View Full Version : Memory Card

Dom3G
20th November 2005, 12:49 PM
I have a Nokia N70 and want to use my 256mb memory card, but when you remove the nokia memory card supplied with the phone, I lose apps such as opera as they have obviously been installed to the card. The same happens with my N90, all the office apps are lost.

Is there a way to copy the installed apps to my 256mb card or move the installed apps to the phone?

Ben
20th November 2005, 03:02 PM
Do you have a card reader? My card reader cost about £10 from mobymemory - I just copied the entire contents of the Nokia-supplied card to my own one and it all worked thuper.

If you don't have a card reader and/or don't want one, I'd still suggest finding someone else who does - it's by far the easiest way of doing it. You can probably copy the contents of the memory card via Explorer on your PC while the phone is connected by USB, but I'm not so sure about that.

Dom3G
20th November 2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks Ben. I do have a card reader so i'll give it a whirl. Do you literally just select everything and then copy and paste or is there a particular way to do it?

Hands0n
20th November 2005, 03:28 PM
Nope, just use Windows File Explorer to do a copy everything from the root directory of the card to the new card. Or, if you don't have dual slots on the reader copy the entire contents to a directory on your hard drive, swap card over, and then copy everything back to the new memory card.

gorilla
5th December 2005, 10:46 AM
Looks like 1GB MMCmobile cards are on there way. Moby Memory (http://forums.mobymemory.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=55&MessageID=3748)have posted they expect to get a shipment by the end of the week.

Should cost around £60. It's about bloomin' time!

whatleydude
6th December 2005, 07:39 AM
Brilliant..

*Goes and gets christmas list and a pen*

:)

damiancutts
11th December 2005, 11:04 AM
http://www.datakits.co.uk/store/product_info.php/cPath/29_155/products_id/1030?osCsid=8905c9100de79b111e0a7b57eeae35d8

check out the above address for you 1gb menory card

aidey6
15th December 2005, 01:46 PM
What are you people storing on your 1gig cards?

Hands0n
15th December 2005, 07:36 PM
Pron, if you ask me :D

whatleydude
16th December 2005, 08:48 AM
So far I've got about 200 mp3s..

and..

(thanks to a lovely piece of software called DVD2Nokia)

Shaun of the Dead & Deep Blue See..
As well as a couple of episodes of Pheonix Nights..

EDIT:

BTW - I think I mentioned this in another thread but I'll say it again..

You can pick these up for around £40ish on ebay if you're careful.

I bought four and the cheapest I managed to snag one was for £38 inc P&P!
So yeah - keep an eye on ebay.

Hands0n
16th December 2005, 09:04 AM
2GB RS-MMC :eek: seems to be the next size coming our way if what I read is right! Already 2GB can be had on SD and [full size] MMC.

It does seem that a straight doubling of capacity is in order for each new version of the memory. So, this time next year we might have 4GB memory cards available :cool:

It is incredible to see how cheap even 512MBytes is these days. I have very clear memories of HDDs costing £100 per 1MB and of solid state memory (core) being a vast 16KBytes and costing several £1,000's. How much changes in less than 1/4 a century :)

Not seen DVD2Nokia, where is it from? I have been playing around with Mpegable which works well, but a bit clunky at times, and odd results occasionally that mean a non-standard 3gp file that wont plant on handsets .

whatleydude
16th December 2005, 09:20 AM
I'm not sure where exactly it (dvd2nokia) is from but I think I downloaded it from http://www.dotsis.com/vb

( or google it? - failing that - PM me and maybe I can throw it your direction )

I'm not sure - I've got so much stuff for my phone now its just silly.

But its quite good..
You install a bit of software on your PC and on your Phone.
Pop a DVD into your PC.
Wait for the software to compress it into a nice little avi file, (around 1mb per minute of movie - so therefore a 90min film will take up 90mb on your card!)
Then you save the avi, put it onto your card and select 'DVD Player' in your phone.. and Voila!
Instant Mobile Moooooveeees!

..and 2GB cards eh?
Wow.

Well - I reckon this 1GB card that I've got is gonna be the last DV RS-MMC that I'm going to get if Nokia are making that move over to Mini-SD.

Hands0n
16th December 2005, 12:47 PM
Becareful with the terminology, I got caught out with that one!

MiniSD is different to MicroSD/Transflash - the latter is what Nokia are moving over to (iirc). The prices for 512MB of MicroSD/Transflash are currently around the £35 mark, cheaper can be found. So it is reasonable to presume that 1GB MicroSD/Transflash (and MiniSD for that mattter) will be similarly priced to MMC/DV-RS-MMC and other formats like MemoryStick Pro/Duo etc.

Not sure I actually want quite so much stuff on my phone but .... seeing as I've recently ordered myself a Sony Ericsson W900i I reckon that it would be possible for me to fill it up with MP3 stuff quite quickly! And thats without trying to pop any 3gp movies on to the thing - can I really watch Blade Trinity on the small screen?! :eek:

whatleydude
16th December 2005, 02:24 PM
I normally keep a film or two on there just to show off..

But recently I had to go to Northampton and the trains were screwed -

Watching The Incredibles on my phone made the 'replacement bus service' a little more bearable..!