View Full Version : Nokia 3G business binge, 3 new handsets.

Ben
2nd December 2005, 10:35 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/01/nokia_3g_threesome/

"The 110g Nokia 6233 candybar phone sports a 2mp camera viewed through the handset's 320 x 240 display. It's based on Nokia's Series 40 UI, and provides all the usual messaging and content services you'd expect from a 3G phone. It also has stereo speakers backed by a 3D sound engine. The phone supports hot-swappable MicroSD memory cards.

Nokia claimed the 6233 provides over four hours' talk time using a GSM connection and over three hours on a 3G W-CDMA link. It offers two weeks' standby time.

The 6233 is due to ship in Q2 2006 at €325 before taxes and operator subsidies. In Q1 2006, Nokia will ship the 6234, a Vodafone-centric version on the 6233.

Nokia also unveiled today the 6282, a 3G UMTS slider-phone with a 2.2in 320 x 240 colour display and a 1mp camera. Like the 6233/6234, the 6282 uses MicroSD cards for memory expansion and allows you to remove and add them while the phone's up and running. It too is based on Nokia's Series 40 UI.

All three handsets support Bluetooth connectivity, incorporate an FM radio, and support both MP3 and AAC ringtones.

The 6282 is due to ship Q1 2006. Nokia did not provide pricing information."

So there we have it. Phones surely designed to get business voice traffic moving over WCDMA networks. I'd imagine the Vodafone branded model gives light to Voda's future strategy for moving business over to 3G.

Yssybyl
2nd December 2005, 11:42 AM
The 6282 is purely designed for the Americas [as stated in the Nokia press release], but will it take off when compared to the s60 based N80 (available worldwide about the same time...)

Is it just me or are these the poor relations of the N70 and N80?

Ben
2nd December 2005, 12:31 PM
I guess a lot of S40 devices could be described as the poor relations when compared to the S60 ones, especially Nokia's flagship NSeries. However, it wouldn't make sense to put so much time and effort into developing the high-end flagship models if derivatives of them didn't then appear in cheaper, lower spec handsets. A bit like cars really!

I'm sure Vodafone will have much success with their branded version of the Nokia given that the majority of end-users in Business wont get a choice what handset they have :)