View Full Version : Dealers NOT recomending LG U8120

3GScottishUser
8th April 2005, 02:50 PM
From Mobile Today (08/04/2005):

Dealers are no longer recommending 3’s top-selling handset as reports persist of problems with reliability and repairs.

The LG U8110 and U8120 were recently featured on the BBC’s Watchdog following 300 complaints about the handset since Christmas. LG admits that software design errors were identified at the end of last year causing screen freezes, display and messaging errors, but insists that an overhaul of the operating system has put the matter right.

LG and 3 are investigating the efficiency of TRS, which handles all returns, amid reports that handsets are bouncing backwards and forwards without being repaired.

‘When a phone goes for repair, it’s supposed to be completely reset and re-flashed. 3’s phones can just come back absolutely identical – questions need to be asked about quality control,’ one volume connector told Mobile.

Another mail order seller, who asked not to be named, added: ‘I’ve stopped stocking the LGs completely. I was having huge problems with them, they were coming back left, right and centre.’

Andrew Mullen, general manager of LG, told Mobile: ‘We have been aware that there have been phones that have bounced back, and it’s something we feel we need to look at again.’

He added: ‘We are reviewing the quality of TRS’s work. We are confident they’re doing a good job, but it doesn’t hurt to have a look. 3 and ourselves are also talking about what we should be doing if a customer has a repair that fails [again].’

He strongly denied that handsets were frequently returning several times: ‘The handset is such a big seller that even a low failure rate means you can be talking about large numbers of returns.’

In a recent survey of 120 dealers by Mobile, the LG U8110 and U8120 were cited more than any other handset as susceptible to technical problems. Several dealers claimed to have ongoing difficulties with returns, and a number said they were avoiding the phone as a result.

‘3 have a good turnaround service, but I estimate 50% come back unrepaired. It’s embarrassing,’ said one East London dealer.

Not all retailers agree about the rate of failure. Carphone Warehouse boss Andrew Harrison told Mobile: ‘We have had no more problems with LG than any other model. It can be hard to guess if it’s the network or the phone.’

TRS told Mobile: ‘Clearly, there is an issue with one of the LG handsets. But this is often the case with new technology.’

‘TRS is working closely with 3 and LG to bring a resolution to this problem. We take customer service extremely seriously and are anxious to maintain the very high levels of satisfaction for which we are known.’

3 said it was confident that all glitches with LG handsets had been fixed.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/artman-test/publish/article_268.shtml

miffed
8th April 2005, 03:14 PM
and the saddest thing of all

This is arguably "The Best" handset H3G have to offer !

I am sure Three must be feeling very frustrated , much as they'd deny it

3GScottishUser
8th April 2005, 09:56 PM
When it first came out I liked the LG U8110/8120 but as time has gone on it looks more like the Kia Rio of the phone market.

Ben
8th April 2005, 10:19 PM
It's all relative I guess - when they first came out they were mostly held alongside the NEC alternatives. Now what would you choose?! Time has moved on, and it has not been kind to the LG's design or size. The 'facelifts' have kept it a seller, but the LG U81XX series is so over - especially since all the faults came to light.

Still, it doesn't deter from the fact that users are still buying these things like crazy. Again, other than the smartphones, there aren't a great deal of alternatives on the Three network right now. The 6630 from CPW, even though it's a smartphone, could change that somewhat though...

Hands0n
20th April 2005, 10:21 AM
As could the new Moto flipphone V1150 which will be my next phone but probably not on H3's network unless the game changes by Jan 06.

I just picked up an LG8120 on eBay with V100 software . It seems to work 100% at the moment - I did a Factory Reset after I took it out of the box. If it pi55es around too much I'll see if I can get it flashed to V105 (the latest I read).

First impressions are that it is quite slow compared to my E1000. Somewhere between the speed of my e606 and the A835 I'd say. Which is not entirely good in my book.

It is very sad to see H3, TRS and CPW in full Tony Blair denial mode ("doing a Blair" as the kids call it round here - "Oi! you Blairin me?" heard over the fence the other day!!). Clearly the LG 81xx handsets have had a massive problem regardless of how many they've sold. The East End dealer's comment about 50% repair returns should not be dismissed lightly as the punters are not really that stupid. Repair the damaged reputation by action not by denial .

Once the dealers turn their backs on the LG phone it will signal its demise as the reputation will spread like wildfire. And the small independents will not stint at badmouthing it in favour of their fave brand or model (mine even offered me an E1000 for a few days to play with before deciding!!!). The effect is almost bound to pass on to later and future LG handsets.

IT really is a shame though - I think that the LG 81xx is a lovely looking phone, moreso when open than shut.