View Full Version : just got 903 need help

sycko
29th December 2005, 05:27 PM
hi all i just got the 903 and i thought that you could change the theme but there is no options :( the standed theme im using is nasty and i realy hope i can change it
also it says over internet that i am in 3g coverage but my handset says that im not :confused: whats all that about??

any help welcome
thanx

sycko

Gagz
29th December 2005, 07:09 PM
Hey

What Theme you talking about ? If you mean Ringtone you can go to the main menu and do the following:

Go To Settings (Bottom Right logo on main menu) > Select Profiles > Press the top left button on the keypad for options > Select Personalise from the options menu > Select Ringtone/Ringvideos option > then choose 'For Voice Call' > Then choose 'Assign Tone' > Then 'Preset Sounds' and select one of the tones from that list :) Then just work your way back to the main phone screen.

To change the wallpaper go to 'My Items' on the main menu then select 'Pictures' then just scroll for the image you want then press top right button on keypad and select 'Set As Wallpaper'.

Also if you have MP3's that you put onto the 903 via Card Reader,Bluetooth or Wap you can just go to 'My Items' on the main Menu > Select Sounds & Ringtones > then select the MP3 you want to set as a ringtone (Just press the top left button on the keypad and select 'Set As Ringtone. Also if the MP3's are on your Memory card you need to move the one you want to set as ringtone to the phone.

Urm 3G wise it seems that your sim isnt USIM activated. Call vodafone and tell them you just brought a new 3G Sharp 903 mobile and your sim card isnt USIM activated for 3G, they will take about 24hours to activate it and vwalla you should be on 3G then :)

If ya need more help just ask.

Gagz

Ben
29th December 2005, 07:13 PM
Hi sycko!

Can you be a little more clear on the 3G coverage issue? You'll only be in 3G coverage when the handset indicates that you are. You may have a weak signal, but if the phone can't use it it'll stick to 2G. If by the Internet you mean Vodafone's coverage map then unfortunately you may find it's rather exaggerated.

You may get better 3G reception if you venture outside as it doesn't go through buildings very well.

sycko
30th December 2005, 04:23 PM
hey thanx 4 the feedback guys most helpfull :)
turns out im in a bad area 4 3g (rothwell,leeds) the theme i was talking about is the option screen when u press the menu button and u get all the options i,e camera,my items,call log,settings ect ect, the colour is black with red highlight it not very colourfull but i heard u cud chaned the hole look of the icons and colours?
also i have got mp3s on my mem card but when i try to transfer them to the phone to apply them as my ringtone it says please check file or mem status even tho i have enough mem 4 the transfer :confused: i downloaded them from vodafone live so is this something thay have put on so i cant use it as a ringtone?

cheers guys

Gagz
30th December 2005, 10:43 PM
hey thanx 4 the feedback guys most helpfull :)
turns out im in a bad area 4 3g (rothwell,leeds) the theme i was talking about is the option screen when u press the menu button and u get all the options i,e camera,my items,call log,settings ect ect, the colour is black with red highlight it not very colourfull but i heard u cud chaned the hole look of the icons and colours?
also i have got mp3s on my mem card but when i try to transfer them to the phone to apply them as my ringtone it says please check file or mem status even tho i have enough mem 4 the transfer :confused: i downloaded them from vodafone live so is this something thay have put on so i cant use it as a ringtone?

cheers guys

Hey,

Urm mp3 wise i think that to set a mp3 as ringtone it needs to be a max size of 300k which shouldnt be to hard you only need like 15seconds for a ringtone anyways before it goes onto voicemail. And yeh once you have a mp3 300k or below put it to the 903's phone memory and you can set it as a ringtone :)

Urm i dont think you can change the instyle menus and whatnot of the phone, if you have the red version of the 903 or the white one the system colours are different i think, but in the UK you can only get the black 903.

Gagz

sycko
31st December 2005, 06:09 PM
shouldnt be too hard hehe :confused:
how do i drop the size down seen as my mp3s are about 3.1mb

Hands0n
31st December 2005, 07:40 PM
You're going to need a sound editor that will handle MP3 files. Cut out the segment of the sound file that you need, limiting the file size as Gagz has suggested.

Now you're probably going to ask what would be a suitable proggy to do the job! :eek: I don't use one myself but you could start off here http://www.mp3-converter.com/faq/mp3_editor.htm

sycko
1st January 2006, 12:47 PM
than mate u have been a big help
dont supose u know if my fone plays mp4 videos? i have a few on my fone but it just says "canot play" and i dont have any options
cheers

Gagz
1st January 2006, 06:27 PM
I dont think the 903 plays MP4 vids but it dont record them either so properbly you got the MP4 vids on your PC. You can find a MP4 TO 3GP converter for nothing on the net which will convert it over quite quickly and its a good quality too.

