View Full Version : Dummy model - first impressions

Ben
29th November 2005, 09:24 PM
...yep, played with the dummy model in the Vodafone shop today just to get a feel for the phone. The selection of 9 or so 3G handsets on sale in the store all looked pretty great, but at first I wasn't sure if the V3x was there as it looked no different to any of the others.

When I did spot the V3x my immediate thought was "what the hell was all the fuss about?". Ok, it's thinner than even the little Samsung Z500, but not by much! It's also bigger in almost every other direction. The keypad is still pretty horrible a la V3 and there definitely wasn't the 'special' feeling I'd expected after Moto's claims of 30% market share when we emerge from the other side of Christmas.

Big, and tacky feeling. My immediate reaction is 'you can already do better'. However, I'm not exactly a Motorola fan, so I really look forward to reading your own comments on the handset, especially if you play with a live one or buy it.

Hands0n
30th November 2005, 07:39 PM
I must admit that the V3x was on my shortlist of "Next Handset for Hands0n" but fell off after I had a quick play with a V3 of the 2G stylee. I hated the keypad almost immediately. There was nothing redeeming about it in that respect and as that was the primary MMI for the machine I really did not want to go much further with it, regardless of what other enhancements/developments it contained. But I fully accept that this is entirely a personal thing and that the V3 has been something of a success for Motorola which they are hopeful will repeat in the 3G scene. I wish them well with it, but it really is not for me.

joffa81
1st December 2005, 12:58 PM
i am after a v3x on upgrade to replace my v975 but it seems to be some confusion at three about these phones as my local 3 point doesent even know that the phone exist and keeps insisting that im on about the lgu880 as they knows nothing about any motorola razr styled phone comming out.
on phoning 3 upgrades they sed that the phone is not due out till mid december (christmas week at the earliest) and could even be january before it is available through three direct and they also sed keep watching the website for a release date which state that it is still comming soon but it seems that people can get hold of these handsets but how if three dont knows its out themselves ????

Hands0n
1st December 2005, 01:39 PM
It is possible that they are available on SIM-free deals. Vodafone have the V3x due out in December also, same as 3. The delays are likely to be with getting the handsets branded to the particular network provider. 3 do like theirs quite heavily branded, as does Vodafone traditionally. Motorola handsets seem to brand rather well, or at least as FLEXible (sic) to allow quite high degrees of branding errrr I mean customisation .... errrr I mean branding ..... :) which normally means some degree of crippling of the baseline functionality to protect the network providers revenue streams (i.e. not allowing you to load MP3 ringtones unless they are paid for and downloaded from their portal, something seen of late).

The best thing is to keep watching, waiting and pestering the shops. They really don't know for sure and offer vague dates like 27th December to get you out of their shop so they can sell to someone who wants a handset/contract immediately. Cynical? Moi?? Surely not :D

Chewy
1st December 2005, 05:36 PM
I see you can get the v3x on the 3 website now.

Weird tho, if you look at "handsets" it still shows it as 'coming soon' and price TBC. But if you click on "shop" it's listed on there.

You can get it FREE but only seem to be able to select the "Video, Talk & Text 700" 18month contract (with double messages for 6 months)....