View Full Version : Vodafone Music Tracks

Ben
3rd December 2005, 12:33 PM
Hi Folks,

I'd assumed that Vodafone's DRM music tracks are tied to the Vodafone account. However, since changing handset, I have discovered that the tracks are tied to the handset itself. This means that when you upgrade you have to re-purchase any tracks you had on your old phone!

It's a very sore situation indeed. Be warned.

On the upside, the music quality of Vodafone's tracks on the SE W900i 3G Walkman is bloomin' fantastic!

Edit: I've decided to email Vodafone about it, see what they say - I've asked for a refund for tracks purchased on my old phone, not holding my breath but I'll be sure to post up the 'official company line' as it were.

whatleydude
3rd December 2005, 05:13 PM
They should be ok about it dude.

I remember when I had to get my 6630 replaced - they refunded my bill with all my purchased items so I could 're-purchase' them at my leisure..

Good luck.

Ben
4th December 2005, 05:17 PM
"Thank you for your mail regarding Full Music Track downloads.

Most if not all networks will send the DRM rights to activate a Music Track to the handset that downloaded the track in order for the sim card not to be entered into many other handsets to also benefit from the download. Vodafone work closely with Music companies who provide the songs and these are the terms that both companies must adhere to in order to have this service available."

"All downloads clearly have the cost next to them and the chances of user error are minimal. I have refunded £4 and suggest you download any tracks that you wish to.

This phone is not sold by Vodafone at the moment and should officially launch this month. Therefore you may see some error messages on the Vodafone Portal."

Happy :)

Hands0n
4th December 2005, 05:52 PM
A good result Ben, excellent :)

All downloads clearly have the cost next to them and the chances of user error are minimal.

WTF does all that mean :confused: I don't suppose for a moment that you were insinuating any "user error", that sounds like its right off some script or something.

The problem that you'd identified to them about the DRM is that it is locked to the specific handset (they acknowledge this earlier in their reply to you). That is fine, until the day comes that you upgrade, renew, replace your handset and the paid-for content is lost forever! Can anyone imagine if that were the case with CDs? Locked to the player you first loaded it into (gawd, I'd better not give those disdainful music companies ideas!!!).

I have refunded £4 and suggest you download any tracks that you wish to.
That is extremely practical and sensible of them to do this. But how many folk merely shrug their shoulders whistfully and download the tracks again to their new handset while paying [again] for the "privilege"?

This DRM stuff is right tricky and moreso with Mobile Phones than it would be with desktop or laptop computers the latter of which are typically kept longer. But the same applies, if the DRM is tied to the specific hardware then we're bound to repeatedly pay for tracks that we want to keep. If the music companies are going to do this to us, then they need to bring down the costs of downloading such DRM-locked tracks to mere pennies rather than the many tens-of that they currently cost.

Edit: NB: While this mini-rant :) is in a Vodafone thread the same DRM locking of content to a specific handset will apply with all of the other main mobile network providers and MVNOs that supply such content.

Ben
4th December 2005, 06:20 PM
It's a pickle to be sure. I'd also had a problem where, after purchasing a track-pack, any track selected is considered purchased without giving any confirmation - meaning I had paid for something I had no intention of downloading, hence the abstract comment (which I don't agree with, but he gave me my money back so quite franky I don't care).

I can only stress that the operator music services MUST NOT be used for purchasing large volumes of your music at this time. Wait until next year when more practical solutions surface and your money will not be spent in vain.

Until that time comes, I'll just download the odd track from Live! and, inconveniently, I'll have to burn Napster tracks to CD and rip them back again for the bulk of my usage. I greatly look forward to the day when I can drop tracks from Napster straight into the device - something I can already do but, as the DRM isn't compatible, it fails :)

whatleydude
5th December 2005, 07:51 AM
I no longer download tracks from Vodafone LIVE.
Instead I prefer to rip CDs onto my PC and then drag and drop them onto my MMC using PC Suite..