View Full Version : 3G trial

Jon3G
7th December 2005, 03:18 PM
Hi guys

I think I mentioned it sometime ago, but heard nothing from Orange until now

I have been asked to take part in a Orange 3G data trial called "Online Anywhere" The trial is all part of Orange and Wanadoo becoming one and providing a joint service.

I get the following as part of the trial

Orange 3G data card with detachable aerial
3G Usim with 200MB of free data per trial month
Wanadoo Livebox.

I will let you know how I get on

Please see the email (I have edited some sections)

Dear Online Anywhere Triallist

Your trial equipment has been dispatched today for delivery on Thursday to the delivery address you have provided. This trial will commence on Thursday 8th December for approximately 1 month.

Your trial equipment will include

Orange 3G data card with detachable aerial
3G Usim with 200MB of free data per trial month
Wanadoo Livebox
Trial quick start user guide (also attached on this email)

Please ensure you read all the information provided before attempting to install any software or activate your data card.

Please ensure you activate your data card Usim as soon as you receive your trial equipment, to do this contact the Online Anywhere Support line on *** from your Orange phone and selecting option 2. You will be asked to identify yourself by using an account username and password.

Your account username is - **********
Your password is - *******

You will need to confirm these when you call *** to activate your data card USIM or if you are calling with any query or issue relating to this Online Anywhere trial

The support line for this trial is open from 8 am until 12 midnight.

If you have any queries and issues regarding any aspect of this trial please do not hesitate to contact *** for help.

Many thanks
Orange Trials Team

whatleydude
7th December 2005, 04:03 PM
Cool - I'll be interested to see how this pans out..

Good luck!

Ben
7th December 2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks Jon, best of luck with it, keep us posted!

Jon3G
9th December 2005, 09:57 AM
Ok First impressions

Well I have already had a Orange 3G data card before through a business contact, but I had the older data card. The card I received yesterday is the "option Globetrotter Fusion 3G/GPRS/Wireless LAN Data Card b&g.

I also got the Wanadoo livebox, but I will not be using that as I already have a netgear product. However I wont be telling the trial team that!!!!:D

First I called the dedicated support number and requested to be registered. I was advised in my welcome pack that this team are the trial support team. Well I was shocked to learn that these guys or the one I spoke to knew nothing about 3G data. I got the impression that these were all new to the job. In the end I was registered, but I could tell the guy was reading from a script and this was demonstrated by the fact he told me to "hold on" while the script loaded!!!!!!!!!

To start I read the instructions correctly and followed them to the letter. I installed the software and then inserted the card. The lights started flashing like mad and everything seemed to be working, however I could not get a connection through Orange and the dam Orange software had taken control of my built in wireless card and I could not connect to the internet through my wireless router. So I uninstalled the software and built the connections myself.

I have tried using it at my office today and it works fine WITHOUT the Orange software installed. The wireless side of the card works a treat, but I prefer my Intel centrino 2200 adapter that I have built in.

I will do some speed tests later today and post them. Cant wait for my first call from the Orange trial team to tell that the support was rubbish and then Orange software is rubbish and I am using the card without it.

Hands0n
9th December 2005, 07:54 PM
Careful, you'll end up working for Orange 3G support team at this rate :D

3g-g
31st January 2006, 12:37 AM
Jon,

Just wondered if you were any further down the line with the trial you mentioned at the start of December, only reason being the post here: https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2085 that talks about Vodafone's future in terms of mobile/broadband/ISP convergence, it's definately going to be the buzz word over the next 18 months.

Vodafone is losing some of its power in partnerships as the pendulum of influence swings to operators with the networks to support fixed/mobile convergence, expected to be the basis of the most profitable business models in the coming years.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/30/vodafone_verizon/

We all know Wanadoo will become Orange later this year, and it seems, if the IT consultants are right, that they'll be 1st out of the blocks WRT to convergence. I think your views on what you've experienced would be very interesting reading to all of us, an extremely early, and possibly the first opinion of what "us users" can begin to expect towards the end of 2006.

Jon3G
11th February 2006, 12:33 PM
Sorry not posted in a while

Well the trial went ok until I had a bust with Wanadoo and refused to pay my subscription.

Orange were alerted to this, but because the trial was in its last week allowed me to finish.

The new card is very good and very stable. However I dont rate the Livebox that wanadoo supplied. The box is set to auto upgrade firmware and 3 times in one week it did and when this was taking place you could not do anything.

Orange CS was very good towards the end.

I have now been allowed to keep the card on the pay and use tariff

It also looks like the service is going live too

http://www.orange.co.uk/business/small/mobileemail/mobileofficecard.html

Ben
11th February 2006, 12:44 PM
Welcome back! Thanks for the update.

So what exactly is the livebox? A kind of router that accepts an Orange MOC for connectivity?

Glad to hear the Option card worked well for you - it's similar to the one Vodafone use (and always have) and is excellent. I was surprised to see the Office Max option costs exactly the same as Vodafone though :\ How uncompetitive!

Jon3G
11th February 2006, 06:59 PM
Its good to be back reading the comments of the users

The wanadoo livebox is the own branded wireless router. The boxs are made by Acatel and sometimes become very unstable

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/talkoffer/?cd_source=arthuradel&linkfrom=Today&link=3&article=TODinternet_access#