View Full Version : Telsim Turkey acquired

3GScottishUser
13th December 2005, 08:25 PM
Vodafone Plc have acquired Telsim Turkey (2nd biggest Turkish GSM Network) in a multi-billion pound deal. It will be rebranded Vodafone.

This will provide UK cusotmers with another preferred network in a popular growing holiday destination to take advantage of cheaper roaming when subscribed to 'Passport'.

Full details of the deal at www.vodafone.com (Press releases)

Ben
13th December 2005, 09:16 PM
Wow, didn't see further Vodafone expansion on the cards. There we have it, another network falls to the big white speechmark on the big red sim card. *waves Sarin for World Domination banner*.

Thanks 3GSU :)

Hands0n
14th December 2005, 09:08 AM
I am impressed with Vodafone's acquisiton, and for a not too bad price either for a company (Telsim) that was heading towards receivership.

According to the report in the newspapers Turkey has the largest growing young population in Europe (even tho they are not exactly in Europe, yet). This appears to have inspired Sarin to go for the company which is reported to be in bad shape technologicaly and requiring some £1.6Bn to fix up.

This may well prove to be a significantly keen strategic move for Vodafone who have to compete with the primary Turkish operator (Turkcell) who have over 60% of the marketshare against Telsim's ~20%. So lots of margin for growth there.

If Vodafone get this right they'll be bringing in enough cash to engage in their Shares Buyback programme that they have alluded to also.

Not sure if I should be voting for "world domination" by Vodafone but in this case I'll make an exception :) Well done Sarin and Vodafone. I likes yer style (espesh as we're holidaying in Turkey in 2006! Best get Passport turned on when I get my new contract :D )

3GScottishUser
14th December 2005, 09:20 AM
I dont think we have seen the last of Vodafone's expansion. That little red quotation mark looks set to make an appearance in other developing markets. I expect Vodafone have a bit of tidying up to do re France and the USA as a priority and as opportunities arise they will take control of those companies that use the branding on a franchise basis (lots in Eastern europe).

Quite appropraite that Vodafone decided to acquire this network in 'Turkey' just in time for the festive season!

Vodafone - The McDonald's of the mobile world? - Beginning to look like it!