View Full Version : Vodafone SIM-Only Pay Monthly - extreme value confirmed.

Ben
14th November 2005, 03:22 PM
Could it be time to go SIM-Free?

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewPayMonthlySims

With double minutes, 1000 texts and a 30-day contract it was clear from the start that Vodafone's SIM-Only Pay Monthly deal was a good buy. Just £25 per month is enough to bag this deal with 250 xnet minutes.

It was never crystal clear, however, just what 1000 texts actually means. Vodafone provide all of their texts, MMS and data add-ons as extras-packs, meaning 1000 texts should, theoretically, equate to Vodafone's top-end extras pack (£40 value) that buys £120 of services.

While this had been verbally confirmed to me, it's always nice to get written confirmation. Today, on my first bill since switching to the new priceplan, I can confirm that it is indeed that massive £40 extras pack that you will receive if you give the SIM-Only option a whirl. From my bill: "At the start of November, you had 120.00 from your extras pack."

Ok, so you're used to paying ~£25 a month and getting a free phone. Just think about it for a moment though. That £40 extras pack is worth £480 over the course of a year, which more than justifies buying your very own generic, unlocked, unbranded handset. So, while you wont necessarily be paying Vodafone any less than you might pay now, you'll be getting the money you spent on your own phone back as a monthly credit for texting, MMS and web browsing to your hearts content.

Remember, Vodafone SIM cards can be 3G-enabled, meaning you can slot one of these SIMs into your 3G phone, like I did with my 6680, and access everything you should be able to. On my generic phone I can watch Vodafone TV, download music tracks and do everything else a branded-customer can.

So, next time you want a new phone, consider Vodafone's SIM-Only Pay Monthly deal and maybe, just maybe, buy your handset SIM-Free.

Ginz
15th November 2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks for that, a week or so after I get my N70 on Voda. :p

It does make great sense and does actually make me think otherwise as to if I actually want to carry through an 18 month contract.

For £25 a month I'm getting 120 minutes, 250 texts and sport downloads.

I can't most of the time get the sports downloads to work for me so you think I should cancel and go on to this sim only offer? I've got a week left to decide.

The only difference I can see is that I'm getting free football downloads.

Ben
15th November 2005, 11:53 PM
I guess it depends whether you want to spend the lump-sum on a SIM-Free handset. I guess it's the stumbling block for most people - the lure of a 'free' phone... that is paid for over the term of the contract.

Mobilefun (http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/8101.htm) has the N70 for £339.95. So...

You already have a £14 extras pack (250 texts) = £168 over 12 months
SIM-Only gives £40 extras pack (1000 texts) = £480 over 12 months
The difference is £312 over 12 months. Add in the value of the double minutes and you're easily getting reimbursed for buying the phone outright and SIMless. If you follow! :p

However, to put things in perspective...
The total cost of your 18 month contract = £450
The total cost of 18 months SIM-Free + N70 = £789.95 ;)

It's swings and roundabouts. As always, it depends on what you actually need.

3GScottishUser
16th November 2005, 08:10 AM
You could of course get a Vodafone PAYG 3G handset which would save more as they are subsidised in many cases.

Ginz
17th November 2005, 12:40 AM
However, to put things in perspective...
The total cost of your 18 month contract = £450
The total cost of 18 months SIM-Free + N70 = £789.95

That answers that one then pretty easily! Nicely done.