View Full Version : How Covered are You?

Ben
9th April 2005, 04:32 PM
In real terms, it'd be interested to hear how covered you are by 3G signal.

By covered, I mean you have good usable 3G signal and you're capable of using all of 3G's services and features while in it. Just pick the percentage that closest matches how much of your mobile usage is in a good 3G service area.

How does your actual coverage compare with your networks predictions? Coverage lists can be found here (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=142).

If you have any specific comments, post about them below!

Cheers,
Ben

3GScottishUser
9th April 2005, 05:05 PM
Signal on 3 has never been an issue for me, its consitancy has always been the real problem. Calls still fail and drop when in what has perviously been a very good area in terms of signal strength. I have started calls with a full 3G signal only to have them drop with the familiar three beeb warning. The network has improved but my experience now is about 25% failure rate on a good day and up to 50% failure is common.

Compared with GSM 3's implemenation of UMTS is nowhere near as relaible yet. Perhaps it may improve.

Ben
9th April 2005, 08:56 PM
Well, hopefully (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=170), my 3G coverage will be improving some in the not too distant future. It'd be a welcome improvement too, especially after my grumbles at Orange regarding the coverage generally down here. Bit of a shock to the system after being in the Midlands :D

At the moment though I get usable signal for 3G about 25% of the time. Basically, when I go upstairs or when I'm in the town centre!

delinquentwoody
9th April 2005, 09:57 PM
Well I've no grumbles about the coverage here (on 3), although like 3GSU says it does seem to randomly fluctuate every so often.

The only thing I would grumble about is that only 3 and Orange have established 3G coverage in my city, none of the other providers have it planned for the next year, and so this somewhat limits my choice when it comes to choosing a network.

Hands0n
9th April 2005, 11:33 PM
I voted 100% but in truth that is not the case, but it is certainly much better than 75% though. I live and work in North Kent and have travelled over large areas of Kent without any problem accessing H3's services (3G or MMO2's 2.5G). Life on the network with an e1000 is far better than it was with my old e606 which, interestingly enough, worked very well indeed seeing as it does not flip to 2.5g with a Threepay USIM and so my assessment of 3G coverage would have been more discriminating than it is now that I went onto contract.

3g-g
10th April 2005, 06:42 PM
My 3G coverage as been consistently good, quite possibly because the majority of sites I visit are 3G ebabled! So I'd say 90% of the time I'm within UMTS areas, only when I'm out in the sticks am I outwith 3G.. although this could change in the future with the introduction of EDGE... ;)

Ben
10th April 2005, 06:58 PM
You just said a magical word :P Are Orange upgrading GPRS to EDGE?

3g-g
10th April 2005, 07:14 PM
You just said a magical word :P Are Orange upgrading GPRS to EDGE?

I dunno... honest guv'nor :D