View Full Version : ITV Streaming on 3 at 75p/min!!!

3GScottishUser
23rd November 2005, 05:42 PM
From c21media (23/11/2005):

The UK's biggest commercial broadcaster, ITV, has struck its first major mobile video deal – a long-term agreement with Hutchison-owned 3 that will see live streaming of some of its flagship programmes.

Beginning with the present series of I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here, subscribers to the 3 service will have access to live 24-hour coverage of events in the reality show's Australian jungle setting.

Coronation Street and Emmerdale, ITV1's leading soap operas, are also being primed for inclusion, allowing fans who happen to be away from home at the time of broadcast to tune in via their mobiles.

ITV is currently reviewing plans for making other programmes available in the same way, with the company expected to accelerate its mobile strategy next year.

The deal struck with 3 means that the mobile network's 3.2 million UK subscribers will instantly have ITV content presented to them when accessing its video menu. Those wishing to tune into ITV programmes in this way will be charged 75p per minute.

The arrangement with 3 is a one-year contract but it is non-exclusive and the broadcaster is also making shows available in the same way via its own ITV Mobile portal, available via other networks operators.

As far as ITV chief executive Charles Allen is concerned, however, the 3 deal is a significant step forwards. He said: "This agreement with 3, the first deal we have signed of its type, allows us to talk directly to the company's 3.2 million customers, and generates revenues from 3G-enhanced extras like streamed video and clips."

Allen said the company was committed to delivering more of its content to viewers on their mobiles and online, although like terrestrial competitors Channel 4 and Five, it is still restricted in the programmes it can make available in this way.

All three broadcasters are anxiously awaiting a review from UK media regulator Ofcom that will decide the extent to which they have rights to exploit programmes produced for them by external suppliers.

The issue is also key to mobile network operators such as 3, which are desperate for the kind of content that will drive consumer take-up and help them recoup the billions of pounds they have invested in third-generation licences.

"ITV and 3 share the belief that TV will be a major driver of growth in 3G usage," said 3 UK chief executive Bob Fuller. "The mobile phone is a natural extension of the television set and provides broadcasters with the potential to extend their terrestrial audiences and reach viewers on the move. The mobile will never replace traditional television but it will enhance it."

http://www.c21media.net/news/detail.asp?area=4&article=27678

Ben
24th November 2005, 01:09 AM
I'd rather stand outside my local Dixons, thank you very much :)

Hands0n
24th November 2005, 09:08 AM
They've lost the plot completely! Where in this great nation of our is anyone more than 10' away from a television set of some description or the other? Especially when travelling (hotels, pubs, clubs duh 3!) where TVs are in abundance.

Cheap calls and excellent monthly contract bundles is where 3 is at. If they want to be something else, they sure are not going to be doing it at 75p per minute! That price is very much going to keep mobile TV on 3 as a niche product. Perhaps what they really intend behind the scenes.

3GScottishUser
24th November 2005, 06:11 PM
One can see the appeal of those little casio and Citizen LCD TV's now!

Hands0n
24th November 2005, 07:41 PM
I've even still got my old Sinclair flat screen TV. Anyone remember those?

On topic: But I suppose that is precisely what most of us would do if we really desperately wanted to watch TV while on the move. True, the signal is always of [highly] variable quality - but it is watchable nonetheless. Moreso than MobiTV ever has been!

In such light, Mobile Phone TV has quite a way to go to truly compete against mainstream TV sources. The appeal will of course be the integration of such functionality into the device that we carry around as a matter of course, rather than stuff yet another item into the handbag/pocket! But how could any of this ever compete against what we have regarded as "free" TV since birth. Will we really be prepared to pay 75per minute to do no better? Will we even be prepared to pay 10p per minute, or 5p or .......?

I reckon that the mobile ops will have an uphill struggle with this if they do not get the pricing model right. It will not be enough for them to hope that we have all forgotten those little Casio's and the like which are still very readily available for around the same cost as a few months contract rental :) (i.e. http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index.asp?modelcode=CSO-EV680 )

fozzie
27th November 2005, 12:19 AM
Aye Ben stand outside your local Dixons BUT they are not supposed to transmit ITV programming as it advertises companies like Euronics & Comet .... am just being fussy thats all .... I certainly wont be watching TV on my mobile as I like have good eyesight & I pay for a TV license too.

I wonder if the BBC/government starts transmitting they will ask people for a license fee if they own a phone & not a TV.

Hands0n
27th November 2005, 01:12 AM
The licence fee is for any apparatus capable of receiving a Television Broadcast transmission (my loose interpretation of the precise wording).

Delivery via 3G to a mobile phone handset is certainly a new paradigm for the TV licence. The provisions for which probably encompass through suitably vague reference to "receiving apparatus", also any court in the land's judgement to support that provision. Which is why you need a licence for a VCR even though you are not capable of watching a TV broadcast on the VCR! That attempted loophole was tested through the courts very many years ago.

Taking fozzie's closing thought - I wonder then if we will [eventually] have to fill in a TV Licencing form each time we buy a 3G Video-capable mobile phone, rather like we have to now when buying a TV, VCR or DVD Recorder!

Edit: A handy reference site might be --> http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp No mention of Video Mobile handsets on there ............. yet!