View Full Version : (Sorta) unlocking question

timothythetim
3rd November 2005, 07:52 PM
I am considering cancelling my three contract early beacuse of this price increase. Great.

The only thing is, I have no idea what to do phonewise if I cancel.

I dont really want to stay with three as calls seem to be dropping a bit more, although if I got a tariff with more texts and fewer minutes then I might consider staying, (well, cancelling and joining again).

I found this site the other day http://www.dot-mobile.co.uk/dot/faces/public/exo/tariffs?menu=true and it looks quite good. But its not three, so I couldn't use my 6680. Bummer.

Does anyone think it would be worth it to cancel my three contract, get a crappy nokia phone for free from this website and hope that the 6680 will be unlocked soon?
The only other option as far as I can see would be to get a threepay sim and wait until the 6680 is unlocked before comminting to another contract?
(Or I could just wait another 6 months or so and see out my three contract)

Any help would be much appreciated

Hands0n
3rd November 2005, 08:13 PM
My tuppenceworth:

Get yourself a Threepay USIM and keep using the 6680 until you make your mind up one way or the other. At the very least you'll be able to monitor the network quality in your area (I do not get any cut-off issues whatsoever and typicaly hold quite lengthy voice calls - I mostly use up my 500 mins a month).

".... and hope that the 6680 will be unlocked soon" Chances are that the wait will continue for quite a while more. The tales about the true situation of third party [non-Nokia] unlocking solutions for BB5 are now reaching legendary status. Maybe they will, maybe they wont, but for sure it still cannot be done by anyone but the parent network operator to which the handset is locked (or Nokia themselves, but I've not heard of them doing this).

While you're hanging on in there with a Threepay you can also sample the other network operators, taking out contracts and cancelling within their respective 14-day periods if you're not happy. Or staying with the best in your area if you are happy during the initial period.

Hope this helps you some :)

timothythetim
3rd November 2005, 08:40 PM
Cheers, I may do that. Although I don't know if I can be bothered with all the bother of switching cancelling and porting.

The current contract isnt in my name (I was only 17 when I got it, but if I get a new contract, it would be in my name) so trying to do stuff over the phone on behalf of somone else is quite hard and companies don't like it.

Just thinking though, 6 months isn't all that long to wait for the contract to run out and the cash back I would receive means the contract works out at 15 quid a month.

Descions descions...
I hate them.

Hands0n
3rd November 2005, 08:52 PM
For £15 a month I'd stick with it - thats only 5 or 6 beers-worth a month :) You could easily spend that £15 a month on Threepay and then some depending on your typical usage! Perhaps use the final cashback cheque to pay for a nice handset (if you have to) or just buy those beers to celebrate your good decisionmaking with your brand spanking-new N80 in your hand :D

timothythetim
3rd November 2005, 09:07 PM
Yeah, that now seems the most sensible and least hassel option. Altho 15 quid is 15 beers on a tuesday in the student union :D...
I have just read the thread about vodafone sky. Now I really wanna be on vodafone.
Life's not fair!

Hands0n
3rd November 2005, 09:12 PM
Lol - I got ridiculously smashed at a "student" bar in Sheffield a cupl'a years back where the Buds were £1 a pop (as were all the beers). Couldn't understand why I couldn't feel my legs after 10pm!!

Voda are doing some great tariffs right now and their 3G offerings are looking best of breed as things stand. They certainly got their act right when they made it so easy to go to 3G just be phoning their CS and asking for the existing SIM to be 3G enabled (took less than 24 hours for my PAYT SIM to start working on their 3G). Contrast that with the others!

I'm only waiting for Voda to bring in the 6280 and its Hasta La Vista to Orange (my other mobop) for me!