View Full Version : Ordered N70. Good deal?

Ginz
29th October 2005, 04:11 PM
I just cracked and went for the following.

Nokia N70 on Voda
Anytime 175
50 Vid Call minutes
250 Free texts
Unlimited Sports Highlights
6 months Half Price Line Rental (nice coup at no extra cost)
3 months Free insurance
Passport for home call rates abroad

Got the phone for £30.

I've got 21 days to change my mind if there is a better deal on other networks or if you've seen something. Was waiting for it on Orange but I can't be doing with all the confusion. 7 days to port my number over and 14 days to return.

If there's any better offers within the next 2 weeks or so let me know.

Ben
29th October 2005, 05:38 PM
What's the monthly rental on that?

I'm sure it'll be a reasonable deal - a lot of Vodafone's seem to be quite competitive at the mo.

Ginz
29th October 2005, 07:13 PM
The monthly rental on that is £25 and Insurance is £6.95 = £32 a month.

Didn't really want to spend any more than £25 p/m but I would hazard a guess that replacing an N70 would be £200+ so the insurance would be worth it?

Ben
29th October 2005, 07:38 PM
I've never actually lost or damaged a phone and needed an insurance-replacement - the only replacements I've ever needed have been due to technical faults that have been covered by warranty anyway. The necessity of insurance can only be based on your own past experience with phones really. It's a safety net, but it comes at a price.

£25 a month for the tariff sounds good - especially if you can use some of those inclusive video minutes.

Keep us posted on how you get on!

Ginz
29th October 2005, 10:17 PM
Found out just now that it's coming out on the 8th on 3 and there's a better tariff on 3 so it sounds like my Voda experience might well be short lived.

On 3 they offer Online 950 which is 150 minutes, 700 texts, £25 p/m and phone at £100 with a 12 month contract unlike Vodas 18. The thing that appeals to me most is 700 texts for the same price as Vodas 250 and 12 months instead of 18.

Ben help me out here what dyu think? It's being delivered on Tues so I've got a few weeks to decide.

Ben
29th October 2005, 10:45 PM
I think once you've used Vodafone for a little while then you'll have a better idea about which network to choose. Tariff is very important - getting the best possible fit can save you a small fortune - but so is technical quality, and I'm confident that Vodafone has the edge there.

Making these decisions is never easy, so take your time and go with whichever best meets your needs. Consider Customer Services, data/internet access, technical network quality, international coverage/roaming (if applicable) and of course which tariff best meets your needs.

How many minutes and texts do you actually need each month, do you know? Also remember that those inclusive video minutes are valuable - IF you plan to use them!

I'm posting from my Vodafone 3G Mobile Connect at the moment, and I've not been contracted to 3 for a good long time now, but I can tell you that I'm liking my experiences with Vodafone, a lot!

Ginz
30th October 2005, 01:25 AM
Yeah the unlimited access to premiership footy etc was a big selling point for me. I'm on the Hero tariff with sports bundle. It's unlimited access but does that mean unlimited downloads? It's ok being able to access them but another thing watching stuff.

3G was a selling point for me too. I think only now is it evolving and working with video footage, news etc on it. Previously it hasn't bothered me.

I'm using a 6600 at the moment so the N70 feels like an evolution and a gradual progression from it to which I'm looking forward to.

I hope I'll be able to mess around with the Vodafone software so it isn't too in your face and intrusive.

I use about 100 minutes and 250 texts a month so that's what I was looking for. Sometimes I go over on both. I think last month I was over my minutes and used 284 texts. Interesting though how Voda give you a data bundle so you can use data, text messaging, MMS all in one which is good.

Also was quite pleased to get 6 months half price instead of the 3 I was initially offered.