View Full Version : New Moto Razr Telly Advert

Hands0n
15th November 2005, 07:26 AM
Anyone seen the new Motorola V3 RAZR advert? The one where the young lady is getting ready to go out, hopping around pulling on a pair of very tight jeans that barely fit? The last thing she does is flick through three different coloured RAZR handsets, picks the pink one and slips it into her back pocket (very unwise if you ask me).

The point is, why are Motorola advocating having three different coloured handsets? Could this be the beginning of the "Lifestyle" push by the manufacturers. Something I've been banging on about for the best part of 2005. I certainly hope so.

But, and this is the big but (she had a very small butt :) ) how are the mobile network operators going to respond to such a promotion? What will they do if this idea captures the buying public's imagination? Will we be able to buy handests for Lifestyle purposes at prices only marginally above the contract price? Or do they really think the public wholesale will buy handsets at the current ridiculously artificial SIM-free price?

Oh, bring it on :D

bsrjl1
15th November 2005, 03:54 PM
Imagine if you could change the colour of your phone. You could change them quickly & call them Xpress-on covers! Oh wait... it's already been done.

Hands0n
15th November 2005, 04:02 PM
Have you ever changed the cover on a RAZR? :)

But back to Lifestyle for a mo. Think about it, a Nokia N70 for work and serious play, Samsung Z500 for discrete going out stylee, Nokia N92 for travelling, LG U880 for the wife's handbag ...... endless possibilities from a drawer full of handsets, one for every occasion?

whatleydude
15th November 2005, 04:16 PM
Oh yeah - brilliant..

Out clubbing with my Nokia Flashy Light phone (cant remember the number of it)... ok - need to call a cab... bugger - all my numbers are on my N70.

But Hey! At least my phone looks good.

Maybe I'll hail a cab?
Oh no - I've got no money because I spent it all on a bunch of handets for each different part of my 'lifestyle'..

But hey! At least I had four phones to choose from when I got ready.

Ok - I'll jump in my mates car and go home with him..

Oh - I cant. Because I took so bloody long trying to decide what phone to 'wear' I didnt meet him on time so I dont know where he is...

But hey! My phone matches my shoes!

...ad infinitum.

Ben
15th November 2005, 05:05 PM
Excellent points, hence why I'd like to see:
On-Network Contact Synchronisation allowing the same contacts to be kept identical across a range of different handsets over-the-air.
Hot-Swappable SIM Slot similar to the memory card slots we see today, so the SIM module can be removed without removing the covers/battery.
Multiple SIMs per account so the last phone to be switched on assumes your phone number and account details removing the need for swappable SIMs altogether.

Hands0n
16th November 2005, 07:56 AM
Yes, it is not that the means or the technology is not possible. It is simply that it is not made available to us [yet] to make Lifestyle ownership of mobile phone handsets a practical proposition. But to a greater or lesser degree it will happen, starting with the more technically adept until essentially "plug and play" (to coin a phrase) happens.

NB: Do we not already have at least one network that will back up all of your contacts online? I cant recall who it is right now but I've seen one of them doing this already.

Ben
16th November 2005, 09:59 AM
Orange... on certain phones (more proprietary software?). Vodafone apparently also offer multiple SIMs to selected customers... but according to Mobile it stops even SMS working! One day someone will start innovating again instead of chasing the 3G cash-cow dream with a stick looking for instant gratification.

Trix
27th November 2005, 03:35 PM
Hey, who cares if havin 10 different handsets causes U loads of grief.

More toys 2 choose from, and always having the coolest phone for every situation . . . . . ah heaven :p