View Full Version : W900i Review - 10 days later...

Ben
12th December 2005, 11:30 PM
Well, it has been a good 10 days since I received my W900i, and the ride has been impressively smooth. Infact, the smoothness would probably convince these guys (http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/S/spacecadets/) that they've been blasted into space.

The handset is now in general retail, thanks to Vodafone offering their exclusive white version, and you can tell. I've had a good few SIM-Free handsets in excess of a month before launch, and all of them have had, what can I call them, 'peculiarities' that I've endured for the phones life. I have a 7210 to this day that crashes if I access the gallery using a certain path, but hey, I love the thing! The W900i, however, hasn't crashed once, has turned itself off once (though I have no idea why - someone else was playing with it at the time...) and has completed every task I have requested of it without complaint. Now come on folks, that's quite an achievement!

I've set my W900i to prompt me to check for updates when I switch it on. To date it hasn't found anything, which I'd expect, but I'll let you know when it does actually pick something up. Currently my firmware version is, erm, "R5AC011 prgCXC1250252_CHINA_SA" - yeah. As per usual, you access this menu via > *
Using the Walkman has been a real joy. Anyone who has tried to use their Nokia handset as an MP3 player, especially with the supplied headphones, will have found the quality disappointing and the phones ability to multitask pretty dismal. Well, this is certainly not the case with the W900i. You'll have to get used to brief pauses in your music to allow for message alerts etc to be played, and obviously to take calls, but texting, browsing and otherwise using the phone while you're listening to your favourite groove has been nothing short of perfection for me. I've set my own settings on the EQ and the result is audio perfect for my tastes. The loudspeaker is usable, and loud enough for me to listen to music while I'm in the shower. Well done Sony.

The Camera has also been an absolute joy. As a Sony Cybershot DSC-P200 user the W900i has a definite familiarity about it. The whole camera has to be used in landscape mode with the swivel folded away, basically looking like any reasonable compact camera. Snapping in normal mode is quick, but noise levels due to the inherent small lense in all cameraphones at the moment quickly adds to noise in low light. Night mode is superb, but you could find yourself waiting around five seconds for the capture to happen. If you're not good at fake smiles then you'd best get practicing! :)

So, there we have it really. Camera and Walkman all in one. This is a very impressive converged device. Add album art and a larger lense (not to mention optical zoom) and it'd be spot on. But wait a second, this thing is also a phone. Oh yeah!

In-call quality is lovely, can't fault that. I think it's actually a little better than the 6680 but that's really due to the positioning of the speaker on the 6680 being displaced by the camera. I've not had any complaints from the folk on the other end of the line about being able to here me, so I can assume that's all A OK. The phonebook is typical Sony Ericsson and very usable, quickly populating itself from Outlook without any fuss. Generally installation was pretty faultless, though I did need to restart before my PC would pick it up. I'm liking that I can plug in the USB cable and access both the phone memory and memory card as individual disk drives, but I'm not liking so much that I have to wait for the phone to restart in 'file transfer mode' before that can happen. One nice touch is being prompted whether you want the phone in music or phone mode when you turn it on - so you don't need to worry about firing this baby up on a plane.

Vodafone Live! works beautifully, though as this is now a released handset on Vodafone that is to be expected. Vodafone TV is absolutely exceptional. It works flawlessly. Unlike on the 6680 the W900i can switch to full screen mode without needing to stop playback, always nice, and tracks downloaded from Vodafone's music archive also play back well and sound convincing.

Other nice touches include showing the exact battery level in percent when you press one of the volume keys while the phone is showing the main screen. It also shows free memory and the date. Neat.

The one thing you're going to battle with if you buy this, though, is the opening mechanism. Boy is it lucky that you can use a good deal of the functionality without opening the thing. If you owned an S700i then I daresay you'll love it as the assisted opening is definitely a help, but if, like me, you're used to candybars then this'll be a challenge. For the first 7 or so days I ended up firing the thing out of my hands on several occaisions - there's a real knack to opening it up (it's now upside down) and 'tossing' it back to the right-way-up! It does, however, look incredibly cool when you pull it off ;)

I can also safely say that you'll all hate the buttons. The ones on the front all feel tacky with the only exception being the central play/pause key. The numeric keys are recessed too far and made out of the same naff materials used on the outer keys. Sony have always used weird materials (I had Aibo accessories made from vegetable plastics that actually melted when left in close proximity to a radiator one night...), but this is like the interior of a BMW 1 Series! I don't know what makes established manufacturers think they can use such plastics, but there we go.

That's all for the mo - more coming soon with some more live pictures. All in all I have to say that you wont be disappointed with this handset. It's an excellent 3G device, but it's not small!

Ben
16th December 2005, 11:13 PM
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me

I was wondering how you found the battery life of the w900? I am very happy with the phone, but the battery life so far has been terrible (compared with my old nokia 6610). I have had to charge it every night, and using the phone sucks the power out the battery. Does this happen with yours?

