View Full Version : Orange take the bull by the horns...

fozzie
30th October 2005, 07:13 PM
Orange have gone on the 3G PAYT offensive

3 handsets on Orange have appeared on the pre £50 mark

Motorola c975 - £29.99

LG 8150 - £49.99

Samsung z107 - £49.99

As well as the Samsung S750 & S750i at £49.99 & £59.99 respectively.

Also there is FREE delivery on there handsets ..... I don't see Vodafone doing anything remotely similar

Just for info the cheapest 3G voda unit is £89.99(v980) , 3uk's handsets are from £59.99(c975) including a £30 top-up.

The prices I have quoted are for new handsets although 3 are doing some refurbished handsets at a slightly cheaper price.

My point is that it makes a pleasant change to see one of the big 4 taking 3 on at the loony price game.

Now who was it that said the prepay market won't go as mad this year ?

3GScottishUser
30th October 2005, 07:37 PM
£29.99 for the Moto c975 sounds about right - what a dog of a thing!

Sanyo models seem good buys as does the LG and the Samsung and none of those are refurbished (3's are).

Good to see some attractive deals on clearance handsets.

Ben
30th October 2005, 07:47 PM
Can't really sniff at video calling from £30. It's nice to see 3G has filtered down to the very bottom of the market now, and I daresay some of these cheap handsets will be eagerly snapped up for Christmas.

Boxing day will be busy for unlockers :)

3GScottishUser
30th October 2005, 08:24 PM
The Sanyo S750i looks a tremendous bargain for £59.99. Very tempting.

Orange have gazzumped 3 UK with these. Who wants a dodgy refurbished phone when you can have a brand new one for even less!!!

fozzie
30th October 2005, 09:02 PM
I was going to buy a Sanyo BUT does it support OBEX push profile for BT file transfer ..... Yes its for bluejacking the IT department in the office ?

Ben
30th October 2005, 10:44 PM
The place to go would have been S750.co.uk, but I'm saddened to see it appears to no longer exist :(

3GSU - Have you tried Orange 3G? I wonder what it's like up there :S Your masts are by a different manufacturer up there so it'd be an interesting exploration, and not too pricey at these rates!

3GScottishUser
30th October 2005, 11:46 PM
I'm tempted!!!

I have good Orange 3G coverage where I live and I think I'm right in saying the top-up's dont expire (make or receive a call within 6 months?).

Ben
31st October 2005, 10:18 AM
Sounds about right, I've certainly never had credit expire on me and I only use my old O PAYG once in a blue moon.

davecres
16th November 2005, 09:23 PM
Ive been using the Sanyo phone since it became available as a payg phone and apart from the fact that you have to have the mp3 tunes in the main memory to use as ringtones I find the phone great.

its rebooted a few times without asking for the sim pin which seems to happen on many an o2 phone but nothing drastic.

Battery reasonable and sounds like the alarm clock would wake even the deepest sleeper.

Good crisp bright display, the 3g works smoothly and have suffered no call or gprs losses when moving between 2.5 and 3g and vice versa. It seems to handle this much better than the Motorola V980 on Vodafone.

Im stuck between two transmitters one with dual 2.5/3g transmission and one 2.5g only so it hunts sometimes but probably par for the course.

Am so glad I ditched Three now and the tarrif on payg is quite reasonable.

Even when i had some minor problems with the extras part on 453 I foudn orange most helpful even refunding me the 25p they charge.

So much different to my early days with orange. Hope they keep the improved customer service up