (finds a ton of adware and malware)
4. Spywareblaster (hardens up IE and Firefox/Mozilla)
5. Spybot Search & Destroy (finds anything that Ad-Aware doesn't)

Nothing gets through that little lot and everything else works, including Nokia PC Suite.

booslums
9th November 2005, 10:41 AM
I contacted Mcafee last night, went througn diagnostic checks &
uninstalled program by program.

Conclussion was Mcafee was not the problem.

So I can only assume Windows security or Bluetooth settings are preventing File Browser or Install Applications from opening.

Only being a computer novice, could somebody offer their assistance.

booslums
4th December 2005, 09:28 PM
I have a solution!

Go to Start/Run & type the following then reboot :

Regsvr32.exe %Windr%\System32\Ole32.dll

You must ensure you put in a space after .exe for it to work.

I can now access all of Pc Suite.

Ben
4th December 2005, 10:02 PM
I think that should actually be:
Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll - ie Windir instead of Windr. Alternatively I daresay you can just use the path to your System32 folder, ie C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

According to the Microsoft site, doing the above correctly registers Ole32.dll in the Windows registry.

I'd be interested to hear if this works for everyone. As always, exercise caution before altering your registry as it may prevent your computer from loading.

Ty for the info Booslums!

cambridgew10
8th December 2005, 10:42 PM
so what exactly is ole32..dll?? im having te same problem now. i cannot access the phone via pc swite. sinc ok but all the rest comes up as error. i have just installed a new firewall (sygate) and thats when all started to go wrong for pc swite. im a bit concerned about altering the registry. what do u guys think?? thanks

Ben
8th December 2005, 11:01 PM
AFAIK it's safe, but you need to decide for yourself really. You can see what kind of uses the command has by googling it:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22Regsvr32.exe+%25Windir%25%5CSystem32%5COle32. dll%22&btnG=Search&meta=

Hands0n
9th December 2005, 12:09 AM
Ole32.dll is to do with "Object Linking and Embedding" in M$ parlance. Ole32.dll is a Core library component which can get its registry entry corrupted by various installs. Re-registering it with Regsvr32.exe is quite safe providing it is the original M$ component.

The library file ole2.dll, is required by windows and is used when performing OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) operations . OLE allows objects created in one application to be embedded in documents/objects created by a different applications e.g. embedding an Excel spreadsheet inside a Word document. OLE is used fairly extensively in windows applications, so if possible you should not remove this file.

ole32.dll is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing Microsoft OLE Library may adversly impact your system.

Original Article here --> http://www.auditmypc.com/process/ole32.asp

If you are not sure that you have the pukka M$ version of Ole32.dll pop your XP install disk into the CD drive, do a "Start|Run" and enter the command "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes). This will scan your protected Windows files and replace the CD-based originals. Then you can re-register Ole32.dll safely. Note that using "sfc /scannow" may undo some of the service packs and upgrades, at least until you next run Windows Update.

HTH :)

cambridgew10
9th December 2005, 03:42 PM
I have a solution!

Go to Start/Run & type the following then reboot :

Regsvr32.exe %Windr%\System32\Ole32.dll

You must ensure you put in a space after .exe for it to work.

I can now access all of Pc Suite.
oh yes i tried that and pc swite now works. thanks dude