View Full Version : Might be getting a 6630

maven
17th November 2005, 11:25 PM
...seeing as amazon are selling them for £120!

It's on Orange PAYG but I don't really want to use it on 3G - would the enclosed SIM be for its 3G service only? Would I be able to put a normal Orange 2G SIM in it and use that?

Hands0n
18th November 2005, 12:05 AM
I'd have thought that an Orange 2G SIM in an Orange 3G handset would work just fine seeing as UMTS is normally one of the available bands on the [3G] handsets of the day.

But your question begs another question in return. Why on Earth would you want to put a 2G SIM into a 3G handset on the Orange network?

You really do not have to use 3G for anything more than voice calls and SMS text, something you're probably doing on 2G anyway. Later, if there is anything much else on 3G that takes your fancy you can go for it immediately without having to go through a conversion process first!

maven
18th November 2005, 01:31 AM
I'm doing it because I really like the 6630 and for £120, I can't argue with that. OK the battery life is a bit pants but that was usually down to it struggling to find a 3G signal.

The reason it would be on Orange is because they're the network offering it at that price.

Hands0n
18th November 2005, 07:37 AM
Ah, I see. Might I suggest that before you trash the 3G USIM you should see if you can lock the handset down to 2G for now. That is something that you may be able to do in the 6630's native setup menus. If not, there is likely to be a Symbian utility that will do the same [there is one for the 6680] (cyberkid999 on this forum has a wealth of experience with the 6630 so you could always ask him). At least, that way, you are not burning your 3G bridges :) and will be able to use their 3G network when Orange ultimately boost the signal availability in your area of work and play.

Regarding Battery Life - there is a discussion on the Symbian forum that may interest you - one responder says "And apparently the 1050mAh BL-6C battery from the N-Gage QD works in the 6630. " The standard 6630 battery is 850mAh. The full thread is here --> http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/archive/t-32455.html

As an aside; it is interesting to witness the big four mobile operators go through exactly the same 3G signal availability issues as 3 did when it launched. They make much play on the fact that there is seamless handover between 3G and 2G but it does take its toll on the handset battery life.

Ben
18th November 2005, 09:43 AM
AFAIK on an Orange branded handset you still have the standard "Dual Mode" and "GSM Only" options. If you use the 3G USIM then you have the option of using 3G when you're in a good signal area, plus you've got the 'fureproofness', so it's probably worth using the USIM.

You can, of course, put in a 2G Orange SIM if you want.

maven
18th November 2005, 09:48 PM
OK thanks for that - so if I use the 3G SIM, will I be able to have the 2G tariffs?

Ben
19th November 2005, 09:06 AM
AFAIK (and can tell from the website) Orange's PAYG plans apply to all handsets, 2G or 3G. http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/payasyougo/plans

cyberkid999
19th November 2005, 09:30 AM
That is something that you may be able to do in the 6630's native setup menus. If not, there is likely to be a Symbian utility that will do the same [there is one for the 6680] (cyberkid999 on this forum has a wealth of experience with the 6630 so you could always ask him). At least, that way, you are not burning your 3G bridges :) and will be able to use their 3G network when Orange ultimately boost the signal availability in your area of work and play.

yes the same application - field test display - will work on the 6630 just as well but if the network menu has not been fiddled with it should be fine to just set it to GSM using the network menu.
I have been using my 6630 with a 3G O2 SIM and it works very well swapping back and forth very quickly so I have not bothered setting it to GSM (2G) at the moment.

maven
19th November 2005, 09:43 PM
I have been using my 6630 with a 3G O2 SIM and it works very well swapping back and forth very quickly so I have not bothered setting it to GSM (2G) at the moment.

But isn't that what kills the battery the most?

And talking of which, is it true the N-Gage battery will fit it?

maven
3rd December 2005, 10:36 PM
*cough*......:D

3GsINgH
4th December 2005, 12:00 AM
the ngage battery will fit in a 6630 and if you leave it on 3g mode it wont neccessarily kill the battery. I always thought it was down to signal strength like if you lived in a strong 3g signal area you wouldnt need to keep switching modes. If you lived in an area with low 3g signal you would kill the battery more as you would keep switching...here it would be best to put the phone onto gsm only. So it all depends on where you live and how good the signal is if you see what i mean

jbab
16th January 2006, 01:59 PM
Re: Unlocking a Nokia 6630 . . . ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanted my nokia 6630 unlocked
Contacted this site http://www.unlockster.piczo.com/?cr=2&rfm=y under recomendation from a dealer on ebay paid through paypal.
this was in december, contacted him in jan, got told he hadnt got my payment so i contacted paypal got a copy of the comformation sent & sent it to him over a week of me sending e-mail to him & he hasnt the decency to reply just ignores me!!!

