View Full Version : New 3 TV = less channels + costs more!!

3GScottishUser
21st November 2005, 10:27 PM
Just saw that 3 have replaced the mobi-TV offering with one of their own.

It's pretty poor, VidZone, our great 24/7 music video TV channel MTV Shows, such as Newlyweds and Punk’d and more
Keep all the family entertained on the move with the best of Nickelodeon Plus, coming soon the best comedy from Paramount.

That 4 channel line up costs £5 a month rising to £10 a month in January 2006! Worse news is that you can only view for 20 minutes then have to reconnect. I'd be amazed if 3 UK's network managed to deliver 20 minutes without interruption! Needless to say 3's mobile Tv is only available on selected handsets.

Here's the small print just in case anyone is tempted: *TV Channels are subject to a viewing limit of twenty minute sessions before services is interrupted. Service can then be resumed immediatley and as many times as requested. ** Promotional price until 01/01/06 after which the price will be £10 per month from 01/01/06. 3 plan to increase the number of TV channels included in the add-on.

Excludes Adult channels, all MobiTV channels, TV series passes, live event coverage and individual clips from TV shows (ie 'Lost').

TV channels and the TV add-on are are only suitable for handsets that support live streaming. Handsets excluded (which don't support live streaming) are the LG8110, Nokia 7600, NEC606 and 808.

http://www.three.co.uk/explore/howmuch/addons/adddetail05.omp?cid=1131124202511

Hands0n
21st November 2005, 11:52 PM
This is hardly competitive with Vodafone's TV offering! At twice the price one would anticipate at least twice that of the competition.What are 3 playing at? Whomever their marketing director is, he or she deserves a visit to the local Jobcentre!

3GScottishUser
22nd November 2005, 12:02 AM
Yep - One step forward with a brief mobi-TV offering, now two steps back with a miserable four channel selection at the same cost as Vodafone's 10 channel deal and they let you try 21 channels until February for free. In January 3 increase the price by 100% and you have to keep reconnecting after 20 minutes.... a joke!!!

Looking at what 3 have been up to lately, the UK subsiduary seems to have completely lost the plot (perhaps they are more in touch with their own imaginary planet).

Hands0n
22nd November 2005, 12:12 AM
It is really a crying shame. Their network services are rock solid where we are (South East) and so there is little to complain of in that respect. But if their content provision is going to be so hit and miss they really will fall foul of the customers who want it and find it elsewhere at better quality, consistency and price!

3 really deserve better and more from their management than this!

Ben
22nd November 2005, 10:42 AM
I'm not quite sure why they're offering two different mobile TV services :S That's just silly. They've obviously taken quite a liking to the Vodafone way of doing things, and I'd imagine MobiTV's days are numbered as many of us predicted. Having a separate application for streaming mobile TV on top of the default for streaming video could only possibly have worked if the application had been top notch.

Still, it's not necessarily a bad thing - I'll be very interested to see how it develops, especially once Sky's exclusive Vodafone deal ends.

3GScottishUser
22nd November 2005, 11:02 AM
I wonder why Channel 4 have not provided their service as they seem keen to get on all platforms right now. Their line up of Ch4, E4 and More 4 could have been a good additional offering.