View Full Version : The 3 'G's of mobile data

Hands0n
27th November 2005, 11:22 PM
Certainly, the current state of mobile data is that of an exclusive club of very select members, when taken in context with the number of mobile users in the UK. This is in large part due to the extortionate charges that data access via mobile incurs. The linked article (below) make for some interesting reading.

I like, especially, the bit that reads "If 3G operators want to see a return on their investment, then they must get the mass market going as soon as possible. There is no niche market on earth big enough to repay the debt, let alone make anyone some money -- it has to be popular, which means it has to be cheap. And the idea of selling expensive services in a restricted environment is similarly flawed: as wired broadband providers have found, this is not the reason people want to be connected. " A point that I am particularly attuned to. To date, the mobile operators seem to have not grasped this particular nettle and the longer they wait (or play games with us) the more likely that something else will sneak up past them.

Get easier, Go more places, Grab less money

We've just completed our first test of 3G data cards -- one each from every network offering such a service, and you can read our findings here. In brief: they work, mostly. They're useful, certainly. But they're nowhere near good enough and the service costs far too much. Not good news for the networks that have sunk tens of billions of pounds in licence fees and infrastructure.

Read the full article here --> http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/other/0,39020682,39174748,00.htm

Ben
28th November 2005, 12:27 AM
You have to laugh...

"The O2 card also struggled with this test. The laptop speakers broadcast a regular buzzing noise -- and long experience with the Vodafone card has taught us that this indicated the card is struggling."

...not struggling, probably just on GSM900 :)

Very truthful review though. The O2 card did better than I thought it would. The Orange card did disgracefully by the looks of things, but then we all knew it was a dud. It seems clear that Vodafone's choice of manufacturer gave it a big advantage.

Hands0n
28th November 2005, 09:01 AM
Yes, I have no direct experience of any of the other data cards but Vodafone's does operate with superb efficiency, even on GSM900. That is, I contend, that the Vodafone data card is the one of choice for the corporate market. The IT teams love it because it works as simply as possible, and that means less support needed for their in-house clients.

Forum and other reports on the Orange card suggest that all is not quite well there and they need to get a grip.

But generally, in terms of mobile data access - data cards notwithstanding - the underlying and significant issue of charges will not go away. And that is going to limit data-centric applications from becoming the norm. Unless the mobile ops are going to construct an entirely artificial but amazingly complex tariff structure. But they wouldn't do that ....................... would they :rolleyes: