View Full Version : W900i Arrives - First Impressions

Ben
2nd December 2005, 05:49 PM
Well, it's here, and it has to be the most curious phone that I have ever come across to date. Whether curious amounts to be a good or bad thing I'll leave to you to decide.

First off, the packaging. Wow. Encased in a plastic shell, the W900i and headset were positioned inside for ultimate drool appeal. I'd challenge anyone to gaze their eyes across the precision packaged Walkman in its casing and not proclaim 'Wow!" It gets the user experience off to a good start to be sure, but Sony Ericsson have other plans for ensuring a smooth start.

On first turning on the handset I was greeted by a wizard that set up basics such as the language and time and then went on to give me a brief tutorial on how to use the phones key features. Very reassuring given the amount squeezed into this black and shiney piece of delicious design, large as it may be. I also immediately noticed the weight of the thing - or lack of it. Considering the size of the handset it feels very light indeed.

Ahh, the opening mechanism. Firstly I can only imagine how disappointed S700i users were that their phone did not have a similar assisted opening mechanism to the W900i. It's clumsy enough to open the thing without having to do all the work yourself. I certainly hope I warm to the opening mechanism more than I have thus far, but all I can say for the moment is that it's fiddly, but usable.

Now the camera - that's impressive. Pushing and holding the camera button brings up the camera in fullscreen landscape mode, like it should be. The massive and vivid screen makes the viewfinder. The softkeys become options buttons, giving access to a huge array of digital camera functions while still in landscape mode. The lock slider switch (love this, very easy way to lock the keypad!) on the side of the phone becomes a switch for turning the light on and off and the directional pad becomes zoom and brightness. Like any good digital camera, autofocus can be frozen by slightly pushing the shutter button. Pushing it all the way takes the picture. A very nice setup indeed, and very easy to use.

Another commendable area is the Walkman. Again, pushing and holding the Walkman button launches you into the application, and it'll keep playing your music regardless of what else you decide to do on the phone (Nokia's really SUCK at that part). Mega Bass is absolutely fantastic (as are the supplied headphones) and the inline remote, though appallingly basic, does what it should. The supplied headphones are also fantastic and I was quite honestly blown away by the sound quality.

Games. Wow! The W900i has a dedicated graphics chip from nVidia, the GoForce if I'm not mistaken, that allows the phone to display beautiful 3D games. I'm not much of a gamer myself, but the silky smooth 3D worlds impressed me somewhat!

Vodafone live appears to work without any problems on the handset after downloading the V600 settings for GPRS and MMS. The WAP settings (a la W800i) don't appear to work, but luckily the V600's did. Vodafone TV works in glorious widescreen (without having to reconnect as on the Nokia) and the handsets built-in speaker is acceptable, but not great, for listening.

Signal wise, The Sony Ericsson W900i holds on very well. It appears far more optimistic than my Z1010 is. The OS is also smooth and quick, and you'll be glad to know the phone has full-blown web access - albeit noframes from what I can see so far :S

Impressively, the W900i prompts you once in a while (once a month or on startup... or not at all, up to you) to check for a software update. The prospect of OTA firmware updates is absolutely brilliant. Obviously mine detects no newer versions of the software at this time, but it's a truly great feature provided it works when the time comes.

If the phone were the depth of the top section (containing the screen) then this would be revolutionary. However, as it is, given the depth of the device, it's more of a concept at this moment in time. It's a little like a supercar - bloody gorgeous and exciting but probably not all that practical.

Ben
2nd December 2005, 06:07 PM
Here's a couple of quick, grubby shots. More to follow in the full review.

Hands0n
2nd December 2005, 07:22 PM
Well, thats my daughter completely hooked and her dad is gonna have to pull the belt in a bit tighter this Christmas or face the grumpiest little tart on the planet! Vodafone better bring this out quick-like or there'll be a burnin in the town square. :D

@NickyColman
2nd December 2005, 09:02 PM
WOAH! i remember being impressed with the S700i when that came out but this one just looks like is came straight from Japan!!!

rasheedn
4th December 2005, 04:03 PM
i've found it on voda and o2 on mobileshop.com
but i want to get it on 3 as they seem to have better offers!!

does any1 know if its gonna be out on 3 before xmas?
thanks

oh and i am new here
got s700 and love it!! its an amazing phone!! i've had it for more than a year! and its gone through a lot!! drove over it in a gokart, threw it at ppl! fell in some water! fell from me about 1000 times! if u look a it u might think its a different phone hehe

anyways...

Hands0n
4th December 2005, 04:20 PM
Hello rasheedn, welcome to Talk3G. We hope you enjoy the forum and all of our contributions.

The SE W900i is not listed anywhere on 3's website. I have not heard of the handset being available on 3 yet, but it would be surprising if it did not make an appearance given that 3 have some fairly good music content and are aiming to be a "media company" in the future. But before Christmas 2005? It does not seem likely.

The W900i would appear to be an excellent grandstand for them to deliver their content over and I know that our Admin (Ben) has been raving about the sound quality of the audio player, very Sony.

The best thing to do is keep a close watch on 3's website - keep an eye on their "Company Site" news ( http://www.three.co.uk/news/index.omp?newsIndex=11 ) also as some early information can appear on there before the general consumer site.

Hands0n
4th December 2005, 04:25 PM
@rasheedn - I just did a quick google and came up with this astonishing offer http://www.phones2udirect.co.uk/Products/type/phones/ProductID/6480/NetworkID/Sony-Ericsson-W900i.asp - I cannot vouch for the company (so some forum reading here and anywhere else for opinions on them). They are offering the W900i on Three's Online 675 contract at £20 a month but they do say that they are awaiting a launch date.

That would appear to be a clear indication that the W900i is indeed going to make an appearance on Three, but not telling us when!

rasheedn
4th December 2005, 05:06 PM
thanks for the help

i can't wait 2 get my hands on it!!

been waiting for it since it was on their website about 5 months ago???

can't wait:)

Ben
4th December 2005, 05:12 PM
I don't think it was that long ago that it was announced. Unless I'm mistaken it was originally announced as something else, then given the Walkman treatment and re-announced.

I took some pictures last night at MoS in night mode. Woah. My friend's 5mpx Olympus digital camera couldn't do better :)

If you liked the S700i then I'm sure this'll blow you away, provided you can live without a lense cover. That said, the lense is covered by a piece of scratch-resistant flat plastic so it can be kept clean easily.

If only Sony Ericsson had used a decent material for the buttons - I've never felt such crappy plastic!

Ben
10th December 2005, 01:28 PM
Are there any other specifics that anyone would like covered?

I have to say, this thing has the same pickup-ability that the Z1010 had. I just can't leave the damn thing alone.

Hands0n
10th December 2005, 06:38 PM
So what's it like to use as a PHONE Ben? :D How is it to play with using the 3G Live! stuff? Vodafone's Video channels f'rinst? How are they on the handset? What's it like to use for MMS and SMS? How does it look in your pocket (ooooh errrr Mr, is that a gun or are you excited to see me.......). Can I use it with my lycra shorts - don't go there!!! :) Basically, how is it as a 3G handset?

Do tell :D