View Full Version : Dropped my LG 8120 into a pint of milk

steve9025
28th December 2005, 03:20 AM
Dropped my LG 8120 handset into a pint of milk and then it died. I was told it might dry out over a few days, leave a powdery residue, and come back to life. The keypad lights up and the screen did for a while (though much dimmer than usual) but now the screen doesn't light up at all.

lil help?

PS: 3 cheers (pun intended - contract phone :D) for LG whose battery in the 8120 must cover the SIM with a water-tight seal as it was dry as a bone.

Ben
28th December 2005, 03:29 AM
A glass of milk? Now that's creative! If only calcium were as good for our electronic friends as it is for us.

Do you have insurance? If not mobile phone insurance, is your phone covered under your contents insurance? It migfht be worth checking. Otherwise, or perhaps depending on your excess, the best course of action is to buy a new handset on PAYG and insert your existing, hopefully undamaged, USIM card into it. Infact, you could even treat yourself to an early upgrade :)

Keep us posted!

steve9025
29th December 2005, 07:49 AM
(apologies for speedy 8am writing)

Old sim works fine. See above with re. to water-tight seal.

When I first took out a 3 contract, I signed up for £10 per month insurance. I signed up for another 12-month contract this October, over the phone.

Do you think my insurance was likely to be the sort that keeps doing till *I* cancel it?

Will it probably have been a 12-month insurance contract?

I'll check with my bank.

Went into the Carphone Warehouse (before I typed my milky escapade message), and got a PAYG Motorola C975. £80 usually (contains £30 topped-up SIM). Guy offered me £15 discount with no SIM. I said, isnt it worth more? He said, okay, £20 discount. He said this C975 won't be as good as my LG 8120. Perhaps he thought I had a better LG? This C975 seems better....looks and feels better...perhaps cam etc are the same...seems that way.

Ben
29th December 2005, 01:26 PM
Hmm not sure WRT the insurance - you'd have to check. Orange Care prompt for renewal after 12 months.

If you like the C975 then that's all good. I can't believe he performed a bit of 'box breaking' right infront of you! :o

Hands0n
29th December 2005, 10:47 PM
IF you are handy with opening up the handset you could try this out on your U8120 but I don't accept any responsibility for what may go wrong. Any liquid bath for a mobile phone is normally bad news.

Strip the handset down to the motheboard. Immerse the motherboard into a bath of Methylated Spirit and leave to soak for about half an hour. Then using a clean unused toothbrush gently give the motherboard a scrub on both sides. Replace the Meths if it gets too contaminated with the milk residues. Leave the motherboard to dry in the air at normal room temperature.

While the motheboard is drying, use the Meths & Brush to clean up any of the other components and their contacts, but do not immerse things like microphone, speakers or LCD panel into the Meths. Just clean the contacts and the surfaces.

Once everything is dry, reassemble the handset. In about 95% of cases this will do the trick and the handset will work non the worse for its ordeal.

I have used this to clean a recent 2G handset that had taken a bath in a pint of Coke - needless to say, things did not go better with :D

Don't bin the U8120 though - give it to me :) :)

steve9025
31st December 2005, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the expert advice, HandsOn. Would send it to you if it weren't for embarrassing texts left on to it. Oh, I'm cringing just thinking about it. Might try and claim it on the insurance before attempting to fix it. Still yet to type up a proper response to your CCTV ideas. Happy Hogmanay HandsOn, and everyone else too at Talk3G!

Hands0n
31st December 2005, 09:20 AM
Hey, no worries. If the insurance don't work you could do worse than give the handset a bath :)

Happy Hogmanay and New Year to y'all too.

Ben
31st December 2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the expert advice, HandsOn. Would send it to you if it weren't for embarrassing texts left on to it.
Steve! Now you *have* to send it! :p

Have a great New Year. Perhaps your resolution should be to cut down on dairy? ;)

3GScottishUser
31st December 2005, 12:19 PM
Just reading the above, I'm not sure which I'd be least happy about.

The contamination of the LG U-8120 by the milk

or

The contamination of the milk by the LG U-8120.

Tough call!

steve9025
2nd January 2006, 02:16 AM
The contamination of the milk by the LG U-8120.

Tough call!

Hope that didn't actually happen I drank the milk after the phone debacle :D

I'd been out to pubs and nightclubs, placing my phone on whatever tables I was sitting down at (not all of them germ-free).