View Full Version : N70 Mail Client

teclo
16th November 2005, 03:50 PM
I take delivery of my shiney new N70 tomorrow on the Vodahone network, and I was wondering, what is the mail client like on the phone? Any good?

Ben
16th November 2005, 04:38 PM
Nokia's mail client is pretty decent, so yes, it's pretty good. It's not jump-up-and-down fantastic, but it does the basics pretty well and I was impressed that I could receive attachments, ie PDFs, and download/view them on the handset (Nokia 6680).

Luckily, as it's a Series 60 smartphone, if you don't like the standard mail client you can go out and find a better one! :D

Welcome to Talk3G!

teclo
16th November 2005, 04:51 PM
Cheers Ben, when I get the phone I'll put it through it's paces and do a little write up on it.

Looking forward to tomorrow :)

Ginz
17th November 2005, 12:44 AM
I have to say I've been impressed with nearly every aspect of the N70. I have it set up so all my email from my primary Gmail account is forwarded to my Vodafone email account which I can access on my phone. It works absolute wonders I tell thee!

teclo
17th November 2005, 06:20 PM
Sadly for me and my lovely shiney new toy are having problems already.

I set up my own email account in the built in email client and oh dear, it's been a world of hurt since then.

The body of the email comes through without any problems, unfortunatly if I have an attachment, attached, the file is corrupted.

Sending pictures to flickr results in corrupted images, sending mp3's, video files, word docs and excel files result in destroyed and unusable files.

Has anyone else come across this problem.

I send pictures to my flickr account all the time and I find this a big pain in the arse on a brand new phone.

Ben
17th November 2005, 07:03 PM
Bizzare...perhaps give Vodafone's own mail a try and see if that works? Might help if we can narrow it down to a handset, network or mail service problem.

teclo
17th November 2005, 08:12 PM
Bizzare...perhaps give Vodafone's own mail a try and see if that works? Might help if we can narrow it down to a handset, network or mail service problem.

Well I did that just after I posted last time. I created a vodafone email account and then tried sending a pic to flickr again and guess what? It worked perfectly.

Makes me wonder what vodafone are doing when emailing via your own account.

Ben
17th November 2005, 08:24 PM
Mhm. There are definitely no further settings you need to configure? To be sure who the fault lies with the best thing to do would be try a different POP3 provider and see if attachments get corrupted when using that as well. If they do then I guess we can put it down to Vodafone - and then the battle begins!

At least you can use Vodafone's email service while you're trying to sort out the third party front.

teclo
17th November 2005, 10:15 PM
Well it is odd, my host is a plain bog standard pop server with no extra fancy features to connect with.

As for the voda settings, I went into the website signed up for the mail, then just popped the username and password in and it worked.

A friend was able to recreate the same results using voda on another n70.

Wierd isn't it.

Other than that, I love this damn phone.. It feels so perfectly weighted in my hand.

Yssybyl
18th November 2005, 09:52 AM
Just to allay any panic [and for anyone else who comes across this thread via a google search ;) ]...

This has been thoroughly tested by Nokia on all UK networks on the N-series and legacy handsets and *only* occurs with Vodaphone - regardless of whether you have a Vodafone branded phone or an unlocked phone with a vodafone SIM. It also seems to happen regardless of attachment type and email set up. This appears to be a VF "feature" and not a problem with the email client on the phone, perhaps to force you to use their services?

If there are any further developments I'll let you all know.

Ben
18th November 2005, 10:23 AM
Bizzare! Great insight though, thanks! Perhaps it's something to do with compression :S Looks like your fight is with Vodafone then, teclo. Let us know what they say?

teclo
18th November 2005, 10:40 AM
Will do. When I spoke to them yesterday they said that they don't allow attachments in emails I told them that this was disgraceful.

So the girl tried to do some testing, but couldnt find an N70 set up correctly and has now sent the problem to Vodafone engineers to chase up. Apparently, I should hear something from the engineers. Doubt I will hear from them though.

So now I need to see how I well I can receive email from one account while sending via another account.