View Full Version : Sony Introduces Movies For -Mobiles- Nokias

Ben
16th November 2005, 07:06 PM
Oops? (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1842)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2141 (Written by the superdooper Gordon Kelly over at the superdooper TrustedReviews)

Out in the next few weeks priced £19.99 will be a selection of Sony Pictures Digital (obviously) releases and surprisingly there isn’t a proprietary Memory Stick in sight (someone got up on the right side of the bed). Instead, the chosen format is MMC meaning non Sony video capable handsets such as Nokia’s recently released N90, N70 and 6680 will be able to take full advantage.

The first titles to see the light of day will be the (dreadful, sorry just my controversial opinion) Spiderman 2 and the unsurpassable Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Camelot, ‘tis a silly place). Scampering just behind these two pictures of staggeringly different quality will be the amiable Hitch, classic Ghostbusters, hysterically inept Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle and rather endearing Stuart Little, with more to follow.

is a sign of the tumbling prices of flash memory that movies can now be affordably produced on formats like MMC. Don’t think about playing them on anything larger than a handset screen, however, since the cards themselves are only 128MB meaning the reduced encoding quality will collapse into a blurry mush should you attempt to enlarge it.

Now if we just pray long and hard Sony will find it in its heart to release The Life of Brian. If we neglect our sermons though, we get Spiderman 1. *Shudder* In fact, so chilling is this proposition I vote will start our reverence now will a recital from the hallowed prayer of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch:

Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy. And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Hands0n
16th November 2005, 08:55 PM
Yea, "Oops" is right :) lol. And with Sony's recent hosing with Copy Protection (a Sony euphamism for cloaked software installed on your PC) on certain of their CDs they have some way to go to win back public confidence in buying their product.

Full on movies on your mobile handset? I've not tried it yet - there are plenty of good tools to rip/encode a DVD to a *.3GP file format. The nearest I got to was an episode of The Simpsons. It was 64MBytes in size and unwatchable!