View Full Version : Orange customer fights £800 roaming bill

Ben
2nd November 2005, 10:14 AM
Full article: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/3ggprs/0,39020339,39234731,00.htm

A British businessman who connected to the Internet with a 3G card while abroad was shocked by the massive bill he received after returning to the UK.

Using a 3G/GPRS card had cost him £769 for downloading data, at £8 a megabyte. The same amount of data would have cost him less than £10 to download in the UK.

"I was looking forward to using my Orange card while I was in France on holiday and Germany on business," the businessman, Roger Steare, told ZDNet UK. "I was prepared to pay a premium and thought it might be four or five times what I pay in the UK — that's a reasonable premium — I didn't expect it to be 100 times the rate."

Responding to Steare's letter of complaint, an executive assistant for Orange's executive vice-president, Bernard Gillebaert, wrote: "While I acknowledged your feelings regarding the charges for using GPRS whilst roaming... I believe that we are being open, honest and true with regard to this". Orange has offered to allow Steare to pay off the bill over 10 months at no interest but insists that the bill must be paid or "the standard collection activities will commence".

Steare says he has no intention of paying the bill and that it is now "a matter of principle" for him.

I'm going to feel awful for saying this, but the customer is being a little bit dense IMHO. He presumed that roaming abroad would cost "four or five times" UK rates but failed to actually find out what it'd cost. Orange have offered him the chance of a 10-month interest free period to repay the amount, very generous IMHO, but he thinks it's a 'matter of principle'?

Yes, roaming rates are too expensive for everything, not just data, and I'm glad the issue has been brought up yet again. However, there's a difference between being innocently stung and being plain ignorant.

bsrjl1
2nd November 2005, 11:02 AM
Where can I download about 100Mb for £10 on Orange? Orange World Access 80 is £41.13 with 80MB then £0.65 per MB.

Data is overpriced, roaming data is ridiculously overpriced. Can't be much of a businessman if he just assumes things!

Ben
2nd November 2005, 11:33 AM
Mhm yeah I think that's a mistake... surely should read less than £100 or something :S

The current datacard tariffs for the UK are:
Mobile Office 7 7MB £10.00
Mobile Office 65 65MB £20.00
Mobile Office MAX 05 1000MB £45.00

LeMotor
2nd November 2005, 12:32 PM
...I would love to see these overpriced roaming charges regulated within the EU in Brussels...to stop the Telco's gold rush...:p

getti
4th November 2005, 07:30 AM
PAYG is £10.00 per mb and that is just stupid. I mean when I planned to go 3GSM and update my site via GPRS and my ex-laptop but it would cost a fortune!!.

Just think that an average folder for a review which has the camera & live pictures, plus the pages comes to 8mb. So if I put up the same amount of info a day for 3GSM i would be looking at £80 per day x 4 days =£320

Hands0n
4th November 2005, 03:14 PM
There really will be no answer to this issue unless and until the mobile operators get real with their data charges. Rather than making them an extortionate premium (how odd on a digital network!) like the PTTs of old used to - the answer surely is to bring the cost down so that the service facility actually gets used by all and sundry. I have never had an easy time of understanding the mindset that says "charge the most that you possibly can to the few" rather than "stack it high and sell it cheap, lots of it".

Strictly on topic - the "businessman" was, in my opinion, being naieve in the extreme. He has not got a leg to stand on and Orange are absolutely correct in suggesting that they would use "standard collection activities" on Mr Principle. I think Orange have been quite reasonable in allowing him the ten months to pay off the debt without interest.

getti
5th November 2005, 10:47 AM
I totally agree with you. Data & Call prices are clearly stated and you should not expectcharges to be what you think and get away with it.

It was down to the guy to find out what the pricing was BEFORE he used it.

I would not like it if it was me, but then i would not be stupid enough to not check what pricing was before i went abroad. When i went to France i had to choose between Three and Orange. I found Three to be the cheapest in France so used them.

Ben
5th November 2005, 11:24 AM
It was cheaper to roam with Three when they have no network in France than to roam with Orange on their home turf? That's pretty damn laughable...

Why the hell do we get stuck in these happy price mediums in Europe where no-one actually competes? Three's sustained low-pricing is proof enough for me that costs can come down without breaking the camels back, but the incumbent operators still haven't adjusted their core tariffs from, as far as I can tell, the pre-Three days.

Hands0n
6th November 2005, 08:03 AM
Crazy innit?

The EU commissioners have put the mobile ops on a warning that they will introduce legislation to make extortionate roaming charges history if the mobops do not take care of this anomaly themselves. In the old pre-liberalisation days when the mobops were part and parcel of the nation's PTT the notion of competition was first degree heresy. But post-liberalisation the situation did not change - roaming is seen as something as a cash cow for the mobops.

The EU commissioner (whose name I cannot recall) wants the mobops to encourage international roaming use rather than maintain the current policy of discouragement! Although my politics may not be mainstream I do in particular agree with this kind of EU intervention.

simax
29th December 2005, 10:12 PM
Where can I download about 100Mb for £10 on Orange? Orange World Access 80 is £41.13 with 80MB then £0.65 per MB.

I get 100MB data free every month with my tariff :)