I am wondering whether to take it back tomorrow.

If you could let me know how you found the battery life, that would be really great
Hi kai666, welcome to Talk3G!

The first time I charged my W900i the battery life was terrible, but that's not unusual. Now I find that the phone can last up to 3 days, even with medium use of the walkman and the odd picture!

Some tips:
1) Don't charge the phone via USB. Did that once and it went flat so quickly it was unbelievable, plus it took ages to charge up!
2) Turn the phone off when you charge it. This isn't a must, but I find it helps.
3) Let the battery run out completely once in a while. The other times, try and keep the charge 'topped up' every night.

3G phones generally don't have battery life that can be compared to their 2G counterparts. That's the price we pay! You should, however, be able to get a days full use out of the phone at the very least and, for the vast majority of people, charging the phone overnight wont cause problems.

There certainly isn't a battery life issue specific to this phone. If you feel yours is particularly bad or if the battery life of 3G phones in general wont suit you then you may find it best to return the handset.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on!

getti
17th December 2005, 10:16 AM
My black W900 has just turned up. Installed and Live works fine. However can someone please provide the PAYG settings for Streaming?

Thanks

Ben
17th December 2005, 12:24 PM
Try the SE website or something... I think the V600 settings worked fine on mine, if they have PAYG settings for that then it should do the job.

Ally3g
17th December 2005, 01:01 PM
Yes the SE website would have the settings for all the phones.Usually put the phone number in and the settings are sent via sms.On my V600i the streaming setting is payt wap.I expect that would be the same on all phones on payt.Like mine.:)

graham
17th December 2005, 04:28 PM
I had had the phone for a week now and I think its great. I cannot fault it.

If I was going to be super critical then I would say that the Pc suite is not as good as the one that comes with Nokia handsets.

*gadget*
19th December 2005, 05:43 PM
Hi all, a few Q's

- is the w900i only available in White on Voda? if not where can i get black?
- What is the best deal at the mo for around £30 a month (currently on 02 Online £30 PM 200 min 500 sms)
- can you use Mp3s as tones or are there DRM issues as in other SE models

Hands0n
19th December 2005, 06:33 PM
Hi *gadget*, welcome to Talk3G.

The W900i is only available on contract from Vodafone at the moment, and then only in white. I understand that Voda have an exclusive on the W900i for the first three months! So it will be end Feb at the earliest before the other networks can release theirs.

If you want a Black one you can get it SIM-free from the likes of Mobilefun http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/8697.htm for £459 at today's price. The SIM-free prices will fall in due course, but it is a brand new phone and so commands a premium price right now.

There are no DRM issues regarding using MP3s as ringtones as far as I know. My kid has a W900i and is using her MP3 tracks as ringtones.

Deals on Vodafone for £30 a month is their Anytime 200 that has 200 mins + 500 SMS + Stop The Clock (STC) and free Vodafone TV (until end Jan 2006) on their 18-month contract. That is with the first 3 months half price rental and the W900i is £50. On a 12 month version of that same contract the handset is £80 and you lose STC and the cheapo first 3 months.

In case you don't know, STC is a brilliant deal from Voda. Between 7pm and 7am weekdays and all weekend; any call you make to UK Landline or Mobile is charged for the first 3 minutes only, the remaining 57 mins are free! And the minutes come out of your monthly allowance if you have any left. This is astonishing value for money if you call in the evenings and weekend.

Out of bundle, Vodafone are not the cheapest SMS and Voice Call folk, but then they're not the most expensive either - and all out-bundle costs tend to be quite high anyway.

Hope this answers your questions. Please do let us know what you finally go for and what your experiences are.

kai666
20th December 2005, 07:04 PM
Hi kai666, welcome to Talk3G!

The first time I charged my W900i the battery life was terrible, but that's not unusual. Now I find that the phone can last up to 3 days, even with medium use of the walkman and the odd picture!

Some tips:
1) Don't charge the phone via USB. Did that once and it went flat so quickly it was unbelievable, plus it took ages to charge up!
2) Turn the phone off when you charge it. This isn't a must, but I find it helps.
3) Let the battery run out completely once in a while. The other times, try and keep the charge 'topped up' every night.

3G phones generally don't have battery life that can be compared to their 2G counterparts. That's the price we pay! You should, however, be able to get a days full use out of the phone at the very least and, for the vast majority of people, charging the phone overnight wont cause problems.

There certainly isn't a battery life issue specific to this phone. If you feel yours is particularly bad or if the battery life of 3G phones in general wont suit you then you may find it best to return the handset.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on!

Thanks for your reply. I got the battery changed at vodafone, and switched off the 3g which is a bit of a battery killer. It's made all the difference. 24 hours later I'm still on the first charge. On my last battery I recharged after 4 hours!

