View Full Version : Would you commit to 3 for 18 months?

3GScottishUser
9th April 2005, 11:05 PM
Just wondered - would you be tempted to take out an 18 month contract with 3?

Cast your vote in the poll above and post relevent comments below.

Hands0n
9th April 2005, 11:45 PM
Just for the record - I would not commit to 18 months with *any* network. Period. I consider 18 months contracts an affront to Customer Choice and flexibility. If these networks cannot sell their services on merit they should get out of the business and let someone come in who can :)

Just my opinion fwiw, heh heh.

Ben
9th April 2005, 11:53 PM
I would also not commit to an 18 month contract with *any* network. I already consider 12 months of contract extremely excessive.

I think, considering Three's immaturity, it would be foolish to commit to them for 18 months.

chaslam
26th April 2005, 04:03 PM
I would also not commit to an 18 month contract with *any* network. I already consider 12 months of contract extremely excessive.

I think, considering Three's immaturity, it would be foolish to commit to them for 18 months.

Yes I agree with you Ben. I trhink 18 months is way to long for any network. If you are like me and get board of your phone after 6 months, then a 18 month contact will be hell for you! Its not that i wouldnt want to do it with three, its with any network.

Jon3G
26th April 2005, 05:00 PM
Again I agree with Ben 18 months is too much for any network. I love Orange and I will be going back in November when my time is up with Voda, but I would not commit to 18 months even with them

miffed
26th April 2005, 06:25 PM
I would ! (always one eh ? )

But to be honest , I don't feel I have "commited" to them for 12 months on the contracts I have had with them

I tend to take out contracts to obtain bargain handsets - if the numbers add up (cost of 12-18-24 months lr & the cost of the phone ) add up to less than the sim free cost of the phone in question , then I'll "commit" ! (not that I envisage Three ever launching a handset that'll tempt me now :mad:

I bet I'm not the only one to do this either

getti
26th April 2005, 06:26 PM
Yes I agree with you Ben. I trhink 18 months is way to long for any network. If you are like me and get board of your phone after 6 months, then a 18 month contact will be hell for you! Its not that i wouldnt want to do it with three, its with any network.

6 months? i seem to get a little bored after 3 :D

Although im hoping the 6680 will end that

@NickyColman
27th April 2005, 01:49 PM
Im affraid through past experience with contracts, i would NEVER commit to an 18 month contract! UNLESS it was a contract whereby you get a new handset every 6months if you give your old one back and it was a good value tarrif.

I have had 5 different 12 month contracts since January 04. And it was all down to handsets!

delinquentwoody
13th May 2005, 07:54 PM
I would never commit to 18 months with any network. I can't see what the benefits are - it's no cheaper, and you have to keep your handset longer.

I still maintain - this is something I've brought up before - that contracts should be shortened to 9 months, with an increased line rental!! Now i think that would be more appealing to a lot of people who like to keep up to date with the latest handset.

simax
15th May 2005, 11:51 PM
That's what Orange Premier is all about ;)

Simon

PS: If all the operators changed to 18 month contracts overnight, what would you do?

Hands0n
15th May 2005, 11:58 PM
If all the operators changed to 18 month contracts overnight, what would you do?

Go to PAYG and give up the idea of Contracts until/unless the ops saw sense again.

I do not have 18 month contracts for anything else that I have and I dont see myself starting with mobile phones.

Ben
16th May 2005, 12:55 AM
I'd also, grudgingly, go PAYG. I'm already increasingly frustrated by 12 month contracts.

O2 do a non-contracted post-pay SIM option, as has been mentioned, and if I were to take out a new number any time soon it's already highly likely that it'd be something like that.

Btw - Orange Premier contracts are still 12 months aren't they? OP is so missing something... it just doesn't have 'the edge'.

cyberkid999
20th August 2005, 03:50 PM
I would ! (always one eh ? )

But to be honest , I don't feel I have "commited" to them for 12 months on the contracts I have had with them

I tend to take out contracts to obtain bargain handsets - if the numbers add up (cost of 12-18-24 months lr & the cost of the phone ) add up to less than the sim free cost of the phone in question , then I'll "commit" ! (not that I envisage Three ever launching a handset that'll tempt me now :mad:

I bet I'm not the only one to do this either

I have almost finished my 1st Three 12 month contract and already taken out an 18 month one to get a 6630 for £9.99 per month and more recently another 6630 at only £2.99 per month (total cost for contarct and phone just£36) I have already sold the phone on eBay and I will hardly use the minutes but at those prices its hard to refuse - all profit from here.

Ben
24th August 2005, 02:48 AM
18 month contracts appear to be being readily accepted by consumers in ways I couldn't have imagined. Their success, though, has to be accredited to the networks heavy discounting of handsets and tariffs when new customers connect for 18 months. As cyberkid999 mentions, some of the 18 month deals mean the customer just can't lose right now.

On the other hand, it's great to see Vodafone also offering 30 day contracts like O2, with some great incentives for taking a contract without a handset. More like that, please!

simax
31st August 2005, 10:45 PM
I predict that by the end of next year, 18 month contracts will be the norm, and that you'll get a discount for taking a 24 month contract.

But then again, Orange and T-Mobile allow you to upgrade early (subject to fee), so what's the difference?

With Orange doing up to 25% off all tariffs (inc. OVP) for commiting to another minimum term, surely there's an incentive there?

Simon

PS: However, I would not commit to "3" for 18 seconds, let alone 18 months! Just horrible! LOL!