View Full Version : S750's for £39 (recon)

miffed
14th November 2005, 05:46 PM
Hello chaps (remember me ? )

Well I've just ordered one of these out of curiosity more than anything

http://www.orangeaccessories.co.uk/incentiveDetails.aspx?pc=5&np=8&m=98&p=1689&i=604762&pkg=583039&st=1&offset=0&hp=0&rt=0&categoryquantity=0&gb=0

This'll be my first 3G phone since the e228 - So I'll feel qualified to post on here again

I realise these didn't get the greatest reviews , but for £40 I thought it'd be worth a go ! surely they must have been flashed up with the latest "bug free" "firm"ware ? , looking forward to it getting here anyway , I like getting things in the post

Ben
14th November 2005, 09:19 PM
Ahh great stuff, and about time too might I add! ;) Looking forward to hearing your take on the thing... so long as you don't ask too much of the Sanyo handsets I think they're actually pretty decent.

Hands0n
14th November 2005, 11:47 PM
I actually felt my wallet twitch in my pocket when I followed the link :) But my willpower was strong enough to resist ........ I've really got to sort out the difference between Want and Need! :)

Welcome back to the 3G table @miffed - I also look forward to your experiences with the Sanyo thing and the Orange network/portal etc...

3g-g
15th November 2005, 01:07 AM
I have to say, I've still got, and still make use of my Sanyo S750, it's a handset I quite like using! I never had any of the problems that most initial users had with Bluetooth, it held calls well and the sound quality was great. The one advantage it still has (IMO) over my 6680 is it's SD card support. My digital camera is SD, my PDA is SD and so's the Sanyo, so my 1Gig card went everywhere. Music, photos, files, tomtom maps the lot, all on the one card. The support of that one storage facility has meant that my 6680 will never see more than the 64Mb that came with it...

For £40 I don't think you can go wrong really. My Sanyo also made it as a 3G modem a couple of times!

Hands0n
15th November 2005, 07:18 AM
At those measurements 108 x 50 x 22 mm the S750 is 3mm longer (closed & not including the twig), 5mm narrower and 3mm thinner than the 6680.

Is it too much to assume that the PAYG SIM card supplied is Orange 3G? Always recalling what the first three letter of "assume" spell!

It is interesting that Orange should have a large enough batch of refurb'd S750s for sale. Did they really get so many kicked back at them, and why? Orange's 3G network was in its infancy when this would have first entered its handset portfolio. Too soon for customer satisfaction maybe?

Ben
15th November 2005, 10:54 AM
I'd hope it includes a 3G PAYG SIM... otherwise that's just silly!

I think they would have received a large number of returns for a couple of reasons. Yes, the bluetooth issue on the early firmware will have generated oodles of problems, but also the fact that there was no real manual with this phone other than an Orange branded thing must have made it extremely hard to figure out for some people. Sanyo, since, have put up a manual on their website AFAIK.

If it initially sold well but punters experienced 'missed call' madness then that could also be a reason...

Hands0n
15th November 2005, 11:06 AM
Blimey! Talk about shoot yourself in the foot!

I'm tempted, just to sample Orange 3G before I make any final decisions about Contract renewal/migration as I'm now out of my 12 months with Orange.

To digress slightly, I don't think that the France Telecom ownership is doing Orange any favours. The last thing they need is a traditional PTT mindset running the operation. Especially in the face of much more vibrant competition in the form of Vodafone and, dare I say it, 3. And that is colouring my opinion of whether to stay or jump ship - that and current array of 3G handsets on Orange website - and their limited Upgrade possibilities for existing customers. But I've banged on about this elsewhere .....

So, whether or not to even bother sampling their 3G using one of these (which I could always sell on afterwards)? Decisions, decisions. :D

Edit: Whats the diff between this (the S750) and the S750i on Orange's website?

Ben
15th November 2005, 11:10 AM
The S750i looks pretty :) There are probably minor software differences also, but afaik the hardware is identical.