Also according to the bloke in vodafone the moving backgrounds and screen savers zap the battery as they permenantly run in the background even when not visible on the screen

I will switch on 3g when I want to use it, just like I do with Bluetooth

I am happy with the phone now apart from the TV not working in the entertainment menu. But I guess i will get onto vodafone about that sometime unless anyone has any ideas

Hands0n
20th December 2005, 07:55 PM
TV is only available on "Live with 3G" - there isnt the bandwidth to carry the streaming video on 2G.

kai666
20th December 2005, 10:03 PM
I know TV is only on 3g. I was planning to switch the 3g back on for the TV. But tv is listed in the entertainment options of the phone, but when you click on it (in 3g mode) you get a 404 error screen. You have to go through the vodafone live main screen

Hands0n
20th December 2005, 10:17 PM
It works okay for me from that selection point. Could be the page is cached and corrupted on your Handset. Have you tried "Refresh"ing the page?

kai666
20th December 2005, 10:26 PM
refreshing didn't work. Is there a way of emptying the cache? still get the 404 error

Hands0n
20th December 2005, 10:33 PM
I cant see a specific way of cache clearning - had hoped that the refresh would have done the same thing!

Just asked Ben, our Admin and resident W900i expert and he says

menu, internet services, more, advanced, > to the next tab, clear cache

See how that goes.

Ben
20th December 2005, 10:38 PM
I know TV is only on 3g. I was planning to switch the 3g back on for the TV. But tv is listed in the entertainment options of the phone, but when you click on it (in 3g mode) you get a 404 error screen. You have to go through the vodafone live main screen
Works fine for me both ways, but if it works via the Main screen then enter that way and set a bookmark so you can hop right back to it.

kai666
20th December 2005, 10:54 PM
I cant see a specific way of cache clearning - had hoped that the refresh would have done the same thing!

Just asked Ben, our Admin and resident W900i expert and he says

See how that goes.

Nope, still no good, but thanks. Any other ideas?

Hands0n
20th December 2005, 10:57 PM
Well you could always call CS and tell them that two of your buddies have W900i and they work okay .... Its got to be something very straightforward. Otherwise it could be a full manufacturers reset is in order! Bit drastic, but is a final solution.

kai666
20th December 2005, 11:10 PM
i think thats what i will have to do, i will call cs tomorrow. thanks for your help

Hands0n
20th December 2005, 11:22 PM
You are very welcome. Please do let us know how you get on and what the solution turned out to be. We're always interested, and the info could help someone else later on.

kai666
21st December 2005, 06:44 PM
Just spoke to CS who said that they are aware of the problem, and it affects some, but but not all phones. They don't know why, and are working on it. And will replace the phone if it continues to bug me.

Also Ben, how do you set the phone to check for updates, which you mentioned in your review?

Hands0n
21st December 2005, 07:21 PM
Go for the replacement I say :) There could be other issues lurking within, waiting to strike at the right moment!

Ben
21st December 2005, 09:00 PM
Just spoke to CS who said that they are aware of the problem, and it affects some, but but not all phones. They don't know why, and are working on it. And will replace the phone if it continues to bug me.

Also Ben, how do you set the phone to check for updates, which you mentioned in your review?
Hey,

As your handset uses Vodafone firmware it might not be possible to receive over-the-air updates. Try the following, as on the generic version:

Go to Settings > General tab > Update Service > Search for Update

Let us know if you have it or not!

kai666
21st December 2005, 09:57 PM
Nope, not possible, does that mean that the firmware can't be updated on the vodafone version?

Hands0n
21st December 2005, 11:02 PM
I don't have the "UpdateService" on the General Settings and so I guess Vodafone have had it removed during their Branding exercise - I wonder what else they've got rid of. This must be a feature of the generic SE W900i - and we can expect all the mobops to brand this feature out or they would lose control of their firmware.

Firmware updates for the W900i will be available through the usual Vodafone service channel, but probably only in response to a specific problem always assuming that they and SE actually create a firmware update for it.

In due course I would expect the generic SE firmware to appear for the Unlockers and then you could get your own upgrade/debrand turning the W900i into a SE generic model - which can't be bad :-)

As soon as I know that Unlock and Debranding is available for the W900i I'll post it on Talk3G.

Ben
26th December 2005, 03:10 PM
Here's a macro snap I took on the W900i and I think it's a good example of the quality that can be produced from this phones 2mp camera if you can be bothered to play with the various modes. Autofocus still proves a bit of a mystery, it seems to focus on what it wants and it's a bit 'approximate', but better than nothing.

Ben
2nd January 2006, 06:10 PM
Got a sample video for you all. It's... of my TV... of the rather alarming new AOL advert! But hey, it's damn good quality IMHO. You'll need to turn your sound up though, I had the TV on too quiet :p

http://www.cbfmail.com/web/ben/MOV00001.3gp