View Full Version : Help/Advice with 6680 and Three's repair service

a_ukboy
17th November 2005, 02:05 AM
Hiya Peeps,

Right guys and girls i need to know what i can do about this..

Basically i have a 6680 on Three, got it in May so only 6 months into my contract.
About a month ago i took my phone to CPW in Baker Street to have a software upgrade as my phone would freeze once or twice a day (which it always had done)
They installed the latest Three software into my phone but after that was done i was unable to use Mobi TV and Active Standby had also gone (used Active Standby to display my work shifts) which i found very useful...
However the phone freezing issue had stopped so one bonus i guess!!

A couple of weeks later i took my phone to another Nokia Repair centre (Essex Cellular Telephones in Barkingside) Told them that recently had CPW install Three's latest software and now missing applications that i previously used so asked if they would install Nokia's generic version to which they said yes.
30 mins later the guy came out with my phone saying the phone crashed during the software upgrade and now won't work at all, told me to contact Three..

Three took the phone under their 3 day repair service, when it came back it had a letter stating the phone has liquid damage and that its not covered by the warrenty and unable to fix it

I know my phone has been no where near any liquid while its been in my presence, phoned Three who basically said tough, nothing they can do...

Now today (Wed) i took my phone to a phone repair shop near where i work, it has a big sign in the window saying they fix water damaged handsets!!
The guy in the shop took my 6680 apart and searched, he then told me that he can see NO evidence of any liquid damage and showed me the stickers that had been placed in the phone showing where the liquid damage is suppose to be...

Now where can i go from this?
I basically want my phone replaced or repaired and feel im being lied too by Three's repair centre now, however i don't know who i should be speaking to regarding this, also if i tell Three or Nokia that some shop (Not a Nokia approved repair centre) has taken my phone apart won't they tell me its invalidated my warrenty???

Thanks

Hands0n
17th November 2005, 10:12 AM
If 3 are being silly about this - and it is their repair centre, a contracted in 3rd party not 3 itself, then you might have some success with getting the phone looked at by an authorised repair centre. Errrrr, that means back to CPW, probably.

If you want to push it with 3, and this is why they have such a poor reputation - they simply are inept at handling cases when things go wrong - you could try emailing their Customer Services at [email protected] which should elicit a UK response from them. Failing that you could address your complaint to their management with an email to Bob Fuller himself - although he wont' read it, but one of his more-senior-than-CS minions will and may take positive action.

Any repair centre worth their salt will know of the discretely placed paper liquid-damage indicators within all mobile phone handsets. These discolour instantly on any water ingress to the handset. If yours are not discoloured then it totally discredits 3's repair centre and you should cite this in any email you send.

Apart from that, be prepared for a bit of a fight on your hands but whatever you do, don't admit to having the phone reflashed by an indie.

Ben
17th November 2005, 11:04 AM
It sounds to me like CPW are responsible. They're the authorised Nokia service centre in most places, and if they broke your handset then they need to return it to Nokia and/or have it replaced. I've heard of other cases where Nokia handsets with high levels of operator customisation stop working after being flashed with generic software, and I'm pretty certain that in some of those cases Nokia have replaced the handset. At the end of the day, it's under warranty, and while Three should be assisting you Nokia (+CPW) almost certainly have to!

The alternative is to send it off to Three again for repair. There's a good chance it'll get fixed, especially if you include a cover letter stating it's a software problem and how/when the problem happened. I'd not mention anything about liquid damage...

a_ukboy
17th November 2005, 12:20 PM
It sounds to me like CPW are responsible. They're the authorised Nokia service centre in most places, and if they broke your handset then they need to return it to Nokia and/or have it replaced. I've heard of other cases where Nokia handsets with high levels of operator customisation stop working after being flashed with generic software, and I'm pretty certain that in some of those cases Nokia have replaced the handset. At the end of the day, it's under warranty, and while Three should be assisting you Nokia (+CPW) almost certainly have to!

The alternative is to send it off to Three again for repair. There's a good chance it'll get fixed, especially if you include a cover letter stating it's a software problem and how/when the problem happened. I'd not mention anything about liquid damage...

Thanks for your replys!!

First of all it was working fine when CPW had it, it was Cellular Mobile Telephones where the phone went in working, then came back not..
Also if i sednd it back to Three then inside the phone they have stickers of where the water damage is suppose to be!!