View Full Version : Move to mini SD across the range

Yssybyl
16th November 2005, 04:43 PM
After the launch of the N80, and N71 you may be wondering what Nokia are doing with regard to memory cards. Well, all the "in development" projects [i.e. the ones that haven't been launched yet] will use the mini SD cards and *not* the RS MMC. So, unless you want to stick with your N70 forever, prob best to scratch that 1GB MMC off your Christmas list unless you have other used for it.

Nokia seem to have decided that mini SD is the way forward for N-series...

Ben
16th November 2005, 04:47 PM
Do you know if Nokia will be maintaining RS-MMC in its other products or markets? I only ask because it'd make far more sense to do a clean sweep across the board to miniSD rather than have an ugly mixture of both.

I think everyone welcomes the change to miniSD as a good move.

Thanks for the info!

Yssybyl
16th November 2005, 04:49 PM
To the best of my knowledge it's across the board, but I wouldn't swear to it as I'm not privvy to the workings of the inner sanctum! :)

Everything I've seen for development 2006 is mini SD

whatleydude
7th December 2005, 11:05 AM
Do we prefer mini-SD as a format then?

Whats the difference?
How are they better?

Just out of curiosity..

I think I am still going to buy a gig of rs-mmc... and then just sell them on ebay afterwards..

:)

Yssybyl
7th December 2005, 11:32 AM
I think I'm going to get one too as I don't forsee changing from the n70 during 2006. Although I might wait until they've dropped a little in price ;)

Having said that, I don't tend to keep music, photos and video on the phone - so maybe the 64MB that came with it will last me for quite a while...

whatleydude
7th December 2005, 11:44 AM
I know what you mean about the price mate - but I am hoping to make some money back with my purchase.
I've managed to secure two memory cards on pre-order.

I understand that the cards themselves will be quite hard to come by on release day so fingers crossed some ebayers will be willing to pay over the odds for my second one, so to speak..

:)

I agree with you though, the 1GB that I'll keep for myself will come in handy until I upgrade again - which probably won't be until at least August '06.

What do you think about the actual mini-SD format though chap?

Yssybyl
7th December 2005, 12:06 PM
tbh it's just a speed thing. mini SD have faster read/write times (about 3-4 times faster than MMC iirc) and the more you jam into a phone in the way of multimedia the more this becomes important. e.g. saving 3MP images rather than 2MP to keep a good *ahem* "user experience" you need to keep the speed down and access times and read/write differences become important. For the N70, the rs MMC is more than adequate (although I expect if you have a 1Gig card full of pictures that the gallery may slow a little ;) ), but for the N80 and future as yet unnamed releases (*smirks*), the camera and music specs require better performance, and external memory should not be a detrimental link.

MMC suits me, because I'm a patient person who tends to use technology until it falls apart in her hands (I'd still be on 2G if I hadn't been given a free phone and free contract), and I have a digital SLR for "proper" pictures and tend to listen to the radio through the phone rather than MP3s. I can't see other users being as understanding :)

whatleydude
7th December 2005, 12:11 PM
Ah.. thought i might be.

Cool.

Also - apologies for calling you chap etc..
For some reason I assumed you were male.

Consider me humbled!

;)
lol

Yssybyl
7th December 2005, 12:49 PM
no worries, I tend to use chap/mate etc myself regardless of who I'm talking to :)

Us girlies like our gadgets too ;)

Hands0n
7th December 2005, 02:44 PM
He/She who dies with the most toys wins :D

It is also my understanding that SD is more attuned to supporting DRM and Copyright methods. Although for the life of me I cannot recall where I read this or how it really differs from MMC in any other way. There has to be a difference besides i/o speed otherwise why bother with developing MMC further, just nip on over to SD and be done with!

I have a 1GB MMC (200x speed) from adata.com.tw and it is very fast indeed in those devices that support the standard. It is full sized and I got it for an NGage wot I have. Then RS/MMC came out and now yet another change to MiniSD (note no MiniMMC). Too many differing standards and not enough opportunity to re-use what should be a transferable resource. Time for a standards shake-out methinks.

superfakename
7th December 2005, 07:28 PM
It doesn't end with miniSD as some of the other nokias namely 3250 and 3G models 6233 and 6234 are using microSD aka transflash..

Hands0n
7th December 2005, 11:33 PM
MicroSD vs MiniSD = same fing (TransFlash) different name :) There has been confusion in the precise name and it has been interpreted into those two forms. Do a google on "MiniSD MicroSD" http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=miniSD+microSD&meta= and you'll find an abundance of the interchangeable use of the name!! Great for the uninitiated :(