You can download this - http://www.nurs.or.jp/~calcium/3gpp/3GP_Converter034.zip

Then just like load the 'Setup' file
>'English' from the bottom left corner
>Select 'General: 3GPP+AAC General Setting'
>Click Apply
>When the next window then loads select 'QVGA High Quality 15fps Stereo' from the drop down thing in the middle
>Select a Output folder (I usually just save it in My Documents)
>Then just drag the video file you want to convert into the white area at the top :)
>Then when its done coverting put it into the Video folder on the miniSD card

Gagz

sycko
2nd January 2006, 12:04 PM
hi gagz thanx 4 the help mate :)
i have done what u have said and when the file is converting it pops up with an error log near the end and says it couldnt complete because of and error
T>Cannot load avisynth.dll and error report 2095
any ideas? :confused:

sycko
2nd January 2006, 02:03 PM
ive managed to convert them using xilisoft and they play on my fone but about 5 secs into the clip the sound goes off and doesnt come back on :confused: they are fine on the pc its just when i put them onto my fone also the qualitys pretty bad is there any programs u can use to improve the picture??
thanx mate ;)

sycko

Gagz
2nd January 2006, 03:56 PM
Hi, ok seems the prog cant convert the file cause it dosnt seem to be compatible. Sooooo we'll go the other way around which i tend to use and the videos are in Full Screen then :)

Go to this excellent Guide - http://www.debbybrown.f2s.com/sdguide/layout.htm

First thing you'll need to do is download a few progs which are worth keeping as you'll likely need them again in the future. So on the left just select your video type say if its a clip in widescreen it would be '16:9 Source' or whatever. When it loads it will tell you at the top what programmes you need.

Then just click on 'Getting Started' on the left and it has links to where you can download the programmes :) Just download them install. Then just click back onto the '16:9 Source' or whatever one you selected and just follow the easy guide :) Its not as hard as it looks. The quality is really good too. Id recomend getting a card reader/writer if you dont already have one as it saves alot of time.

Also once you dont all those steps just click on 'In Moviestage' (You will properbly already downloaded this). And thats the final step as it converts the videos into a playable format for the phone and well follow the steps its easy :) Mite take a while first time you do it especially if its a very long clip lol. But it gets much faster the more times you do it :)

If ya need any more help just ask :)

Gagz

sycko
2nd January 2006, 08:27 PM
hi mate
ive managed to get the files to play on my fone but the sound goes off 5 seconds into any video clip i put on the fone any ideas what it could be?
also when i receive files via bluetooth they work fine on other peoples fones but on my its the same the sound goes off just after the clip has started could this be a problem with the fone or is it compatability problems?
cheers

Gagz
2nd January 2006, 09:26 PM
Maybe a compatibility issue but it maybe that the audio for the particular file is set to a high bit rate which the phone cant keep up with. Could try lowering the audio bit rate with that 'Goldwave' programme :)

govale
1st March 2006, 01:55 PM
hey all i just have a question regarding putting videos on my 903 handset. i converted the file to an mp4 then tried to put it on my handset using a usb cable and the handset manager after trying to do this it said that the maximum file size i could transfer is 400kb. my question is, can i put videos of larger sizes on my phone using a memory card reader or is the maximum video file that can be transfered to the phone 400kb?
if someone could help me that would be great
and btw the 903 is a sweet phone

Ben
1st March 2006, 03:21 PM
Hello govale! Welcome to Talk3G :)

I would *imagine* that putting a larger file onto the memory card and then opening it on the handset would work. 400kb does seem like a bit of a silly limit for video. Have you tried putting on video in 3GP format? .3gp is the standard for mobile video.

(Note: 3GP is also referred to as 3GPP... I'm not sure which is correct)

govale
2nd March 2006, 02:40 PM
thanx for the reply mate. i tried converting the file to the 3gp (p) format like u suggested but i got the same message. it does make sense that i would be able to put larger files on the handset via a memory card reader, i would like to make sure before i go out and buy one.
thanx again

Gagz
6th March 2006, 10:45 PM
Ive got a card reader rather then bluetooth or any other method. Card Reader is much better as you can trasfer videos/music/pictures to the MiniSD card then just transfer them to the 903 by selecting them on the options. Its prolly best to keep them on the memory card though like me cause i rather have the phone memory as backup and sd card for main storage.

govale
7th March 2006, 02:31 PM
yeh i think i am going to have to go and buy one can u just confirm with me that you can transfer files over 400kb to the handset via the minisd card. thanx mate

Gagz
7th March 2006, 04:30 PM
Yup you can move over 400kb from MiniSD card to the handset (just made sure by transfering a 4mb mp3 file). :) card reader/writer is a much better option for 903 then bluetooth or data cable.

Ben
7th March 2006, 06:35 PM
I don't know how the price compares, but I got my 11-in-1 card reader from Mobymemory and it's fab: http://www.mobymemory.com/USB2_SD_MMC_MMCPlus_SecureDigital_RSMMC_microSD_Tr ansflash_Tflash_Memory_Card_Readers.asp

Gagz
7th March 2006, 09:31 PM
Yup but you dont really need 11 in 1 :P just a normal SD card reader/writer will do as you get the MiniSD to SD card adapter thingy with the 903, I use it all the time. My reader/writer thing only cost £5 of ebay !

govale
9th March 2006, 04:17 PM
thanx a lot for that mate im off to buy one today, you guys were very helpful most appreciated. :)

Gagz
10th March 2006, 01:05 AM
no probs, if ya need more help with your 903 just ask :D i love my 903 !