View Full Version : 3G Christmas: Reality or Myth?

Ben
27th December 2005, 02:02 PM
Since Three's Christmas strategy appeared to go out the window a few months ago, all talk of this 25th being a technological orgy of 3G devices has vanished. Glimmers of hope were offered by Vodafone's comprehensive Sky TV offerings and the fabled V3x, but tariffs and handset prices stood firm.

Excluding yourself, did any of your friends or family receive a 3G device this Christmas?

If nobody you know received a 3G device this Christmas, did anyone you know receive a 2G, GSM, device?

Perhaps everyone you know this year opted for sexier (http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodnano/) presents instead?

solo12002
27th December 2005, 06:25 PM
Ben

I have to say I brought the family some unlocked 3G mobiles, sorry to say Virgin 3G is not up and running in NI as yet, reason why I brought them soley was because thers no point buying any other type of mobile with most 3G networks up and running.

It may be that we will use 2.5G sim cards for a while longer

Ben
27th December 2005, 07:27 PM
Well, it's good to hear someone received something 3G this Christmas!

I bought my family 2G handsets - 6230i's to be precise - just because they were smaller and gave the most performance for my money. Had the 6280 been out I'd have considered that instead but, alas, it was a no-show :(

Hands0n
27th December 2005, 10:20 PM
I voted yes; the kid's SE W900i was an advance Christmas present which she is delighted with. A friend's lad has got a Nokia N70 in the run-up. But to be bang on topic the answer is rather a "No" as everyone I know got more traditional presents - the usual assortment of clothes, house/car items and a smattering of electronic gadgets, mainly mp3 players.

This season does not seem to have been the "3G Christmas" that the mobile ops suggested it would. Hardly surprising really, the smart and sexy handsets did not make an appearance until very late in December, if at all. Mobile ops take note, "Must try harder for 4Q/2006".