View Full Version : Channel 4 TV for Vodafone + Orange

3GScottishUser
4th November 2005, 03:50 PM
Channel 4 launches mobile TV channel

Full length episodes of Channel 4's most popular shows are to feature on the broadcaster's new mobile TV channel.

The station - available to 3G subscribers on the Vodafone and Orange networks - will comprise a looped two-hour block of programming, updated on a daily basis.

The launch slate includes shows such as Grand Designs, Supernanny, Brat Camp and It's Me Or The Dog but will be expanded in the coming weeks to include comedy series and made-for-mobile content.

Paul Whitehead, head of business development at C4 New Media, said: "During Celebrity Big Brother, short clips from the programme were downloaded at a rate of over 50,000 per day, and live streaming of Big Brother 6 was incredibly popular, so we know a big appetite exists for compelling mobile content.

"The new mobile channel will provide a brilliant opportunity to increase our understanding of mobile TV's potential as well as providing viewers with a flexible and convenient way to access Channel 4 content even when they're on the move."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds25782.html

Ginz
4th November 2005, 07:26 PM
That's brilliant. Here's to many more.

Ben
4th November 2005, 07:56 PM
Yep, roll on the rest of the channels - I quite like the idea of having these 'mini' channels with some of the top shows on, that way there's always something 'big' to watch. Of course, live news channels like News 24 need to be as-is, but Vodafone's offering is proof for me that mobile TV has a future.

3GScottishUser
4th November 2005, 08:55 PM
I wonder how long it will take the BBC to jump on-board, not long I suspect.

Ginz
4th November 2005, 09:43 PM
BBC are pretty hot on mobile content at the moment so I fully estimate they will be on board in the coming weeks / months. I would guess that in December loads of new channels will appear to try and ensure that everybody who uses it until Jan will continue using it after that and paying.

That's what will be most interesting. If the service is good enough by January to ensure even more money out of me a month.

Ben
4th November 2005, 10:53 PM
The BBC have a problem. They can't be seen, surely, to be 'charging' the people of the UK to access their content given that they have already paid for it through their TV license.

It's an issue that has no doubt dogged the BBC's entry into the mobile space to date.

3GScottishUser
5th November 2005, 08:55 AM
Not sure about that as they already use premium numbers etc for show participation. I dare say they will make streams available to the networks for free eventually but it will be for the networks to decide how much to charge for the airtime to view the programmes.

An interesting dilemma that will hopefully find a solution early in 2006. I cant see the BBC wanting to be left behind by Sky, C4 and the rest.

Ben
5th November 2005, 10:54 AM
Yeah, the premium numbers scenario is slightly different because access to the programming itself is still 'free'. However, once the BBC's multicasting trials are complete (they also have bandwidth issues), you're absolutely correct in that they'll probably make the streams of all its core content available to all (or at least all who want and can justify access).