HE IS A RIP OFF

Ben
16th January 2006, 02:07 PM
Welcome to Talk3G :)

There is no unlocking solution for the 6630. You have to get it unlocked by the network that locked it. Unfortunately you were being conned from the get-go. :(

jbab
16th January 2006, 06:55 PM
:mad: So i found out but have a look at his site he is claiming that he can unlock most new nokia's BIG CLAIMS @£10 a time :mad:
3 claim they DONT have the unlock codes for the new NOKIA'S:(
They told me it was part of the deal they made with NOKIA:(

Ben
16th January 2006, 10:22 PM
Three may well be lying to you... AFAIK they can unlock, at a price, which can top £100. However, I'm not contracted to 3, so a 3 user with experience in this area will need to verify this.

Unfortunately some websites are plain dishonest. We outed one on here a little while ago and it promptly disappeared, but it had a proper domain and contact information. This outfit you've found looks a little more amatuer though :(

Still, thanks for making everyone aware!

maxspank
17th January 2006, 02:00 AM
:mad: So i found out but have a look at his site he is claiming that he can unlock most new nokia's BIG CLAIMS @£10 a time :mad:
3 claim they DONT have the unlock codes for the new NOKIA'S:(
They told me it was part of the deal they made with NOKIA:(

Nokia wouldn't care if the phone's were locked or not, its for the networks benefit. Vodafone don't hold the codes for most Nokias and we jsut request them form Nokia

whatleydude
17th January 2006, 09:20 AM
Yeah - I emailed Vodafone with my IMEI number and they emailed me back the unlock code.

Where did you get your 6630 from dude?

jbab
17th January 2006, 11:36 AM
Yeah - I emailed Vodafone with my IMEI number and they emailed me back the unlock code.

Where did you get your 6630 from dude?

Carphone warehouse on 3

whatleydude
17th January 2006, 02:44 PM
And when did you get it?

Vodafone gave me the unlock code for my 6630 gratis after my 10mth upgrade.

jbab
17th January 2006, 03:09 PM
And when did you get it?

Vodafone gave me the unlock code for my 6630 gratis after my 10mth upgrade.
Roughly 12 months is up i contacted nokia today been told they dont lock or unlock any of there phones it is the network SO i contacted 3 guess what we dont have any codes for the NOKIA's. Contact NOKIA.:mad:
3 will not co operate they are adimant they dont have the codes:mad:

Ben
17th January 2006, 04:08 PM
Three's Customer Services strikes again!

Try emailing your dilemma to [email protected]

jbab
18th January 2006, 07:48 AM
Three's Customer Services strikes again!

Try emailing your dilemma to [email protected]
Might as well give it a go:) thanks:D

whatleydude
18th January 2006, 09:06 AM
Good luck man - if you've paid for your phone and your contract its your right to do what you want with your phone!
They should get the code for you..

jbab
18th January 2006, 06:41 PM
Good luck man - if you've paid for your phone and your contract its your right to do what you want with your phone!
They should get the code for you..
:mad: contacted them:mad:
Got a reply :mad:
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email regarding your Nokia handset.

I have tried to contact you by phone to discuss this with you personally, but unfortunately, I have not been able to reach you.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience that you have experienced regarding your Nokia handset. I hope that I can restore your confidence in 3 and clarify matters for you.

As Nokia have not yet provided us with unlock codes for this handset, we aren't able to arrange for your handset to be unlocked. We are currently in negotiations with Nokia to obtain these codes and we hope to have them soon.

I regret that I am unable to assist you on this occasion.

If you have any further queries, please contact Customer Services on 08707 330 333 (calls charged at National Rate).

Once again thank you for contacting 3.

Yours sincerely,

Robert Connor
3 Customer Services
08707 330 333
Welcome to our Network
www.three.co.uk

cyberkid999
18th January 2006, 07:34 PM
Is it not an Offcom rule that they should unlock the phones at a reasonable cost.
Has anybody involved them or asked for their advice.... I know people who have paid Three their unlocking fees and had them refunded as they could not get the codes.

Ben
19th January 2006, 02:25 AM
Indeed, it's very bizzare, how the hell can they sell locked handets without any means of unlocking them?

jbab
19th January 2006, 07:52 AM
3's own sotware 3lock them not nokia 3lost the keys:rolleyes:

whatleydude
19th January 2006, 09:45 AM
Cyberkid makes a good point.

cyberkid999
20th January 2006, 05:53 PM
Cyberkid makes a good point.

I have made a complaint to Offcom so we will see what they say....

jbab
20th January 2006, 08:49 PM
I have made a complaint to Offcom so we will see what they say....
:D lets hope its good news:D
Chears ppl:D