View Full Version : New N70 arrived.

purplesweetie
9th November 2005, 09:42 AM
I got my new N70 yesterday and what a cracker it is.
Easy to setup and superb pics.
I have installed TT5 which runs great, just like on a pda.
With a nokia bluetooth car kit setup the TT5 sounds come through the speakers which is fab.
I got my phone on O2 and have noticed that they dont have any of there own software installed on it and that it isnt locked. I was well surprised with this.
I thought that all of the providers had tied there phones down.
I am 1 happy chap.

Yssybyl
9th November 2005, 10:10 AM
Sometimes operators agree to take handsets before the "customising" software is available so lucky people like you end up with a standard version - these can be shipped for any operator and so quite often never get locked - did you get a branded box with it?

If you want O2's extra software I'm sure they will install it [and lock your phone no doubt] at a later date but tbh there should be enough freely downloadable to keep you occupied, not to mention the apps that come on the memory card with it...

Glad you like it :)

purplesweetie
9th November 2005, 10:53 AM
I got the standard nokia box.
I dont know what other software that O2 normally includes.

whatleydude
9th November 2005, 11:22 AM
Dude - unlocked N70?!

Nice..

(what's TT5?)

RoryT
9th November 2005, 01:34 PM
Purple Sweetie, hope you dont mind me asking, but where did you get/buy the phone from?

purplesweetie
9th November 2005, 03:06 PM
I got the phone from http://www.mobileshop.com/mobile-phones/o2/contract-mobile-phones/nokia-n70.php

TT5 is: tomtom5, satnav software

I would also like to take this oppertunity to thank everyone who contributes on the forum as it made my mind up as to what phone to get and also which operator to use.
Cheeers guys, keep up the good work....

Ben
9th November 2005, 03:59 PM
Hey RoryT - welcome to Talk3G!

Congrats on the phone, purplesweetie! Excellent news about you receiving a generic handset, how brilliant! That'll be worth some, that!

Let us know how you get on.

solo12002
9th November 2005, 06:32 PM
brilliant! That'll be worth some, that!

It that an offer in the air then @ Ben ??

LOL

andy12
10th November 2005, 08:55 AM
If you don't mind me asking where did you download the TT5 from, and was it free ;)

purplesweetie
10th November 2005, 10:23 AM
I got TT5 from fleabay. £30 inc a 512 memory card. Which is nice!!!!https://talk3g.co.uk/images/icons/icon10.gif

andy12
10th November 2005, 12:59 PM
Just ordered my N70,free phone, 30 quid a month 1000 free text and 500 mins, Good deal???

purplesweetie
10th November 2005, 05:30 PM
I bet you got it on three?
The deal does seem good.

andy12
10th November 2005, 07:40 PM
yea 3, best deal i ve seen at the moment

damiancutts
10th November 2005, 11:53 PM
o2 havn't accepted the nokia n70 on their network yet, probably why there is no branding it is being released on the network wc 14/11/05

purplesweetie
11th November 2005, 12:51 AM
If O2 havent accepted the N70 on there network yet, how come Ive got mine and its working on O2 great?

damiancutts
11th November 2005, 06:57 AM
its probably a third party company someone like singlepoint you are not billed by o2 directly

Ben
11th November 2005, 11:52 AM
If O2 havent accepted the N70 on there network yet, how come Ive got mine and its working on O2 great?
I've actually seen quite a lot of websites, like Expansys for instance, that offer a range of contract tariffs and then connect up handsets that they've sourced themselves. I think it's a really good way of doing things - it breaks the networks control of handset sales.

purplesweetie
11th November 2005, 04:15 PM
Does that mean that if you get a handset from a company like expansys that it would not have any network software on it, like mine?

Hands0n
11th November 2005, 04:37 PM
Yup indeedee :) The pure blessing and benefit of buying SIM-free handsets. You'll pay the full retail price, mind you. The mobile ops buy in huge bulk and at near factory door prices (bearing no relation to the retail price in the high street for a handset on its own without contract).

Once the networks get their hands on the handsets they "brand" them with varying degrees of intensity. Some (like 3 for instance) even have some of the handset's functionality crippled to protect their revenue stream. For example, not allowing you to load MP3 ringtones - only download them, at a charge, from their network portal.

SIM-free handsets have no such "branding" or crippling and are as the manufacturer intended, everything works.

You pays your money and takes your choices.....

getti
12th November 2005, 03:10 PM
The N70 Sim Free is now only £348 on Mobile Fun. BARGAIN!!

Remember not long ago it was £605 at Expansys

cyberkid999
12th November 2005, 04:23 PM
I got the standard nokia box.
I dont know what other software that O2 normally includes.

O2 dont normally lock their contract handsets and they dont brand them apart from adding the settings and possibly a theme - ie wallpaper and startup shows.:D

Ben
12th November 2005, 04:26 PM
The N70 Sim Free is now only £348 on Mobile Fun. BARGAIN!!

Remember not long ago it was £605 at Expansys
Yikes, that is pretty reasonable considering it hasn't been out all that long. I daresay as more people buy SIM-Free it'll drive prices down, but we could really do with some more SIM-Only contract competition to spice things up a little and help justify the initial outlay. Of course, the companies that are pairing up SIM-Free handsets with operator contracts are doing a fine job with what they have.